good backup software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchmaster

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2005
I want to start creating regular backups of my stuff because I've had some data loss every now and then and it's always such a hassle to start things (especially work related stuff;)) from scratch again. Is there any backup software around that's worth a try? The windows backup thingy isn't all that sophisticated it seems :p.

RAID 1

</font color=red><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ Dirty Little Sausage ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
lol don't think that's a software option..

Acronis TRUE IMAGE works real nice..... and So does Nortons GHOST

"STOP BEING LAZY AND GOOGLE IT!"

barfly

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2004
Acronis TRUE IMAGE works real nice..... and So does Nortons GHOST
I'd also go with Ghost, that's the one I'm using. It's easy to configure and stuff and you can have it create backups triggered by events you specify and so on. Does the trick for me anyway.
I'd google it and see if all the features are what you're looking for.

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Another good, simple program is StompSoft's PC Backup (formerly called Backup My PC). Has support for UNC backup paths (both source and destination), which allows for multi-PC backup on your local network to a single location. Works very well in anything up to a medium-sized office environment. Not that expensive either, at $60, considering its capabilities. Check it out here.

-J

matchmaster

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2005
Thanks for all the information. Yesterday I read something about Norton Save & Restore and after checking it out I think it sounds very good but also exactly like Norton Ghost. Is there a difference between them?

Phil_Connors

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Thanks for all the information. Yesterday I read something about Norton Save & Restore and after checking it out I think it sounds very good but also exactly like Norton Ghost. Is there a difference between them?

Yes, there is a difference:

Save and Restore lets you make backups from individual files and folders also. You can chose what you want in your backup, either the full system, or just specific files/folders, or even everything of a particular filetype like all your photos.

And there are features that let you deal with those archives, like te ability to restore just single files from a backup, or a way to search your backups for a file from a particular date. So if you have several old versions backed up, you can look for which one you want restored.

flaflu

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I use a little tool called TrackMyFiles. I wouldn't call it a backup tool, but it automatically keeps track of any changes done to your files and stores it into a repository. It's great for work related stuff like office files, since you can go back in time and restore any previous version.

jt1117

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
Has anyone used Memeo? or SyncBack? Any opinions, good or bad, on either?
Just got a Buffalo external HD and it comes with Memeo software. It's all still Greek to me. Any input would be appreciated.

BTW, why even need to use backup software? Can't I just copy (backup) my hard drive to the external drive with the Windows backup utility?

WearWolf

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
Looking for a backup? here's a curve ball for y; and its free too..

IBM/Lenovo's "Rescue & Recovery"

You know when you read all about press the "blue" button solution on IBM machines in their ads? This is the program they use. Freely available off their ThinkVantage site...

crazy idea, but hey worth a shot

G

Hi

I have recently found a backup program that i think is fantastic Dmailer Backup.

The reasons it works for me are because.

-It compatible with mac and windows so i can backup both my work and home computer.
-It runs directly from a portable device no installation needed. (I have a portable hard drive)
-Best of all it has an automatic backup feature which automatically backs up your files as you use them.

So when i get to work or home all i do is plug my portable hard drive into my computer. The program automatically runs and backs up your data as you work. Then at the end of the day i disconnect the drive and go home. You can download dmailer backup from.

www.dmailer.com

If anyone has an easier application to use than this i would like to hear about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS