Antivirus for Windows XP

September 17, 2005 6:26:02 AM

Hi,

I have been a loyal fan of Norton Antivirus and Norton System Works since
Windows 95 and until recently, I used Norton on my Windows XP.

After numerous reformats I have decided to quit Norton.

I am currently using AVG Free Edition.

Any advice what's the best antivirus for Windows XP that won't cause
conflicts, but does the job without slowing down the system?

Thank you.

More about : antivirus windows

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 2:37:37 PM

Ony you can decide what's best for you. I suggest you read the reviews in computer magazines (which are easily accessible and searchable on the web.)

Ted Zieglar

"ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3BE986BF-F972-47D8-927A-58AE11E36156@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have been a loyal fan of Norton Antivirus and Norton System Works since
> Windows 95 and until recently, I used Norton on my Windows XP.
>
> After numerous reformats I have decided to quit Norton.
>
> I am currently using AVG Free Edition.
>
> Any advice what's the best antivirus for Windows XP that won't cause
> conflicts, but does the job without slowing down the system?
>
> Thank you.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 5:26:11 PM

You are already using it: AVG Free edition. There is also Avast which many
recommend. I've used both but always go back to AVG free version.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this post. The Author shall not be liable for any
direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post..

"ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been a loyal fan of Norton Antivirus and Norton System Works since
> Windows 95 and until recently, I used Norton on my Windows XP.
>
> After numerous reformats I have decided to quit Norton.
>
> I am currently using AVG Free Edition.
>
> Any advice what's the best antivirus for Windows XP that won't cause
> conflicts, but does the job without slowing down the system?
>
> Thank you.
September 17, 2005 6:17:06 PM

Stick with AVG Free Edition. Remember to manually check for updates, by
right-clicking your system tray icon for AVG and clicking 'Check for
Updates'.

Donny Broome
donny AT broomeman DOT com
Kill Spyware! Visit:
http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/

"ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been a loyal fan of Norton Antivirus and Norton System Works since
> Windows 95 and until recently, I used Norton on my Windows XP.
>
> After numerous reformats I have decided to quit Norton.
>
> I am currently using AVG Free Edition.
>
> Any advice what's the best antivirus for Windows XP that won't cause
> conflicts, but does the job without slowing down the system?
>
> Thank you.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 10:56:26 PM

Greetings,

I too use AVG Free Edition. I've used Trend Micro Internet Security 2004,
last year. It was pretty stable and quite fast. However, the new beta
version of Trend Micro internet Security 2005 seems to take up a lot of RAM.
Actually it takes up about 60MB. Too much!

I don't recommend folks to use or even touch Norton Internet Security 2005
nor McAfee. Both products are "resource hungry".

If you have patient, I suggest you wait for Microsoft Windows OneCare Live
will be a fine solution for your anti-virus needs.

Regards,

--
Best of luck,

Jose Francisco
jose@xpsource.com or josefarrugia@gmail.com
XPSource - http://www.xpsource.com

"ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been a loyal fan of Norton Antivirus and Norton System Works since
> Windows 95 and until recently, I used Norton on my Windows XP.
>
> After numerous reformats I have decided to quit Norton.
>
> I am currently using AVG Free Edition.
>
> Any advice what's the best antivirus for Windows XP that won't cause
> conflicts, but does the job without slowing down the system?
>
> Thank you.
September 18, 2005 6:11:20 AM

In news:3BE986BF-F972-47D8-927A-58AE11E36156@microsoft.com,
ScREWtop <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> I have been a loyal fan of Norton Antivirus and Norton System Works
> since Windows 95 and until recently, I used Norton on my Windows XP.
>
> After numerous reformats I have decided to quit Norton.
>
> I am currently using AVG Free Edition.
>
> Any advice what's the best antivirus for Windows XP that won't cause
> conflicts, but does the job without slowing down the system?
>
> Thank you.

Well, seeing as you didn't say free as a requirement... Try Kaspersky if you
want something that is top of the line, well priced, and generally well
behaved.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
August 22, 2007 8:43:37 PM

all norton sw is far too big, complex, resource hungry, interferes with everything and its far too expensive.

avg free is wonderful for all the opposite reasons.

baz
August 23, 2007 12:22:57 AM

Hey blubaz, this thread is almost 2 years old.
!