Quiet Case Fans

G

I am in search of some extremely quiet case fans. Everything else is supposed to be silent, but my three fans produce a lot of noise. Does anyone has any suggestions on good, silent case fans that actually do work?

G

I play in a lot of Lan games and the noise can be very distracting, especially when just sitting out there. Also, when a computer is lounder then all of the 30+ computers in a computer lab, then it is too loud (though the labs computers probably only have low watt power fans). It is just distracting when I have to do things such as type. Also, it isn't fun to hear your fans while listening to music.

G

As your question implies, the quieter fans usually don't perform as well. I can't say that I know of any specific, good performing, quiet fan. I don't know what you currently have or what your cooling needs are.

I'd suggest going to some place that sells various fans and getting some that aren't as fast and don't move as much air as yours do. Of course this is hit-and-miss, but I don't know of any other way to do it. Perhaps someone else has another recommendation.

Mike

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
High quality PC power supplies sometimes have quite cooling fans. Even some of the low wattage units have high flow fans to keep them cool. This is a must for some OEMs. I have about 30 of them here, and I compare them whenever I build a sytme for myself. The DESIGN of the blades and the QUALITY of the bearings are just as important as flow to noise output. I have some CHEAP NOISY fnas with LOW OUTPUT as well as Quite fans with high output. Power supply fans are normally PC fan sized and 12 volt! The only difference is the connector! Finally a good use for any AT power supplies you might have laying around!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
High quality PC power supplies sometimes have quite cooling fans. Even some of the low wattage units have high flow fans to keep them cool. This is a must for some OEMs. I have about 30 of them here, and I compare them whenever I build a sytme for myself. The DESIGN of the blades and the QUALITY of the bearings are just as important as flow to noise output. I have some CHEAP NOISY fnas with LOW OUTPUT as well as Quite fans with high output. Power supply fans are normally PC fan sized and 12 volt! The only difference is the connector! Finally a good use for any AT power supplies you might have laying around! Panaflow (Panasonic/Matsushita) makes some good ones, and there are better ones than those, too.

G

My FOP 38 is pretty quiet...

WHEN I SMOTHER IT WITH A PILLOW!
--it is a nice conversation piece though...

IF YOU CAN HEAR THE CONVERSATION!

<font color=blue>What good is 200fps in Quake III Arena when my monitor will only refresh at 85Hz? =)