DWL 520 Strange Problem

Hi.

Purchased a D-Link DWL-520 wireless network card over a year ago and
other than running an occasional "Repair" from the XP SP2 network
connection page everything worked ok. Even when I reconfigured it for
WEP security three months ago everything still worked fine, until one
week ago.

It still shows an "excellent" signal strength to my base (Motorola SBG
1000) and it is acquires an IP address, however it doesn't connect to
the Internet. When I ping its address from another PC in my household
it times out (pinging from this problem PC - it's a Dell, to another PC
works). I've exhausted my knowledge on this one (changed the
properties, removed security, released the address, and a dozen other
things)

The only clue I possibly have is that it stopped working soon after
running Norton Virus protection.

Could it be a virus, or do I just have a bad card? Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Try this:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

aww91@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Purchased a D-Link DWL-520 wireless network card over a year ago and
> other than running an occasional "Repair" from the XP SP2 network
> connection page everything worked ok. Even when I reconfigured it for
> WEP security three months ago everything still worked fine, until one
> week ago.
>
> It still shows an "excellent" signal strength to my base (Motorola SBG
> 1000) and it is acquires an IP address, however it doesn't connect to
> the Internet. When I ping its address from another PC in my household
> it times out (pinging from this problem PC - it's a Dell, to another PC
> works). I've exhausted my knowledge on this one (changed the
> properties, removed security, released the address, and a dozen other
> things)
>
> The only clue I possibly have is that it stopped working soon after
> running Norton Virus protection.
>
> Could it be a virus, or do I just have a bad card? Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

DS

Airman Thunderbird wrote:
> Try this:
> http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
>
> aww91@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Purchased a D-Link DWL-520 wireless network card over a year ago and
>> other than running an occasional "Repair" from the XP SP2 network
>> connection page everything worked ok. Even when I reconfigured it for
>> WEP security three months ago everything still worked fine, until one
>> week ago.
>>
>> It still shows an "excellent" signal strength to my base (Motorola SBG
>> 1000) and it is acquires an IP address, however it doesn't connect to
>> the Internet. When I ping its address from another PC in my household
>> it times out (pinging from this problem PC - it's a Dell, to another PC
>> works). I've exhausted my knowledge on this one (changed the
>> properties, removed security, released the address, and a dozen other
>> things)
>>
>> The only clue I possibly have is that it stopped working soon after
>> running Norton Virus protection.
>>
>> Could it be a virus, or do I just have a bad card? Any help would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,

If that doesn't work there is a good chance that it is broke.
Can't think of the term at the moment but I have seen where the
internals can go where it can send but not receive or the opposite.
Try it in another machine and see if the same happens.

Will try and let you know results. Thanks for taking the time to reply.