Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Confusion about PC Games and DVDs

Last response: in Video Games
March 14, 2012 12:50:35 PM

So I am sort of new to PC gaming, but I am confused on the matters of activation and product keys.
I purchased Fallout 3 GOTY on DVD for the PC, and installed it. My understanding was that once installed
I could just shelve the case and disks and not need them, but that doesn't seem to be true.

So I have to have disk one in the drive to start the game. To avoid this could I rip the disk
using imgburn and then just load it via Daemon Tools? I don't really want the noise of a disc drive
and decreased performance that it may yield.

If I do a rebuild in a year, can I still play Fallout 3 on my new computer, or is the key essentially only good once?
Would it be possible to call tech support and have the key transferred to a new computer if needed?

More about : confusion games dvds

March 14, 2012 1:16:49 PM

Using tools like Daemon Tools actually is considered piracy because what it does is bypass the copy protection (DRM) of the game. This applies even though you have bought the game. The DVD will not constantly be spinning in the DVD drive, but the game will check once in a while to make sure it is there.

If you do not want to be bothered with disc noise, then you should download the Steam version of the game. Since it is a purely digital version of the game there is no physical disc to install in the DVD drive.

You can reinstall Fallout 3 as many time as you want on a single PC as long as you don't loose the activation key. This does not allow you to install Fallout 3 using the same activation key on multiple computers. Doing so is considered piracy.
Score
March 14, 2012 1:31:30 PM

jaguarskx said:
Using tools like Daemon Tools actually is considered piracy because what it does is bypass the copy protection (DRM) of the game. This applies even though you have bought the game. The DVD will not constantly be spinning in the DVD drive, but the game will check once in a while to make sure it is there.

If you do not want to be bothered with disc noise, then you should download the Steam version of the game. Since it is a purely digital version of the game there is no physical disc to install in the DVD drive.

You can reinstall Fallout 3 as many time as you want on a single PC as long as you don't loose the activation key. This does not allow you to install Fallout 3 using the same activation key on multiple computers. Doing so is considered piracy.

Yeah but I already bought the DVD version. Had to get my Amazon order up to $25 for free shipping, so FO3 was the filler item.
I installed the disc, but I was wondering if I buy a new computer, then I can't transfer the game to the new machine, correct?
So if the game is uninstalled from the current computer, and I build another PC, I can't transfer the game to that machine, right?
Score
Related resources
March 14, 2012 1:44:50 PM

The game also seems to be running awfully unstable. I know Bethesda games are unstable, but this is ridiculous.
Haven't even got a save started coming out of the Vault, and it has froze probably 2 times, and crashed 2 times.

:fou: 

i3-2100 and 6850
Score
March 14, 2012 2:00:36 PM

You can install Fallout 3 on to another computer as long as you uninstall FO3 on the current PC. Therefore, you don't need to worry about buying FO3 again. There are some games that limits the number of times you can install the game from the DVD before you need to call publisher's (like EA) customer support to unlock your activation code so that you can reinstall the game. FO3 does not have any reinstall limits. You can reinstall FO3 10,000 times assuming the DVD has not been scratched up by then.

Generally, you cannot simply "transfer" a game from an old computer to a new computer. You must install the game. This is because Windows has something called the Registry. The installation process writes entries to the Registry to basically let Windows know that a certain program or game exists on the PC. Without those entries the program or game will most likely not run.
Score

Best solution

March 14, 2012 2:09:08 PM

For whatever reason FO3 has issues with mult-core CPUs in a PC with Windows 7 installed. I assume that is the OS you are using.

There is Fallout.ini file that you can edit which should take care of the issue; at least it does for most people with Win 7. That file should be located on the C: drive in the following folder:

My documents / My Games / Fallout3

Look for a section that should be called General Group. Then copy and paste the following at the end of that section. That should take care of your stability issues.

bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

March 14, 2012 2:11:47 PM

Per Bethesda's website FO3 is not officially supported in Windows 7.
Score
March 14, 2012 10:42:16 PM

Thanks for all the information!

I will try using that code you posted, because the game is getting really bad between freezes and crashes.
I was able to run other games at pretty much max settings without many issues, this one I can barely get out of the gate.
I don't even dare trying to go to the desktop via Alt + Tab because that pretty much insta-crashes the game.
Score
March 15, 2012 1:55:12 AM

The change was instant once I got those two lines of code in the right area.
The game is running perfectly now. 1080P and all.

Thank you very much!
Score
!