Blinking screen

marnu123

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Hi all

I've been playing MW 3 for quite a while now. But I have one problem. My screen goes blank during play for about 3 sec and comes back again. It's really annoying because I get killed every time this happens. Same happens with ME 3, so its not the game.

I have a Samsung BX2331 screen with a converter from HDMI to DVI. Could this be the problem? Also, I have a Geforce 9500 GT amp!

Thanks. Your help is appreciated

DM186

Splendid
What does does amp mean? Your monitor is not the problem. Please could you post your system spec's. Have you tried to time it as when it starts then how long inbetween to the next time?

Are you checking your temps? What is your PSU brand and how many watts it is? Most likely it is not the adapter. Have you undid it and put it back to gether this adapter? Do you have all of your drivers up to date?

Have you wiggled the adapter when on to see if that causes it to react? Please repost the answers and we will see if we can get this annoying problem to go away.

marnu123

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
There is no consistent interval at all. It happens at random times. I have the newest Nvidia drivers. GPU heat or PSU ain't the problem since I run dual screen. Also this computer is +- 3 years old. This started to happen when I got my new Samsung screen, and it only happens on the Samsung. The Amp! is part of Zotac's overclocked series of GPU's. And sometimes this blinking does not happen at all.

Does this help?

marnu123

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Specs: Core 2 duo e7400 @ 2.8Ghz. 4Gb Ram. 400 watt PSU. GPU Geforce 9500GT amp! Gigabyte G41MT-S2P Motherboard. Win XP Pro 32 bit

the temps aren't the problem since you run dual screens? what the hell is that supposed to mean?

try different cable, try not using the HDMI to DVI converter.

what is the core load, memory load and temperature on your GPU?

I don't see a spec for whether this is a 60 or 120 hz monitor, I'll assume it's a 60hz

what resolution are you running the game on? what were you using before you got the new monitor?

marnu123

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
The temps are normal and dual screen is a bigger load. Haven't tried a different cable. Res= 1920x1080. 60hz. Before this I used a different screen. It's res was 1366x768

DM186

Splendid
I have a few more questions. Did you upgrade anything before this problem started? Or this has been a problem from the first time you played it or did this come on later?

If the problem came on later after lets say a driver upgrade, have you tried to roll back your drivers to a point when you knew everything worked just fine? How old is the GPU?

Your rig might be running out of steam because running 2 cores on XP Pro with the 9500gt and playing those types of games. You are demanding a lot from that old setup.

Don't take that what I just said is the problem. It is just another possibility to your problem. I see a lot rigs like yours and it seems they all have issues with the new game of today.

marnu123

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Might be. Anyway, sorted out BSOD problem. Network drivers.
My PC is about 3 years old. Will be upgrading when Ivy bridge comes out. Sandy Bridge should be cheaper then. My PC ran MW3 at full graphics and still does. Just the blinking monitor. ME3 runs at lower graphics, but still blinks. Could it be because of the resolution? It only happens at 1920x1080. Could it be the HDMI cable not transmitting data fast enough?

most likely its a monitor setting. at certain times its getting a signal to reset the input... and is resetting to default, then scanning for the appropriate output to put a picture on screen.
set your screen manually via the monitors input options to digital, if your using dvi or analog if your using vga. if your using a dvi to vga converter then choose digital also... 1s set it should stop the switch off and cycle, cycle.

marnu123

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Found the problem. I am now using an analog port and the blinking stopped. My father brought another VGA - HDMI cable and this had the same problem. Would this problem maybe be solved if I used a HDMI - HDMI cable/port solution. I shall be getting myself a GTX 460/560 in the near future. Does this have an HDMI output?

Thanks

DM186

Splendid

Yes it does. Good for you on finding the problem. Hats off to you on your fix. Good luck to you and I hope that problem never comes back.