duron 650 not over 800?

G

I have a duron 650 on a asus a7v. my L1 bridges were already connected (I bought both mobo and cpu when they were released). I can easily overclock it to 800 and I think it could go further, because temp. and voltage are still quite low. but when I set it to 850 and boot I just get a black screen. no bios msg, nothing. when I reset I directly get into the bios that tells my the system hung up due to improper speed settings. any idea how to avoid this? I already raised the voltage...

G

hmm... I tried 900 and like in 850 i just have a black screen... and after some seconds it starts beeping. I really dunno why. is there maybe a jumper or bios setting I have wrong? or can this have something to do with the pc-133 ram I use? I really dunno why I don't even see a bios msg or anything when it boots. Or is it possible that not all L1 bridges are closed and that this prevent the system from going over 800. I doubt that because I think it would at least display any bios msg or something... but maybe I'm wrong

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just to let you know you should DEFINITLY use the new jumper setting on the web page. The reason your computer starts beeping is because there is a serious problem with the system which is stopping it from powering-up. Take note of the sequence of beeps (ie the length of the beep and time between them) and look in the motherboard manual, it should tell you what the beeps stand for. This is the way your bios is trying to tell you what is wrong, It can't power-up so it communicates with beeps! It sounds like you may be using the wrong jumper settings for the reason stated before.

If all the bridges weren't closed properly then it would be impossible to adjust the multiplier, so I think you can be fairly certain that isn't the problem.

Also try UNDERclocking your FSB and using higher multiples... it may be worth a try to see if its your CPU that can handle the speed or not and would eliminate any RAM doubts. If your FSB is not overclocked then there won't be a problem with the RAM anyway.

Afterall, 650@800 is pritty good, no?

Anyway, best of luck

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by McEwin on 12/17/00 01:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I finally found the solution for my problem. I always used the bios to set the core voltage. now I use the jumpers and now it's running @ 900mhz with 1.85V stable. I dunno why it didn't worked with the bios and why the bios worked with 800 and also set the correct voltage then. hmm... well at least it's workin now

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Great, it's usually something simple like this that gets overlooked.
I was not aware you could set the voltage from the bios. Maybe I will go back and read my manual better.