HELP!! i screwed up overclocking A7-V

shmoes

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Help, i was at a buddies house and showing him some stuff, and i was showing him how to overclock his (3day old)A7-V 900mhz Athlon .. it wasn't meant to run at the speed, just showing him how to do it. well initialy it went to 990 without problems, restarted, set it higher. and the computer hung. naturally i thought with asus system hang safety it would return to bios when i restarted again. however .. the computer sounded like it turned on, but nothing was coming up on the monitor .. i cannot get back into the bios to reset the cpu freq ... i tried opening the computer and changing the settings to jumper mode from jumper free mode.. but still nothing, anyhelp PLEASE!! :(

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Set it to jumper free mode and put all the dipswitches to off. This should let it auto detect the settings.
And in the future, don't increase the voltage by the bios, do it using the jumpers, the bios is unreliable.

shmoes

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i did, tried both .. problem is nothing is autodetecting, and nothing comes on the monitor although the computers sounds like it's running .. (eg does ramcheck )

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Check the manual, it should indicate a small jumper. Just switch the jumper to what it says in the manual for 5 seconds then switch it back and it should be reset.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is a way to clear the bios by using a jumper. I think its on page 36 or 46 of the manual. It is a jumper right next to the battery. You put the jumper on and it basically shorts out the bios and clears everything. If this doesn't work, you will own you friend an apology and about $150.

shmoes

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok thanks. yea he was going to take it back to the place he bought it, but i was hoping to fix it tonight.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an A7V and was looking at the manual, on page 14 it shows a jumper next to the battery called "CLRTC".
Is this the jumper that resets the bios?

G

Taking out the battery is a little tricky...much easier to just short it out quickly with the tip of a screwdriver. I built a couple of systems with the A7V, and every time had to do this before everything worked as normal.

DESIGN TEAM.

G

To reset the bios on the A7V there are two little contatcts (not jumpers)just above and to the right of the battery. With the system unplugged use a flat head screwdriver or something similar to touch both the contact points at once. This will reset the bios.
Page 14 of your A7V manual shows the picture..its labled CLRTC or try page 59 for a closer view.

shmoes

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks guys, i shorted the cmos using the 2 points, i should have looked harder in the manual, i was just looking under reset bios .. but it's actually under forgetting password .. so thanks all for your help, all is well and the computer is working great.

G

A7V automatically resets BIOS everytime it crashes that have to do with something wrong in BIOS settings.

You cannot clear CMOS anymore, it does it by itself, thats why the jumpers was removed.

Removing the battery have no bad effect what so ever except all date and time will be lost, no big deal and BIOS setting will revert to default, no big deal. Thats what you want anyway. THERE IS NO DANGER!!!!!!

CLRTC IS NOT CLRCMOS please don't mix up

It is very danderous people see what they want to see and not what its meant to be :(

My uncle had a comp magazine com and have a bunch of reviewers who write stuffs that you will make you puke if you read it, and I write email to him pointing out all the silly mistakes like Duron have L2 256k and etc.

All he says is that he got customers reply saying he is good and thats all he cares.

I can't believe people delute themselve these badly now a days.

By the way, my friend Banshee died on him when he O/C his P2-450, the strangest thing that I've ever seen.

Try changing a graphics or whatever component until the computer will turn on.

Best regards
cx5

G

Just in case someone get confused why I said CLRTC is not CLRCMOS, this is what the A7V Manual says:- pg 59

If you forget the password, you can clear the password by erasing CMOS Real Time Clock (RTC) Ram. The RAM data containing the password information is powered by the onboard cell battery. To erase the RTC RAM: (1)Unplug your computer; (2)Short the solder points, (3)Turn ON your cmoputer; (4)Hold down <Delete> during bootup and enter BIOS setup t ore-enter user preferences.

Its a shame it doesn't say it will reset itself automatically, but the point I am trying to make is, it knows when to resets itself when something happens, which can be very often if you always try different settings and higher O/C.

The feature is for you to clear password rather than erasing the wrong settings in BIOS.

Best regards
cx5

shmoes

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
obviously i appreciate your reply. however ...

there was a problem .. A7v DID NOT goto bios with the system crash (as i expected it to) and clearing the cmos with the soder points worked exactly as they said it would.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had a strong feeling that this would work. Had to do it on my Asus CUSL2 before. It all has to do with WHEN the system locks as to IF Asus will jump back to normal and post setup. So how's that for a shot in fc's chin?

G

I think you really have to reset the BIOS. Yes it's probably the CLRTC "jumper" as was mentioned. Taking the battery out doesn't work (I voided the warranty on my 2 day old Athlon / Asus K7V system after I ripped out the "Warranty void if.. aarrrgghh!!" sticker over the battery, stupid store put warranty tags over everything, my dad didn't belive I could build the thing myself).

To short the CLRTC (if that's the name), just connect the 2 dots with something that conducts electricity. Alumunium foil would do, or yes a tip of a flat --wide-- screwdriver.

Hopefully the system will boot up afterwards. It should be in jumper-free to let the BIOS think for itself.

In my case, the PC wouldn't boot after I changed the RAM from 100 to 133 (I didn't know which it was), I couldn't reset the BIOS, so I set it from jumper-free to jumper mode and told it that the RAM is 100. Well, it booted, damn what a relief (considering it was my first ATX system, and my dad would probably not be very happy if we had to take it back to the store 2 days after we got it, with the warranty voided.. haha. But I won at the end :> )

Later that day, I was reading the manual again and saw the page about that "CLRTC" pin. Yeah, you know the feeling...

Well, in short, RTFM (Read the F------ Manual) and good luck!

By the way, I don't think you heard the thing check the RAM, nowadays they don't make any noise doing that. It was probably the harddisk spinning up. Try unplugging the power from the harddisk and you probably won't hear a thing. Or if it's clicking noises, it could be the CD-ROM drive checking to see if there's any CDs in it.