72 Hour Suspension? Fair or Unfair? How do you like your c..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 30, 2005 1:14:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

what is posted on your website and the link you replied to me with. I
quote:

>"* Obscene/Vulgar
>This category includes both clear and masked language which:
>- Is an inappropriate reference to human anatomy or bodily functions
>- Is pornographic in nature
>
>*If a player is found to have used such language, he/she may:
>Be given a warning"
>
>.....You know very well that when I said "pussy" I meant "wimp" or
"gutless"
>and not a reference to a woman's anatomy. Words have many different
definitions. Please tell me, will I be suspended again if I use the
word "Bush" when refering to a plant? You guys have your minds in the
gutter and are obviously just looking for excuses to suspend people.

>Besides all that.... it says that a player will "Be given a warning"
on the link you provided me. What warning did I receive???? The GM
wouldnt even talk to me or tell me what I had done wrong, in fact I
was positive it was a mistake.

>Besides all that... and granted this is a minor thing, but what I
wrote wasnt in english!! You are making an assumption that it even
says what you think it says.....

>I say again... Please reinstate me or credit me for 3 days. This
suspension is harsh and represents you *violating what is written on
your own website*.
>I am a thirty year old mature adult, I am the least of your problems.
Please show me that your not running a completely mindless system and
are capable of some thought.

-------------------------------------

>From: <wowaccountadmin@blizzard.com>
>To: ****
>Subject: World of Warcraft - Account Issue
>Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:39:58 -0800
>
>Greetings,
>
>Thank you for the follow-up email. The Obscene Vulgar and
Inappropriate policy(s) has been violated and as a result the action
taken on the account will not be reduced or reversed. Thank you.

>Regards,
>****
>Account Administration
>Blizzard Entertainment

-------------------------------------

I plead for someone who is more senior to review this matter.

I say again.... it is YOU who have violated YOUR "Obscene Vulgar and
Inppropirate policy(s)." Please correct me if I am incorrect. I will
quote them again:

""""""
* Obscene/Vulgar
This category includes both clear and masked language which:
- Is an inappropriate reference to human anatomy or bodily functions
- Is pornographic in nature

*If a player is found to have used such language, he/she may:
Be given a warning
""""""

.....There was NO warning and NO reference to human anatomy.

.....I ask again, if I say the word "bush" in game while referring to a
'plant' or 'being lame' will I be punished?

.....And I ask that you forward my emails to a manager or someone in a
position to think not someone that sends form letters mindlessly.

As an end note, you have completely turned me off WoW and reconfirmed
my doubts about Blizzard. I purchased Everquest2 this afternoon
because of the annoyance and lack of response you have given me, not
to mention the queues. If you are trying to drive customers away -
well done.

I intend to follow this through until you "make good on your words"
(see quote above).

PLEASE FORWARD THIS ENTIRE THREAD TO SOMEONE AUTHORIZED TO MAKE
DECISIONS. I will be calling on Monday to follow up (despite the fact
that my suspension ends Sunday). I would appreciate a real answer not
a minimum-wage-form-letter-go-away answer.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 3:45:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

DENIAL!

You were in the wrong.

Deal with it.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:23:29 AM

"Johnny Bravo" <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >PLEASE FORWARD THIS ENTIRE THREAD TO SOMEONE AUTHORIZED TO MAKE
> >DECISIONS.
>
> Why, you think you have some special rights that no one else has?

As if anyone would want to help him ;)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 9:28:05 AM

Dark Tyger wrote:
> But your opinion doesn't set the standards. It is considered offensive
> by many people. It gets bleeped by the filter, and he clearly went out
> of his way to spell out the word without it getting filtered.

It was probably as much or more bypassing the filter with d00d that got him
as it was the word.

--
chainbreaker
Anonymous

"Dennis" <spliffeh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

lol quite being a pussy and deal with it.
you clearly violated the terms of user agreement.
you "may be" given a warning, and you may not be.
anyone older than the age of 8 can tell the difference in, for lack of a
word, severity between "pussy" and "bush".
and let me assure you, the old "i'm gonna take my business elsewhere"
routine wont help you at all. barking orders at a GM via email will not get
your "concerns" addressed any faster, if anything they'll put you on a back
burner.
if youre leaving, why the hell would they bother to follow-up on your case
anyways. do you really thing theyre gonna miss your $15 a month?
seriously, if you posted here looking for sympathy, i doubt you'll find it.

lee
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 9:33:08 AM

"Lee Watkins" <LWATKIN1@corpus.stx.rr.com> wrote:

>> As an end note, you have completely turned me off WoW and reconfirmed
>> my doubts about Blizzard.

Also, the fact that they'll actually act against tossers like you is
one of the best arguments I've seen in favor of playing WoW. I may
just have to give it a whirl one of these days.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

>anyone older than the age of 8 can tell the difference in, for lack of a
>word, severity between "pussy" and "bush".

I disagree. The use of the word "pussy" to describe a wimp is
not vulgar or obscene.

C//
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:46:00 AM

Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
] After about 5 minutes of Googling, I was unable to find anything on the
] origin of using "pussy" to mean wimpy. I can see it going either way.
] That is, both the feline meaning and the vulgar reference to women meaing
] would work as ways to call a man weak or wimpy. Pussy seems to be a
] versatile word here. :-)

Hmm. I know several people online who call their cats 'pussy', no
double entendres meant. It has meant coward, it can also mean
something derogatory. Googling doesn't always get all of the
meanings of a word.

JimP.
--
djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
http://wargame.drivein-jim.net/ WoW blog Jan 28, 2005

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
] There are women who consider that to be an "endearing name"?

"Whats up Pussycat ?" a move made some years ago. It wasn't
considered dirty.

Bandwagon ahoy ! But I am not jumpig on the bandwagon, why thats
dirty.

JimP.
--
djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
http://wargame.drivein-jim.net/ WoW blog Jan 28, 2005
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D Dec 29, 2004
http://evergame.drivein-jim.net/blog/ Everquest January 10, 2005
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:55:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Just my 2 cents on this:

I think that the specifics for the policy (what words are not allowed)
is not the issue here.

I have not played on their servers (for any game), but from what I can
gather from this thread, you used a word which their filter traps and
censors. Then you used a misspelling of the word deliberately to avoid
having the word filtered.

Regardless of the reason for doing so, You were obviously deliberately
trying to evade the filter- abusing the system. If you disagree that
the word should be filtered, fine, but you should have addressed this
issue BEFORE you decided that the rule shouldn't apply to you.

I think your suspension was more for trying to circumvent the rules
than simply for violating them.

I'm sure you don't like it when someone gets by your e-mail filter with
a subject like:
"\/|a. G.ra"
It's the same concept, only in a more public location.
January 30, 2005 11:04:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Dennis wrote:

/It's not my not, it's not fair, help me please./

Be a man Dennis, take your punishment a stop being a pussy.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:04:51 AM

On 29 Jan 2005 22:14:50 -0800, Dennis wrote:

> PLEASE FORWARD THIS ENTIRE THREAD TO SOMEONE AUTHORIZED TO MAKE
> DECISIONS. I will be calling on Monday to follow up (despite the fact
> that my suspension ends Sunday).

You need to call. Your letter won't be forwarded, and you will not get any
satisfactory response via email. Your only option is to call, if you feel
strongly about it, and try to get a supervisor. It's crucial that you stay
calm, though. If you are emotional, you lose. Also, your focus should not
be the reactivation of the account (this makes you look like a hopeless
addict in their eyes, and the person you will speak to won't be able to
relate), but getting credit for the three days of paid-for but lost
service.

M.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:04:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:04:51 +0100, Michael Vondung
<mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

> but getting credit for the three days of paid-for but lost
>service.

Won't happen. He violated the terms of the service contract he agreed
to.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:09:16 AM

]
] "Whats up Pussycat ?" a move made some years ago. It wasn't
] considered dirty.

sorry, not move, but a movie.

Jimp.
--
djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
http://wargame.drivein-jim.net/ WoW blog Jan 28, 2005
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D Dec 29, 2004
http://evergame.drivein-jim.net/blog/ Everquest January 10, 2005
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:21:54 AM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 01:15:04 -0600, Lokari wrote:

> Also, the fact that they'll actually act against tossers like you is
> one of the best arguments I've seen in favor of playing WoW.

I realise that your article is just flamebait, but the issue here is not
their vulgarity policy, but the random ways in which they enforce it. You
can and will see far worse than a differently spelled "pussy", even actual
character names, and nothing is done about those. While not native to the
English language and thus perhaps unqualified to make that statement, I do
not consider the word "pussy" (as in: "coward") an actionable insult/vulgar
expression according to Blizzard's own terms. So, in short, the issue here
is inconsistency and a lack of transparency.

M.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:46:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 07:30:18 -0800, Courageous <dontwant@spam.com>
wrote:

>>anyone older than the age of 8 can tell the difference in, for lack of a
>>word, severity between "pussy" and "bush".
>
>I disagree. The use of the word "pussy" to describe a wimp is
>not vulgar or obscene.

Wrong. As someone else said, this use of the term is meant to imply
the person has one, basically calling them a girl. Not only is it
actually vulgar (albeit not as severely so as a lot of other words and
terms out there), but also extremely sexist.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:53:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

"Dennis" <spliffeh@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I see a lot of people taking Blizzards side on this, but Id be willing to
bet hard cash that if they were being banned they would sing a different
tune.
Since when is "pussy" inappropriate language?

I see it over and over in the Blizzard forums, when someone gets unfairly
treated, everyone else likes to jump on the cheer blizzard bandwagon,
regardless of the rights or wrongs of the particular case.
If you think Blizzard did the right thing here, then you are a jerk. Just my
2c.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:53:42 AM

"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in message
news:p g1Ld.141195$K7.138990@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> I see it over and over in the Blizzard forums, when someone gets unfairly
> treated, everyone else likes to jump on the cheer blizzard bandwagon,
> regardless of the rights or wrongs of the particular case.

No one has fanboys quite like Blizzard does. For crying out loud, the
company used spyware on its customers and still they defended them lol. I'm
sure that some of these guys would continue to defend the company even if
they made TV cameras and rectal probes a standard part of installation.

Having said that, I agree that the company has a right to enforce its
standards any way it wants to. I wouldn't have suspended anyone for using
the term "pussy", but I wouldn't bitch about it if I got nabbed doing it
either.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
January 30, 2005 12:41:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

In article <elc00fsx1pes$.1p5bannqnxfjc$.dlg@40tude.net>,
mvondung@gmail.com says...
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 01:15:04 -0600, Lokari wrote:
>
> I realise that your article is just flamebait, but the issue here is not
> their vulgarity policy, but the random ways in which they enforce it. You
> can and will see far worse than a differently spelled "pussy", even actual
> character names, and nothing is done about those.

Like what?

> While not native to the
> English language and thus perhaps unqualified to make that statement, I do
> not consider the word "pussy" (as in: "coward") an actionable insult/vulgar
> expression according to Blizzard's own terms. So, in short, the issue here
> is inconsistency and a lack of transparency.

As a native to the english language: 'pussy' is *widely* regarded to be
slang for the vulva/vagina. And only slightly less offensive than
'cunt'. I seriously find it tough to beleive you regularly see worse.

Further, even 'Pussy' meaning 'coward' is derivative slang of the
offensive usage. First it uses offensive slang to refer to female
genitals, using them as a metaphor for 'girl', and then tyring it all up
with a deragtory stereotype (that girls are cowards).

Its unfortunate that someone may have been banned over an unintential
mistake. (Assuming it was actually honestly unintended.) But it seems
like this would easily make a worst offenders list of words to avoid
using.

The only reason it appears inconsistent/lacks transparency is that
you've failed to attach a common slang definition to the word.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 3:38:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

"Dennis" <spliffeh@hotmail.com> wrote in message

<snip whiney drivel>

First, let me off you some cheese to go with your whine.

second, GOOD FOR BLIZZARD.

1. you clearly went around the filter to get your "statement" across

2. you WERE warned (read the rules/terms)

3. don't try to spoon-feed us these bullshit definitions and story changes
trying to justify your delusion. you used a derogatory term that you knew
was blocked (see point 1).

4. no, i don't play WoW, but I played EQ, UO and a few others and frankly
players like you RUIN THE GAME.

5. YOU WERE WRONG.

so g0 b@ck +0 p|_@yInG uR d00d GaMeZ and cry to someone who cares. pu55y
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 4:37:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

>I believe we (and Blizzard) should be more careful about making rules for
>things you can't do. Especially when we are talking about communication.

The language filter is per se an example of a codified rule. Attempting
to go around it signals that the party in question understood the rule
and likewise broke it deliberately. If their TOS doesn't say "no bypassing
the filter," it probably should, but it doesn't take a genius to figure
it out as it is.

>One thing I'm curious about. When he says, "Leetspeak," does he mean using
>characters & numbers to make up a word like to say pussy you would type
>something like, "|>...$$..."? Was he using that method to say "pussy" in
>order to get around the language barrier between horde/alliance?

"PU$$Y" or some such.

C//
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 4:47:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 4:53:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:34:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

spliffeh@hotmail.com (Dennis) wrote in

<snip mindless rant>

Good, glad to hear they're enforcing their policies.

With luck and your stupidity, you'll get yourself banned
and I won't have to worry about the chance of having to
deal with you in game.

--
Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw

Mairelon, 15th Paladin
Silverhand

My WoW Mods: http://therealorang.com
Yes, FlexBar 1.24 is out :)
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:38:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in

> On 29 Jan 2005 22:14:50 -0800, Dennis wrote:
>
>> PLEASE FORWARD THIS ENTIRE THREAD TO SOMEONE AUTHORIZED TO MAKE
>> DECISIONS. I will be calling on Monday to follow up (despite
the fact
>> that my suspension ends Sunday).
>
> You need to call. Your letter won't be forwarded, and you will
not get
> any satisfactory response via email. Your only option is to
call, if
> you feel strongly about it, and try to get a supervisor. It's
crucial
> that you stay calm, though. If you are emotional, you lose.
Also, your
> focus should not be the reactivation of the account (this makes
you
> look like a hopeless addict in their eyes, and the person you
will
> speak to won't be able to relate), but getting credit for the
three
> days of paid-for but lost service.
>
> M.

This is untrue - ask Twofeathers on Graffe's. He felt his
name was unfairly changed (he's a Tauren shaman) and emailed.

They reviewed it and changed it back for him.

Most inconsistency in enforcement comes from the vagaries of
reporting -- since they depend on players policing this stuff
and reporting it.

--
Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw
Lanys T'vyl (Retired)

Mairelon, 15th Paladin
Silverhand

My WoW Mods: http://therealorang.com
Yes, FlexBar 1.24 is out :)
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:10:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

>the issue here is not their vulgarity policy, but the random ways
>in which they enforce it.

>So, in short, the issue here is inconsistency and a lack of
>transparency.

Easily explained by the simple economic fact of finite resources.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:11:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> wrote:

>I disagree. The use of the word "pussy" to describe a wimp is
>not vulgar or obscene.

Well, as it happens, your definition is irrelevant. Blizzards is the
only definition that pertains.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:11:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

>Well, as it happens, your definition is irrelevant. Blizzards is the
>only definition that pertains.

On contractual matters? No way, Jose.

C//
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:15:09 PM

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>When someone says, "You pussy," at least in the English-speaking subcultures
>I've lived in, they 99% of the time mean, "You wimp" or "You coward". This
>word has been used for so long to mean this when in certain contexts, that I
>believe for many people it has lost any sexual connotation, whether you are
>trying to say it has something to do with the speaker being called a female
>or a reference to the vagina.

A typically uninformed male perspective.

>And I really hope the whole "leetspeak" fad really is a dying fad

On that we agree.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:19:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

>"Dennis" <spliffeh@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Heh, I'd have banned you FOR the Leetspeak :D  Banning Leetspeakers
not only raises the tone of a game it ALSO improves the average IQ of
the players ;)

Seriously, no-one cares about your ban, or for the reason.

Palindrome
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:19:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

"Palindrome" <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

<Snip>

It's a shame that the word "palindrome" isn't one. ? ;o)

Elrikk
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:33:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:11:18 GMT, "El Durango" <El_Durango@yah00.c0m>
wrote:

>I am not defending this guys actions but honestly suppose this happened to
>you, what would you think of it and would you shrug it off or be bitter. I
>personally would be puzzled about something so inane causing me to be banned
>for 3 days.

What would I do? I'd take the consequences for my own actions and not
whine like a 3 year old over it. The rules are there and he broke
them. The punishment he received was the stated punishment. No reason
to be puzzled over them doing exactly what they say they'll do if you
break their rules. If it truly does puzzle you, you really need to
start taking some remedial courses in reality.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:53:48 PM

bizbee wrote:

> I guess I'll have to try this on some customers at work, since it's
> apparently not offensive.
> "I'm sorry, your waiter got ill and went home, he's too much of a
> pussy to finish taking care of you."
> "It's not that spicy, not unless you're a complete pussy."
>
> I'm sure it'll be a big hit.

Indeed. Please post the details of how it goes, and well as your
fight against the ban from the restaurant you'll end up getting. /em
grabs some popcorn.

--
Annie

AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

Mirrored at:
http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 7:40:20 PM

On 29 Jan 2005 22:14:50 -0800, spliffeh@hotmail.com (Dennis) wrote:

<snip>
>As an end note, you have completely turned me off WoW and reconfirmed
>my doubts about Blizzard. I purchased Everquest2 this afternoon
>because of the annoyance and lack of response you have given me, not
>to mention the queues. If you are trying to drive customers away -
>well done.

Please don't come to EQ2. With your obvious stupidity you'll lower the
average IQ of the game by at least 20 points and your lack of balls to
take your punishment, of being such a big pussy, you'll really screw
up the game.

<snip>
--
Wulfbones Gnome Cleric Qeynos Antonia Bayle
Wulfrunner Gnome Predator Qeynos Antonia Bayle

Wulfbones
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:18:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

"Dennis" <spliffeh@hotmail.com> wrote in message

"Pussy" is used more as an anatomical reference than every other usage
combined. You knew how it would be taken when you chose it, regardless of
alternate meaning. You tried to be slick and get away with a double
entendre, and you got stomped for it. Stop whining and trying to sea-lawyer
your way out of it.

> ....I ask again, if I say the word "bush" in game while referring to a
> 'plant' or 'being lame' will I be punished?

While there is a sexual connotation to bush, the common meaning is a
reference to vegitation. What's the common meaning to pussy? If you say
anything but a vagina, then you're not being honest.

> ....And I ask that you forward my emails to a manager or someone in a
> position to think not someone that sends form letters mindlessly.

I will lose all respect for Blizzard if they overturn your ass-kicking.

> As an end note, you have completely turned me off WoW and reconfirmed
> my doubts about Blizzard. I purchased Everquest2 this afternoon
> because of the annoyance and lack of response you have given me, not
> to mention the queues. If you are trying to drive customers away -
> well done.

I beta-tested and played EQ2. While it may be a better game, if you're
going to EQ2 just because you're upset that you were asked to pay the price
for your stupidity... well, then WoW is the better for it.

> I intend to follow this through until you "make good on your words"
> (see quote above).
>
> PLEASE FORWARD THIS ENTIRE THREAD TO SOMEONE AUTHORIZED TO MAKE
> DECISIONS. I will be calling on Monday to follow up (despite the fact
> that my suspension ends Sunday). I would appreciate a real answer not
> a minimum-wage-form-letter-go-away answer.

You don't deserve anything better.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:55:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in message
news:p g1Ld.141195$K7.138990@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> "Dennis" <spliffeh@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> PLEASE FORWARD THIS ENTIRE THREAD TO SOMEONE AUTHORIZED TO MAKE
>> DECISIONS. I will be calling on Monday to follow up (despite the fact
>> that my suspension ends Sunday). I would appreciate a real answer not
>> a minimum-wage-form-letter-go-away answer.
>
> I see a lot of people taking Blizzards side on this, but Id be willing to
> bet hard cash that if they were being banned they would sing a different
> tune.

If I were the type of person who would use vulgarity to name my character,
then sure, I'd probably also be the type to complain about being fairly and
justly given a swift kick in the ass (which, I imagine, according to the OP
refers to a mule, not a person's hindparts)

> Since when is "pussy" inappropriate language?

Since it became widely used to refer to a woman's down belows.

> I see it over and over in the Blizzard forums, when someone gets unfairly
> treated, everyone else likes to jump on the cheer blizzard bandwagon,
> regardless of the rights or wrongs of the particular case.
> If you think Blizzard did the right thing here, then you are a jerk. Just
> my 2c.

And if you believe we're jerks for supporting Blizzard in this case, you're
an absolute idiot. That's not my two cents, that's fact.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 9:30:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:24:32 -0500, "elrikk" <elrikk@videotron.ca>
wrote:

>"Palindrome" <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>

><Snip>
>

>It's a shame that the word "palindrome" isn't one. ? ;o)

my email name is though :) )

Palindrome
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 9:31:08 PM

wrote:

>>anyone older than the age of 8 can tell the difference in, for lack of a
>>word, severity between "pussy" and "bush".
>
>I disagree. The use of the word "pussy" to describe a wimp is
>not vulgar or obscene.

So, you'd use that in mixed company?

Palindrome
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:02:49 PM

"Todd Carnes" <tcarnes@tds.net> wrote in message

> Dark Tyger wrote:
>
> | On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:04:51 +0100, Michael Vondung
> | <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
> |

> |>but getting credit for the three days of paid-for but lost
> |>service.
> |

> | Won't happen. He violated the terms of the service contract he agreed
> | to.
> |

> I don't think think I would say it "won't" happen (whiners,
> unfortunately tend to get their way), but I do agree that it "shouldn't"
> happen.

i havent played WoW, but i assume in the user agreement its also stated that
pre-paid time will not be reimbursed. i assume Blizzard could make a good
case using that too.

lee
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:09:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in message
news:p g1Ld.141195$K7.138990@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> Since when is "pussy" inappropriate language?

i've been using the internet for over 12 years...and this may be the dumbest
statement ive ever seen.

lee
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:09:02 PM

Lee Watkins wrote:
> "Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in message
> news:p g1Ld.141195$K7.138990@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
>> Since when is "pussy" inappropriate language?
>>
> i've been using the internet for over 12 years...and this may be the
> dumbest statement ive ever seen.
>
> lee

You must have been using the internet *very* sparingly over that 12 years
then.

--
chainbreaker
January 30, 2005 10:12:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Fair decision, hope it helps you get a grip.

FU set.

January 30, 2005 10:16:32 PM

"tcells" <tcells1@yahoo.com> wrote:

>grow up and hit the glass ceiling, then you'll have a real idea
>about what has connotations and what doesn't.

Believe me, I'm quite grown up, and I know all about that ceiling. And
I know all about the connotations of the word in question as well.
That you don't understand why the word is objectionable is lamentable,
but entirely your own problem.

You can run around screaming "it just means wimp" all you want, but
you'll find that has no effect on reality. And, you'll also find it
has no effect on Blizzard policy.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:20:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

>> A typically uninformed male perspective.

>The difference between feminists and chauvinists is insignificant

And irrelevant, as is your attempt to recast the discussion in charged
and dismissable terms.

>Thinking of varying perspectives as "male" and "female", rather than
>simply "different", is in itself "sexist". No, actually, it's ridiculously
>immature and plain silly.

Funny thing... I think violating the rules of a game then whining
about getting busted is ridiculously immature and plain silly.

>Perhaps the self-appointed defenders of women need to spend more time
>in the real world and speak to females who stand with both feet on
>the ground.

Then again, perhaps not.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:32:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> wrote:

>>Well, as it happens, your definition is irrelevant. Blizzards
>>is the only definition that pertains.

>On contractual matters? No way, Jose.

You're quite mistaken. You agree to their rules when you enter their
world, and they are fully within their contractual rights to interpret
and enforce those rules as they seem fit.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:32:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

>You're quite mistaken. You agree to their rules when you enter their
>world, and they are fully within their contractual rights to...

What consitute's their contractual rights, as per definitions of items
within a contract that they themselves have not defined, is not for them
to say post hoc. Nope.

I will not, however, go so far as to say that a Court would assert that
calling a person "pussy" is not profane. They just might. Or they might
not.

The other issue is that O.P. seemed well aware of the language filter,
and elected to by-pass it. The language filter per se codifies what
behavior whichever-company prefers not to have. I suspect he should have
paid keen attention to that first cue.

C//
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:53:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Courageous <dontwant@spam.com> wrote:

>What consitute's their contractual rights, as per definitions of items
>within a contract that they themselves have not defined, is not for them
>to say post hoc. Nope.

Is there a bit in the contract/license about "at any time, for any
reason"?

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:59:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

spliffeh@hotmail.com (Dennis) wrote in news:3e397d54.0501292214.3a00a017
@posting.google.com:

>> >You guys gave me a 72 hour suspension without warning for using the
>> >word pussy? And in leet speak no less? Is this a method of conserving
>> >bandwidth???? Handing out ridiculous 3 day suspensions without warning,
>> >for use of a word thats in the dictionary??? This does not improve
>> >anyone's gaming experience, your just being anal (thats in the
>> >dictionary too, am I allowed to use that word?).

On my server it would have been longer than 3 days. What difference does it
make that its in a dictionary since you obviusly didnt use it in other than
a cursing way.

Especially for use of leet speak. After all, what is that other than
recognition that the word might be banned or blocked so its an effort to
get around the rules.

Language controls are a great thing. They have been proven to raise the
average age of the player base

Gandalf Parker
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:07:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:40:06 -0800 in
<l97pv0hggle3tue5pvciog15nn62uhtusj@4ax.com>, Dark Tyger
<darktiger@somewhere.net> graced the world with this thought:

>On 29 Jan 2005 22:14:50 -0800, spliffeh@hotmail.com (Dennis) wrote:
>
>>....There was NO warning and NO reference to human anatomy.
>
>So, you're trying to convince us you were referring to a feline?

He was the same guy who claimed Hooters was a family restaurant and
they were talking about owls.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:07:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft,alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:07:30 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:40:06 -0800 in
><l97pv0hggle3tue5pvciog15nn62uhtusj@4ax.com>, Dark Tyger
><darktiger@somewhere.net> graced the world with this thought:
>
>>On 29 Jan 2005 22:14:50 -0800, spliffeh@hotmail.com (Dennis) wrote:
>>
>>>....There was NO warning and NO reference to human anatomy.
>>
>>So, you're trying to convince us you were referring to a feline?
>
>He was the same guy who claimed Hooters was a family restaurant and
>they were talking about owls.

On a related note, I remember reading years back about a group of
school girls who got so fed up with seeing all the boys wearing
"Hooters" TShirts in school that they went out and had TShirts with
roosters on them and "Cocks" written across the front made up. They
got suspended, and turned around and attempted to sue the school over
it. Don't know how it came out. ( I'm on the girls' side on the
matter, by the way. If they got suspended, the guys should have too )

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html