Gamer keyboard left handed

rambostyrer

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Looking for a good gaming keyboard ( below 70$) for a left handed user, using a standard keyboard currently and re-bind my keys to the numpad on the right, but often run out of keys.

would like something like the Steelseries Merc http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823161039, but with the "pad" modified for a lefthanded gamer.

any suggestions out there??

p.s. don't if this is the right category for this thread.

theres no such thing as a left handed keyboard... there are a few keyboards tht have a detachable numpad that you can swap from 1 side to the other but other than that theres nothing... do what most other lefties do and remap the keys to the keyboard using O instead of w and kl; instead of asd then you can set shift and all the other keys normally surrounding wasd up as you choose.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I used to remap the keypad but found that it can only accept 2 maximum keystrokes at a time. If you remap to [ ; ' # (instead of WASD), you get the full functionality you need. :)

rambostyrer

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
OK, let me put it this way:

IF I were right-handed I would already have bought the Steelseries Merc, as I simply just don't like the way the layout of buttons on a normal keyboard.

I want something purpose built for gaming, designed for left-handed use (or at least were left handed use is not a disadvantage), just like my Razer deathadder left handed mouse.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I'm left handed too. Ive looked around and there's pretty much nothing you can do besides remap keys. Which honestly is a pain because you need to do it for every game and sometimes the keys don't match up right..then your trying to remember what you set it too it's a little frustrating. I mainly just used my Xbox 360!controller for 90% of my games I plan it's easier that way. Most games have controller support and if not you can use xpadder. Shooters will be harder at first but honestly I use a controller for bf3 and usually get in the top 5 of the leader boards so it's not as much as a handicap as you would think for fps.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

rambostyrer

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I have a xbox controller now, and it is great for stuff like sports,racing,fighting and platform games. but I have been brought up on keyboard and mouse, and I am really bad at using it. A controller would never be a substitute for me, besides I'M looking for an option with more buttons than my numpad, not fewer........

rambostyrer

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

well that one is........... interesting.... :eek: :eek: .... :)

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hmm, could try checking with the manufacturer directly. There used to be a ton of them on the market even within the last 6 months. I can't imagine they have all disappeared. Best of luck to you though. Hope you find something suitable.

theshadow2001

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
I've casually been on the look out for a lefty set up for a gaming keypad. The closest I have seen is this

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/5123

But all keypads have a right handed bias. The logitech to me seems to be the best set up for a lefty. Naturally the mousey joysticky dealy on the right would be useless or awkard to use.

Ultimately the reason I never pulled the trigger on one of these is that if you take away the mousey joysticky dealy, you're left with a set of keys that are laid out in a fashion that is very similar to a regular keyboard and doesn't provide any huge advantage. Although I don't have any direct experience so I could be wrong.

My method for remapping a regular keyboard is to create a list of equivalent keys for a lefty so WASD becomes OKL; F is mapped to J, G to H and so on for each key. I then take a print screen of the default keys. Once I have this I begin remapping. I first look at the print screen for a function and its original key i.e. walk forward is W I then refrence my list of equivalent keys: W -> O and then bind the walk forward function with O. Then repeat for each function. The print screen is necessary because as you work through the key bindings other functions can loose their original key or get binded without you realising so you need the refrence of the original set up.
Yes this is a massive pain in the ass, yes it takes ages but you only have to do it once and once it's done you end up with the lefty equivalent of what our right handed counter parts take for granted. Also this method is more systematic than trying to improvise a lefty key binding which can be difficult to get right on a game that you're playing for the first time.

I really wish game developers would put in a lefty keybinding as an option. It would make life so much easier but that will never happen

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Looks like a pretty good solution really. Make sure to come back with a user review of it as I'm sure other people are curious about the product. Personally I would expect it to be pretty decent if steelseries went so far as to design a keyboard entirely around the incorporation of that same layout.

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=484 after saying they dont exist i did a search and found this little beauty... its fully lefty and has cherry mechanical switches... at 80 quid its basic but sturdy...
i just got my mk 85 with cherry reds but the above has black switches. which are identical inn all but the pressure needed to press em down... if your used to dome keyboards then cherry blacks wont bother you as im finding i stamp the cherry reds due to using domes for the last 5+ years. also as it uses ps2 via usb adapter it can have full nkrol which is essential for any kind of games like tekken...
seriously if your a lefty this is as good as it gets.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Great find my friend!

rambostyrer

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Bumping and old thread here, but remembered that I promised a review of the cyber snipa!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826246002

So here goes:

I bought this due to me being left handed, and finding the classic WASD control scheme impractical and uncomfortable, ind this looked like the best option.

to put it short I really like the gamepad, the layout of the buttons is designed for right handed users, witch kind of defeaalflifeh0 numbered hotkeys are really accessible.

I have played a lot of different games, like Half-life 2, Portal, Lotro, Planetside, Skyrim, Assassins creed Brotherhood, Path of Exile ETC with it and it has done a great job giving me much better options for customize my key layout so it fits othey way I feel it is best. (damn you games that doesn't let me rebind keys!!!! :non: :non: ).

The only really negative thing i can say is the the overall "feel" of the buttons isn't that great, the only way I can describe is that the keys feel slow to press, if this as actually true or it just feels that way I don't know, but the buttons to me feel slow and sometimes a bit unresponsive, witch gives it bit of a cheap feel overall.

Again this just the feeling i get when using it, and is not based on some sort of facts or test of the pad, but it is a shame, and probably will make some people dislike it.

So overall I think the Cyber Snipa is great, but would like to have seen a dedicated left hand edition, as i'm sure i'm not the only leftie who would like a keypad or board for lefthanded use.

Th3Hand

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Mate i'm a lefty, razer do a sweet left handed mouse and i use the numpad num8 forward, num 5, num 4 and 6 is left and right, i have the arrows on my thumb and the the enter and num plus for reload and stuff. you have num 7 and 9 close to hand along with num slash. In most games its a real nice set up. To be honest the numpad set up looks and feels much nicer than offset keys of wasd. The only game that has been terrible for this set up and i blame the game designers for limiting key mapping was Skyrim.

Th3Hand

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

I bought that and it's a terrible bit of kit, the buttons actually have pressure click to them just awful. I tried it once and it ended up in the bin..

Th3Hand

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

before any lefty's go to buy this, look at the thumb lay out, its useless to us, we need those extra keys on the otherside. Looks good but still its a righty's pad. I'd love a thumbstick like these new game pads are bringing out. Our best bet is to get a load of lefty's to beg razer as they do seem to at least think about us.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-Deathadder-Handed-3500DPI-Gaming/dp/B003EUPCZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357236542&sr=8-1

I'm a lefty, but I play with a standard keyboard and I use the mouse in my right hand. I suppose since I have been using a computer as a "righty" I feel more comfortable using the mouse in my right hand than in my left hand. In fact, my current mice (Performance MX and G500) are contoured for the right hand.

Th3Hand

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Lol i've heard of a few lefty's that do that, seems really awkward to me, i use to play with my left but the mouse buttons set up for a righty. I decided to change, it was horrible at first but worth it in the end. I look at the numpad set up for gaming and i'm glad i'm a lefty. And with the Razer lefty mouse i don't even have change the mouse buttons over as the mouse does it for me.