My house is clean - disk still "full."

Running out of disk space while using Photoshop has begun to really hurt my
business. The disk is 60% free, and I run lean on Startup and Services. I
have a gig of ram, 3.2 processor, Radeon 9800 Pro video card. Photoshop has 2
scratch disks.

Here's a list of things I've tried:
Mcafee w/ current profiles
Ad-aware SE w/current profiles
Spybot w/current profiles
Disk Cleaner
Disk Check - nothing amiss
Process Explorer indicates minimal usage of ram with Photoshop running.

My files average 80-90 megs. After working a short while, the cursor
disappears and things all but freeze up - I get a message that the disk is
full. I have to reboot. I attempted to read up on cluster size issues, but my
eyes glaze over.

Disk check is running chronically as well. It is not a scheduled task. When
checking the MS article that indicates this path to stop
it...HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\BootExecute...I have no "BootExecute" listed. I'm not proficient
enough to use Recovery Console. Can someone please rescue me?

Holly

Go to the web site of your hard disc manufacturer and obtain their hard disc
diagnostics. Windows' own Disk Error Checking is fine as far as it goes,
however the manufacturer's diagnostics are more thorough and will tell you
if you have a problem with your hard disc.

Note: The manufacturer's 'extended' diagnostic tests can take many hours to
complete, so best to go to bed early and run them overnight

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"proserose" <proserose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running out of disk space while using Photoshop has begun to really hurt
my
> business. The disk is 60% free, and I run lean on Startup and Services. I
> have a gig of ram, 3.2 processor, Radeon 9800 Pro video card. Photoshop
has 2
> scratch disks.
>
> Here's a list of things I've tried:
> Mcafee w/ current profiles
> Ad-aware SE w/current profiles
> Spybot w/current profiles
> Disk Cleaner
> Disk Check - nothing amiss
> Process Explorer indicates minimal usage of ram with Photoshop running.
>
> My files average 80-90 megs. After working a short while, the cursor
> disappears and things all but freeze up - I get a message that the disk is
> full. I have to reboot. I attempted to read up on cluster size issues, but
my
> eyes glaze over.
>
> Disk check is running chronically as well. It is not a scheduled task.
When
> checking the MS article that indicates this path to stop
> it...HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
> Manager\BootExecute...I have no "BootExecute" listed. I'm not proficient
> enough to use Recovery Console. Can someone please rescue me?
>
> Holly

Thanks Ted.
Dumb question: How does one determine the manufacturor of the hard disk? No
utility I run says anything other than "Standard disk." It's a Dell Pentium
IV.

Thanks

Holly

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Go to the web site of your hard disc manufacturer and obtain their hard disc
> diagnostics. Windows' own Disk Error Checking is fine as far as it goes,
> however the manufacturer's diagnostics are more thorough and will tell you
> if you have a problem with your hard disc.
>
> Note: The manufacturer's 'extended' diagnostic tests can take many hours to
> complete, so best to go to bed early and run them overnight
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "proserose" <proserose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Running out of disk space while using Photoshop has begun to really hurt
> my
> > business. The disk is 60% free, and I run lean on Startup and Services. I
> > have a gig of ram, 3.2 processor, Radeon 9800 Pro video card. Photoshop
> has 2
> > scratch disks.
> >
> > Here's a list of things I've tried:
> > Mcafee w/ current profiles
> > Ad-aware SE w/current profiles
> > Spybot w/current profiles
> > Disk Cleaner
> > Disk Check - nothing amiss
> > Process Explorer indicates minimal usage of ram with Photoshop running.
> >
> > My files average 80-90 megs. After working a short while, the cursor
> > disappears and things all but freeze up - I get a message that the disk is
> > full. I have to reboot. I attempted to read up on cluster size issues, but
> my
> > eyes glaze over.
> >
> > Disk check is running chronically as well. It is not a scheduled task.
> When
> > checking the MS article that indicates this path to stop
> > it...HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
> > Manager\BootExecute...I have no "BootExecute" listed. I'm not proficient
> > enough to use Recovery Console. Can someone please rescue me?
> >
> > Holly

Why is that a dumb question?

There are many ways you can determine who made your hard disc. Here are a
few:
1. Check the invoice for your computer, or call Dell.
2. Go to Device Manager. (Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware tab >
Device Manager)
3. Go to System Information. (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System
Tools > System Information)
4. Check hard disc properties. (Start > My Computer > right-click on the
icon for your hard disk and choose Properties > Hardware tab)