Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[EQ Live] Why do we play the way we do?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:23:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

IMHO Sony/Verant on line has given us the world and the tools to make EQ
Live a great game. Why do we always attack them instead of looking at how we
play and perceive the game? I have to imagine that the original developers
of the game did not mean for it to turn out as it has. But who is at fault?



We post:



Complaints about class balancing (though some are good points)

Complaints about Immersion (though some are good points)

Sony killed EQ Live

EQ Live is dead

EQ Live has lost its player base.

Etc. Etc.



A quote from the immersion post "The developers will never fathom the
"charm" or "immersion" element." IMO neither have we.



Quote from same post "EQ1 in its infancy was more about role-play and
IMMERSION"



IMO "IMMERSION" is what you make it.



I do not play EQ2 but from reading various posts about it one of the best
things they have done is separate the "Good" from the "Evil" and enforced
that separation. If Evil wishes to cross over he/she can with a quest.



In EQ Live we have the tools to do this, but we are unable, or too much in a
hurry to do so.



Why is it that everyone complains yet no one role-plays, as they should?

Why would a Wood Elf be hunting in the land of the Dark Elves and/or vice
versa?

Why Would a Good High elf cleric heal or buff an Evil Necro?

Why do I always see the Good races/classes grouped with the Evil
races/classes?



We the players have turned EQ Live into what it is today. The game is open
to evolve how we decide.



EQ Live #1 biggest strength over all others is it's ability to be molded as
we se fit. You are not spoon feed (as some would put it). We have "Choice".



But



We choose XP and Plat racing.

We choose to speak Common instead of Elven or Barbarian etc.

We choose to let a Wood Elf hunt in Paineel. Or a Necro to hunt near
Surefall Glade. Killing bears and the like.

We choose to not role-play.

We choose to allow Good to group with Evil and Evil to group with Good.

We choose to level up as fast as possible instead of mastering all your 1hs,
hand to hand, 1hb etc. skills.



In short we choose to be lazy.




IMO Role-playing is what is lacking. If everyone bought in then the game
would indeed come back to life.



For example a Wood Elf in a hostile land.



If seen/found he would be announced to everyone in the zone, then the other
players would/should badger him back out (in a role-playing fashion not
harassing) I.E.



Player Good: Level 20 Wood Elf Ranger looking for a group.

Player Evil #1: Be gone vial creature your kind are not welcome here!

Player Evil #2: If you do not leave our land's you will be looking for your
corpse!!

Player Evil #3: Anyone for wood elf stew?

Player Evil #4 & 5: Challenge you to a duel?



Hence receives a mass of shouts to the point where he get's the idea he
should not be there. Any evil race or class would of course never group with
him.



Everyone has something to say about class balancing, but would they be
balanced if we role-played? If we play the game the way it was meant to be
played?



Good group with Good

Evil group with Evil



Scenario #2



Evil group see's good group camping, they approach and the groups are about
even. Mass duel issues etc...



The world is ours to build we have everything to do so. XP and Plat is one
small part of the game yet it has become the biggest.



If we are following the story line.



We should be rising up, the good forces against the evil; this is the kind
of stuff that should be being done.



Prepare for battle or the world of Norath shall be lost to the forces of
evil. Get some Mass Guild Raids over to where they are gathering. Get into
the role-playing of the game. That is what the story lines are for. I see
all this as a Very Big turning point in the world of Norath. Huge changes
will come.



Why are evil races grouped so often with the good? Why is it that everyone
complains about the immersion yet no one role-plays as they should? POK and
some other zones should be neutral zones, but a Wood Elf hunting in the land
of the Dark Elves?



IMO The game was designed to be a Evil vrs Good role-playing (I say this
based on the NPC KOS Factor in cities). But we have choosen it to be
Everyone against NPC's



Somthings that could be asked of Sony



Make a couple of zones PVP.

Balance the good and evil.

Work on the role-playing asspects of the game



We own the game not Sony. The world is our oyster.



Remember before flaming that this is only my opinion and how I perceive
things...Therefore I could be wrong



See you in POK, I am of to Oasis ;) 



Jason

More about : live play

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:23:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <41fcdf6a$0$2175$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>,
Jason Hawryluk <jh@3gcomm.fr> wrote:
>
>Why Would a Good High elf cleric heal or buff an Evil Necro?


Why, because we're GOOD little clerics... :-)

>
>In short we choose to be lazy.
>

"What you mean 'we', white man?"
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:25:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

<snip>

Sorry for the spacing I wrote this in MS Word and pasted :( 

Looked fine until posted.

Jason
Related resources
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 7:58:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

<snip>

Intrigued by your intellectual response as I am, it has absolutely nothing
to do with the question. And contains no constructive input what so ever.

Jason
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:50:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <41fd03a7$0$19419$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>,
>Intrigued by your intellectual response as I am, it has absolutely nothing
>to do with the question. And contains no constructive input what so ever.

I beg to differ. Allow me to restore the context which you
so amateurishly deleted and I will explain both your current and original
mistakes in terms even your mind is likely capable of grasping, at least
to some extent.

>>Why Would a Good High elf cleric heal or buff an Evil Necro?
>Why, because we're GOOD little clerics... :-)

A Good cleric would heal an Evil cleric *precisely* because he is
a Good cleric. Altruism is a characteristic trait of Good characters,
as is charity towards the enemy. A classic illustration is Frodo's
behavior towrads Gollum. (You *do* understand *that* reference I hope?)

>>In short we choose to be lazy.
>"What you mean 'we', white man?"

"What you mean 'we', white man?" is of course the punchline
to an ancient joke. The point is, of course, that there is no "we".
There is only *you* and the rest of the world. In your approximation of a
worldview my poor cleric must not only refrain from buffing the wrong
players, but also speak in thee's and thou's as well as endure lengthy
simulated boat rides while properly despising those parts of his virtual
world that don't meet "our" standards. If not, he is "lazy".

I'll respond in a way I'm sure even you can understand:

Bullshit.

K, thx, bye.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 3:10:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"the wharf rat" <wrat@panix.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:ctjdq1$l3$1@reader1.panix.com...
> In article <41fd03a7$0$19419$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>,
> >Intrigued by your intellectual response as I am, it has absolutely
nothing
> >to do with the question. And contains no constructive input what so ever.
>
> I beg to differ. Allow me to restore the context which you
> so amateurishly deleted and I will explain both your current and original
> mistakes in terms even your mind is likely capable of grasping, at least
> to some extent.
>
> >>Why Would a Good High elf cleric heal or buff an Evil Necro?
> >Why, because we're GOOD little clerics... :-)
>
> A Good cleric would heal an Evil cleric *precisely* because he is
> a Good cleric. Altruism is a characteristic trait of Good characters,
> as is charity towards the enemy. A classic illustration is Frodo's
> behavior towrads Gollum. (You *do* understand *that* reference I hope?)
>
> >>In short we choose to be lazy.
> >"What you mean 'we', white man?"
>
> "What you mean 'we', white man?" is of course the punchline
> to an ancient joke. The point is, of course, that there is no "we".
> There is only *you* and the rest of the world. In your approximation of a
> worldview my poor cleric must not only refrain from buffing the wrong
> players, but also speak in thee's and thou's as well as endure lengthy
> simulated boat rides while properly despising those parts of his virtual
> world that don't meet "our" standards. If not, he is "lazy".
>
> I'll respond in a way I'm sure even you can understand:
>
> Bullshit.
>
> K, thx, bye.
>

Hold a sec let me get my shovle

Ok, you are really anal. Do you expect anyone in this world (not yours) this
one, would get all that from. And i Quote

> >Why, because we're GOOD little clerics... :-)
> >"What you mean 'we', white man?"

Ahh, ok you really need to get out more...

I made no refference to boat rides, nor thee's and thou's. I have no
approximation of a world view. Re read the original contex befor putting
your foot in your mouth. And both of your responses prove my point.

> simulated boat rides while properly despising those parts of his virtual
> world that don't meet "our" standards. If not, he is "lazy".

Who is "our", I think you mean "my" as you have none, I would not include
anyone but yourself. I was just trying to start a disscussion that I felt
was interesting and that you felt the need to ridicule. It is exactly
because of people with your attitude that make the game how it is and then
cry and bitch because it does not meet "your" standards, thefore making the
game boring for the rest that do not complain...

> K, thx, bye.
What are you 10 ?

Wow...

See you soon ;) 
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:52:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Jason Hawryluk" <jh@3gcomm.fr> wrote in message
news:41fcdf6a$0$2175$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...


> Why is it that everyone complains yet no one role-plays, as they should?
>

Because people don't wish to roleplay. And unless they are on a roleplaying
server, they should not have to. 'As they should' is from a rather narrow
point of view, as people play in the mode that gives them the most
enjoyment. Though it is called a role playing game, there is no
requirement to play a role.

> Why would a Wood Elf be hunting in the land of the Dark Elves and/or vice
> versa?
>

Because the person playing the Wood Elf is there to have fun.

> Why Would a Good High elf cleric heal or buff an Evil Necro?
>

Again, because people are there to have fun. For some, this means playing
the role. For other's, it means social interaction. For those who role
play, they would do it, as the rat said, because it is in the nature of the
good cleric to be altruistic. For those who do not role play, they do it
because of common courtesy in recognizing that there is another person on
the other side of theat Evil Necro character who is there to have fun, too.

> Why do I always see the Good races/classes grouped with the Evil
> races/classes?
>
>

Again, because it is a game where people have come to enjoy themselves. If
they have a common goal, they will group to accomplish that goal.

>
> We the players have turned EQ Live into what it is today. The game is open
> to evolve how we decide.
>
>

Agreed. But your points really only hold true validity on a roleplay
'required' server. Of which there are none. There are servers in EQ Live
with roleplay rules, but no requirements. There are servers in EQ2 with
roleplay preferred, but again, no requirements.

>
> EQ Live #1 biggest strength over all others is it's ability to be molded
> as
> we se fit. You are not spoon feed (as some would put it). We have
> "Choice".
>
>
>
> But
>
>
>
> We choose XP and Plat racing.

Again, for some people this is how they obtain the most enjoyment. Not for
me, of course. I prefer to explore.

>
> We choose to speak Common instead of Elven or Barbarian etc.

Ease of communication. Everyone knows common and if the Elf wishes to
interract with the Barbarian, either the elf must learn Halasian, or they
both may speak common. Again, your point really only holds merit where
roleplay is required.

The counter to most of what you have written can be summed up pretty much as
follows. The fact is, many people enjoy role playing games, but find 'role
playing' itself to be quite tiresome and a burden. People are there to
enjoy themselves, and therefore take the route that they feel will give them
the most enjoyment. As to raising complaints about some point in the game
that they feel detracts from that enjoyment, that is human nature. If
someone otherwise enjoys the game, but finds fault on a point here or there,
they are going to raise complaints about those points. Again, human nature.
You see it in politics. You see it in business dealings. You even see it
shopping at the mall. There really is no difference here. It's simply
someone lobbying for their point of view and preference.

>
>
> In short we choose to be lazy.
>
>

No. We choose to enjoy our time online to the best of our ability. As
stated above, many find the roleplaying mechanics that you are stating
everyone should use to be a detriment to said enjoyment. Some find it a
requirement for their enjoyment. Both groups will simply have to agree to
disagree on that point because you're never going to convince everyone to
see eye to eye here.

>
>
> IMO Role-playing is what is lacking. If everyone bought in then the game
> would indeed come back to life.
>

If you're not already doing so, play on one of the roleplaying servers. But
again, recognize that none of these servers require roleplaying and there
are many on these servers who do not wish to do so. There really is little
point in stating such an "if", however. It's never going to happen. Plain
as that.

>
>
> For example a Wood Elf in a hostile land.
>
>
>
> If seen/found he would be announced to everyone in the zone, then the
> other
> players would/should badger him back out (in a role-playing fashion not
> harassing) I.E.
>
>
>
> Player Good: Level 20 Wood Elf Ranger looking for a group.
>
> Player Evil #1: Be gone vial creature your kind are not welcome here!
>
> Player Evil #2: If you do not leave our land's you will be looking for
> your
> corpse!!
>
> Player Evil #3: Anyone for wood elf stew?
>
> Player Evil #4 & 5: Challenge you to a duel?
>
>

This is an example that many would consider griefing. If everyone involved
were there to roleplay, then no harm done. But again, as I have said
before, you will never have everyone in the game who is there to roleplay.
In fact, something very similar to this happened in EQ2 about a month or two
ago. It's been a while since I read the post on the forums, but it was
something along these lines:

One of the 'good' races was hunting in the Commonlands, whether just there
to hunt or on the road to betrayal I don't quite recall, and requested a
group on the OOC channel. Several people made similar comments as above,
the player was able to recognize the fun in which they were intended and
shrugged the comments off, but some would not have been as forgiving and
would have instantly issued a /report on all involved. Keep in mind that
many people have very thin skins.

But continuing from this example, said player finally managed to get a group
together with one or more of the 'evil' races. The group got into a tough
area where a shard retrieval solo was more or less out of the question,
'good' player got killed. As player resurrects at the closest camp, sees a
comment on group channel about that's what you get for hunting where you
don't belong, and group disbands. Player is stuck in hostile territory, and
very upset. His or her fun was ruined.

On the part of the 'evil' character, they may indeed have simply been
roleplaying in the mode that you requested above. In the victim's eyes, and
SOE's, that equated to griefing.

There can sometimes be a very fine line between having fun with roleplay in
such ways, and taking it too far. And, unfortunately, you don't always know
which is which for the other person involved. For all we know, the 'evil'
player above may have even thought the 'good' player would enjoy the joke
since they'd shrugged off the /ooc chat taunts. Such was not the case.

>
> Hence receives a mass of shouts to the point where he get's the idea he
> should not be there. Any evil race or class would of course never group
> with
> him.
>
>
>
> Everyone has something to say about class balancing, but would they be
> balanced if we role-played? If we play the game the way it was meant to be
> played?
>

Some would argue that if there was any single way the game was 'meant' to be
played, there would not be constant balancing and rebalancing by the
developers.

>
>
> Good group with Good
>
> Evil group with Evil
>
>
>
> Scenario #2
>
>
>
> Evil group see's good group camping, they approach and the groups are
> about
> even. Mass duel issues etc...
>
>

Worthy idea. And some do just this in EQ Live. Not possible in EQ2 of
course, as there is no PvP or dueling. But there are indeed those who
roleplay as such. But, once again, you're never going to get everyone to
agree to such a play style.

>
> We own the game not Sony. The world is our oyster.
>
>

Um. Wrong. Sony owns the games through and through. Remember the phrase
"You're in our world now"? You pay to play it. They allow you to play it.
But at the end of the day, it's their product. Their game. Their rules.


>
> Remember before flaming that this is only my opinion and how I perceive
> things...Therefore I could be wrong
>

No flaming intended. Just counterpoints from another view on the issue.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 11:08:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:52:07 GMT, "toolstech" <spam_someone@else.com> wrote:

>One of the 'good' races was hunting in the Commonlands, whether just there
>to hunt or on the road to betrayal I don't quite recall, and requested a
>group on the OOC channel. Several people made similar comments as above,
>the player was able to recognize the fun in which they were intended and
>shrugged the comments off, but some would not have been as forgiving and
>would have instantly issued a /report on all involved. Keep in mind that
>many people have very thin skins.

>But continuing from this example, said player finally managed to get a group
>together with one or more of the 'evil' races. The group got into a tough
>area where a shard retrieval solo was more or less out of the question,
>'good' player got killed. As player resurrects at the closest camp, sees a
>comment on group channel about that's what you get for hunting where you
>don't belong, and group disbands. Player is stuck in hostile territory, and
>very upset. His or her fun was ruined.

>On the part of the 'evil' character, they may indeed have simply been
>roleplaying in the mode that you requested above. In the victim's eyes, and
>SOE's, that equated to griefing.

I'm curious about the SOE part of that statement...in fact, I call bullshit.

Let me get this straight: a good-race character was trying to start a group in /ooc, and
was taunted by some evil-race characters. Later, the good-race character managed to get a
group with one or more of the evil-race characters, whom may have been the same ones which
were previously taunting him. When the good-race character died in action, he was rezzed
and disbanded.

The good-race character should be grateful that he 1> earned some group XP for a little
while, and 2> got a resurrection when he died.

I think the appropriate GM response would be, "So....you grouped with some players who
were publicly taunting your character's race, just minutes before?", followed by,
"So...you got a rezz from one of your party?", and closing with, "Do you have a map to
help you find your way to safety?"

Best regards,

Tim ==
(substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
_________________

Seeq Endestroi
Paladin of Mithanial Marr, The Rathe
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=507035

Grave Wisdom / Grave Intentions - a Rathe Guild
http://www.gravewisdom.com
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:44:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Seeq Endestroi" <seeq@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:7fdsv0lui9mn9420gfo8dgprps8c379bse@4ax.com...
>
> I'm curious about the SOE part of that statement...in fact, I call
> bullshit.
>
> Let me get this straight: a good-race character was trying to start a
> group in /ooc, and
> was taunted by some evil-race characters. Later, the good-race character
> managed to get a
> group with one or more of the evil-race characters, whom may have been the
> same ones which
> were previously taunting him. When the good-race character died in
> action, he was rezzed
> and disbanded.
>
> The good-race character should be grateful that he 1> earned some group XP
> for a little
> while, and 2> got a resurrection when he died.
>
> I think the appropriate GM response would be, "So....you grouped with some
> players who
> were publicly taunting your character's race, just minutes before?",
> followed by,
> "So...you got a rezz from one of your party?", and closing with, "Do you
> have a map to
> help you find your way to safety?"
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tim ==
> (substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')

No, that's not quite what I meant. I had pieced together the story from
several posts in the thread when I first read it and it turns out I had some
of the sequence of events completely backward (hey, I had read it in
December - I'm surprised I even remembered it at all). I did, however,
manage to find the thread that I was referring to. If you're at all
interested in the clarification, including the short one-liner SOE response,
head here.
http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?bo...

The main point I was going after, though, is that if you read through that
thread you will see that some consider that to be justified roleplaying.
Others consider it to be griefing. No idea what, if any, action SOE took as
by policy they won't state any such actions. But the mod response was that
such action should be reported.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 3:02:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

James Hicks <nospam@forme.plz> wrote:
> "Jason Hawryluk" <jh@3gcomm.fr> wrote in message
>> I do not play EQ2 but from reading various posts about it one of the best
>> things they have done is separate the "Good" from the "Evil" and enforced
>> that separation. If Evil wishes to cross over he/she can with a quest.

> From reading various posts one of the worst things they have done is
> rampant hand-holding, including alignment enforcement circa late 1970's
> roleplaying philosophy.

> If I may put an alternative to this viewpoint to you; perhaps many of us
> entertain a less black&white/evil&good view on fantasy.

I can't stand this absurdly simple concept of only good or evil. If
indeed it would be that simple than I'm sure there would be scores of
good rp games out. But the fact is it isn't that simple. And I do like
it this way.

For example...born as a dark elf but are contempt for weaker beings?
Well, bad luck for you. You can't step down because you're supposed to
be evil. You must slay them. Yeah, thanks...

>> We choose to let a Wood Elf hunt in Paineel. Or a Necro to hunt near
>> Surefall Glade. Killing bears and the like.

> We actually can't *stop* any of these things through legal means. No
> matter how hard I roleplay, I am as insubstantial as a hologram to a good
> character hunting in evil territory. I can't even hurt him without his
> consent.

Happened just yesterday on my iksar necromancer. I was in Cabilis
minding my own business when a group of "good" adventurers entered it
invisible. I just thought about what to do. I can't attack them, can't
yell for guards or anything. So in the end I just hailed them and warned
them not to let themselfes be caught by my people. Roleplay? Hardly. :/ 
Oh in case you wondered what they were doing in Cabilis...probably
hunting the enchanter epic mob.

>> Balance the good and evil.

The point is there is no such thing as good *or* evil!


Hagen
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 6:27:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"James Hicks" <nospam@forme.plz> wrote in
news:X6LLd.144131$K7.56212@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

> "tankdoc" <tankdoc@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> news:h86dnSrWWJ4qgGLcRVn-sA@adelphia.com...
>
>> From what Ive seen of the edges of the end game - or I should say the
>> edges of high end game - know your class, play it well and you will
>> be welcomed anywhere.
>>
>> This is from the perspective of a Druid - a human Druid at that. I
>> know my role and play it well and dont have a problem at high levels.
>
> Thanks for those words of wisdom, and may I express my gratitude
> along
> with my sincerest congratulations that you have played such a
> difficult race/class combination as {$soloable_caster_x} to such a
> high level as {$level}.
>

Damnit, you dripped sarcasm all over my desk.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 22 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 14 Craftsman
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 6:32:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:Xns95F0560927D62richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4...
> "James Hicks" <nospam@forme.plz> wrote in
> news:X6LLd.144131$K7.56212@news-server.bigpond.net.au:
>
> > "tankdoc" <tankdoc@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > news:h86dnSrWWJ4qgGLcRVn-sA@adelphia.com...
> >
> >> From what Ive seen of the edges of the end game - or I should say the
> >> edges of high end game - know your class, play it well and you will
> >> be welcomed anywhere.
> >>
> >> This is from the perspective of a Druid - a human Druid at that. I
> >> know my role and play it well and dont have a problem at high levels.
> >
> > Thanks for those words of wisdom, and may I express my gratitude
> > along
> > with my sincerest congratulations that you have played such a
> > difficult race/class combination as {$soloable_caster_x} to such a
> > high level as {$level}.
> >
>
> Damnit, you dripped sarcasm all over my desk.

Sorry :(  had a sarcasmgasm.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 10:27:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"James Hicks" <nospam@forme.plz> wrote in news:yiNLd.144216$K7.102495@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> news:Xns95F0560927D62richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4...
>> "James Hicks" <nospam@forme.plz> wrote in
>> news:X6LLd.144131$K7.56212@news-server.bigpond.net.au:
>>
>> > "tankdoc" <tankdoc@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> > news:h86dnSrWWJ4qgGLcRVn-sA@adelphia.com...
>> >
>> >> From what Ive seen of the edges of the end game - or I should say the
>> >> edges of high end game - know your class, play it well and you will
>> >> be welcomed anywhere.
>> >>
>> >> This is from the perspective of a Druid - a human Druid at that. I
>> >> know my role and play it well and dont have a problem at high levels.
>> >
>> > Thanks for those words of wisdom, and may I express my gratitude
>> > along
>> > with my sincerest congratulations that you have played such a
>> > difficult race/class combination as {$soloable_caster_x} to such a
>> > high level as {$level}.
>> >
>>
>> Damnit, you dripped sarcasm all over my desk.
>
> Sorry :(  had a sarcasmgasm.

Damn it! Now you made me spit soda all over mine.

--
Rumble
"Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:49:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de> writes:
> >> We choose to let a Wood Elf hunt in Paineel. Or a Necro to hunt near
> >> Surefall Glade. Killing bears and the like.
>
> > We actually can't *stop* any of these things through legal means. No
> > matter how hard I roleplay, I am as insubstantial as a hologram to a good
> > character hunting in evil territory. I can't even hurt him without his
> > consent.
>
> Happened just yesterday on my iksar necromancer. I was in Cabilis
> minding my own business when a group of "good" adventurers entered it
> invisible. I just thought about what to do. I can't attack them, can't
> yell for guards or anything. So in the end I just hailed them and warned
> them not to let themselfes be caught by my people. Roleplay? Hardly. :/ 
> Oh in case you wondered what they were doing in Cabilis...probably
> hunting the enchanter epic mob.

I actually agree both (a) that good/evil are not absolute and shouldn't
be enforced by the game (though I do enjoy the challenge of dealing with
it to the extent the game DOES enforce it, in the Old World at least,
through factions), and (b) that in on-line role-playing, just as in
face-to-face RP, it's important to remember that there's a real person
behind the character, and that person is presumably NOT "evil" even if
the character is.

Nevertheless, I also agree that the game is generally more fun if people
make just a little bit of effort to put things in terms of the game world.
So in your situation, you might have tried:

/shout Guards! Guards! Some invisible ne'er-do-evils are infiltrating
the city! Oh why don't you ever listen to me? Well, those do-gooders
had better be careful not to let themselves get caught!

I'll bet the other group would've had a good chuckle out of that. :-)

-- Don.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- See the a.g.e/EQ1 FAQ at http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
--
-- Sukrasisx, Monk 51 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 44 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Wizbeau, Wizard 35 on E. Marr remove the "hyphen n s"
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don
!