Slower Performance when overclocked?

G

Has anybody seen this? I have a Celeron 533A overclocked to 800MHz on an Abit BX6. I also have a Celeron 566 overclocked to 850MHz on an Abit VH6. Both systems seem to slow down for a while and then continue, randomly. This is especially true during non-CPU intensive applications. The problem does not occur at default settings though. Has anybody else noticed a slow down on overclocked Celerons?

*Groovy*

G

I don't have a Celeron but a Duron 700. When I o/c to 900 Mhz my 3d Prophet performance jumped tremendously but then when I pushed it up to 950Mhz it actually got worse. So I'm not sure what either of us have done but it seems that o/cing doesn't always give better performance.

G

Hi
I also have an 'aceleron' 566@877, and it runs in a BH6 mobo without a problem so far. I don't experience such slowing down fenomena. That could be related to something else, software, mobo, peripherics, memory, whatever.
If it doesn't freeze or give errors it may not a be CPU related problem. This may help you figure out:
When pushing my system to 877 I saw that hardware can apparently work fine when it doesn't. It would boot fine into windows and work fine with everything I threw at it. But in Q3, every once in a while it would kick me out. Then I used prime95 which with its 'torture test' would give me errors that showed me that something didn't work like it should. Don't know for sure where the errors came from, but I've had no memory problems, and since this program just calculates mersene prime numbers I thought the CPU was just out of breath.
Since I see you're an experienced OCer you may know it already, but just in case:
http://www.hardocp.com/coolstuff.html

Saludos a todos

G

I had the same problem when I overclocked my PIII 700e to 933. I turned off error correction on the L2 cache and everything sped up dramatically.
Hope this helps,

Merf1

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
this is a common occurance on overclocked processors.
if you run a stability test, something truly intensive, you'll probably find the processor is far less stable than you think.
occasionally, it does otherwise, its stable, yet slow. for this, I dunno. clock it back down until it performs normally.

many times this is caused from cache read misses you may need to slow down your cache by increacing the latency
www.h-oda.com
the program you want to try is wcpul2 i belive that is right ther are programs there for athlons too so make sure it is the right one