Total System Hang

Paul

Splendid

My PC has just recently started having problems. It just hangs, and the only
thing I can do is a power cycle. The keyboard goes dead, mouse dead, and no
system response. I have no installed any new software, but have added any
recent system patches (automatic). My AV is up-to-date, as well as my
firewall. I don't think I've any virus or anything unusual going on.

I've checked all I can. There are no entries in the Event Viewer (the system
just totally hangs). I've seen no unusual error messages in there recently.

I've added no new hardware either.

I'm just totally confused. If anyone can guide me as to how I can - a)
collect more data as to what the system is doing when it hangs or b) control
what's happening or c) by miracle recommend a fix to an unknown problem.

The hangs are totally at random. It can happen on boot, just as the startup
apps are starting, after 5 min of system running, or after 5 hours of system
running. No specific task seems to cause it.

Thanks folks.

How old is the computer? Have you ever replaced the CMOS battery? How about
dust in the cooling fans and inside the case, see any dust bunny's?
Overheating can cause prob's ,a slowly dying PSU can too...Updated any
drivers lately? If not you may actually need too, like, for the
video/graphics card, BIOS, software, etc..
A good driver a year ago can get old and nasty and cause prob's as well,
especially with service pack updates rolling out every few weeks or months...
j;-j

"Paul" wrote:

> My PC has just recently started having problems. It just hangs, and the only
> thing I can do is a power cycle. The keyboard goes dead, mouse dead, and no
> system response. I have no installed any new software, but have added any
> recent system patches (automatic). My AV is up-to-date, as well as my
> firewall. I don't think I've any virus or anything unusual going on.
>
> I've checked all I can. There are no entries in the Event Viewer (the system
> just totally hangs). I've seen no unusual error messages in there recently.
>
> I've added no new hardware either.
>
> I'm just totally confused. If anyone can guide me as to how I can - a)
> collect more data as to what the system is doing when it hangs or b) control
> what's happening or c) by miracle recommend a fix to an unknown problem.
>
> The hangs are totally at random. It can happen on boot, just as the startup
> apps are starting, after 5 min of system running, or after 5 hours of system
> running. No specific task seems to cause it.
>
> Thanks folks.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Download memtest86 and run a memory test (overnight if possible). When
systems start acting up, this is the first thing to check.

Paul wrote:

> My PC has just recently started having problems. It just hangs, and the only
> thing I can do is a power cycle. The keyboard goes dead, mouse dead, and no
> system response. I have no installed any new software, but have added any
> recent system patches (automatic). My AV is up-to-date, as well as my
> firewall. I don't think I've any virus or anything unusual going on.
>
> I've checked all I can. There are no entries in the Event Viewer (the system
> just totally hangs). I've seen no unusual error messages in there recently.
>
> I've added no new hardware either.
>
> I'm just totally confused. If anyone can guide me as to how I can - a)
> collect more data as to what the system is doing when it hangs or b) control
> what's happening or c) by miracle recommend a fix to an unknown problem.
>
> The hangs are totally at random. It can happen on boot, just as the startup
> apps are starting, after 5 min of system running, or after 5 hours of system
> running. No specific task seems to cause it.
>
> Thanks folks.

what is the problem give me solutions.

This is sreekanth

Thank u