Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Ok I know if you go from Win9X to XP Pro it's best to format and do a clean
install but is there any advantage to do this when you go from XP Home to XP
Pro? I did my yearly clean install of XP Home a couple of months ago so not
much junk is there.
Thanks for any insight to this.

Randy

Actually this is one upgrade that should go very smoothly.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Randy" wrote:
| Ok I know if you go from Win9X to XP Pro it's best to format and do a
clean
| install but is there any advantage to do this when you go from XP Home to
XP
| Pro? I did my yearly clean install of XP Home a couple of months ago so
not
| much junk is there.
| Thanks for any insight to this.
|
| Randy

It's not true that a clean install is best, whether upgrading from 98 to XP or from Home to Pro. A clean install is only needed if your current Windows installation is not working properly.

In addition, there is no need for a "yearly clean install of XP." That might have been necessary under certain circumstances for the 9x Windows, but not the NT-based Windows.

Ted Zieglar

"Randy" <cakeman47@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:nOZ_e.30229$X6.8050@fe05.lga...
> Ok I know if you go from Win9X to XP Pro it's best to format and do a clean
> install but is there any advantage to do this when you go from XP Home to XP
> Pro? I did my yearly clean install of XP Home a couple of months ago so not
> much junk is there.
> Thanks for any insight to this.
>
> Randy

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Old habits are hard to break. <g> XP was acting up so I just did a clean
install and all was fine. Thanks for the tips Ted I will install Pro over
Home. As for 98 to XP I just can't see leaving all that 98 junk in a new XP
install and I did have a few problems when I did just that and a clean
install was better. Just what worked for me.

Again Thanks
Randy

It's not true that a clean install is best, whether upgrading from 98 to XP
or from Home to Pro. A clean install is only needed if your current Windows
installation is not working properly.

In addition, there is no need for a "yearly clean install of XP." That might
have been necessary under certain circumstances for the 9x Windows, but not
the NT-based Windows.

Ted Zieglar

"Randy" <cakeman47@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok I know if you go from Win9X to XP Pro it's best to format and do a
> clean
> install but is there any advantage to do this when you go from XP Home to
> XP
> Pro? I did my yearly clean install of XP Home a couple of months ago so
> not
> much junk is there.
> Thanks for any insight to this.
>
> Randy

To be fair, many experienced users prefer a clean install under all circumstances, for no other reason than it's a fresh start. Why import previously unknown problems into a new operating system, and why fill your hard disk with the extra overhead?

The thing is, a clean install is really an advanced manouver, and many people just aren't equipped to get it right. Fortunately, the upgrade from 98 to XP and Home to Pro works well, so there's really no need to do a clean install. However, if clean install is what you want to do, and you're well prepared to pull it off, nobody will argue against it.

Ted Zieglar

"Randy" <cakeman47@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ME__e.620$np2.590@fe02.lga...
> Old habits are hard to break. <g> XP was acting up so I just did a clean
> install and all was fine. Thanks for the tips Ted I will install Pro over
> Home. As for 98 to XP I just can't see leaving all that 98 junk in a new XP
> install and I did have a few problems when I did just that and a clean
> install was better. Just what worked for me.
>
> Again Thanks
> Randy

> It's not true that a clean install is best, whether upgrading from 98 to XP
> or from Home to Pro. A clean install is only needed if your current Windows
> installation is not working properly.
>
> In addition, there is no need for a "yearly clean install of XP." That might
> have been necessary under certain circumstances for the 9x Windows, but not
> the NT-based Windows.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Randy" <cakeman47@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok I know if you go from Win9X to XP Pro it's best to format and do a
>> clean
>> install but is there any advantage to do this when you go from XP Home to
>> XP
>> Pro? I did my yearly clean install of XP Home a couple of months ago so
>> not
>> much junk is there.
>> Thanks for any insight to this.
>>
>> Randy

Derek1387

i had problems when trying to upgrade my Home SP2 to Pro SP2... it didnt want to upgrade. It ended up screwing up my HOME so then I had to fresh install my Home....

Oh well, i have a fresh HOME now, it is like a new computer all over again!