Closing the L1 bridges?

G

Hi all. First post for me...
I just bought a duron 750 (locked) and i wonder about the unlocking. Do i really need to get a (silver)conductive pen or is it possible with just a regular black lead pen? Or what else can i use?
Thanks
/Moridin

meat_popsiclez

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A good quality pencil will work fine, but I think it has issues with longevity. I did my brothers up so it would auto sense a higher voltage (default voltage that is) aswell as unlock the multiplier but I think some of the pencil led has deteriorated and has stopped conducting, so it now defaults to wrong settings. The pencil is a good temporary solution, but it doesn't last. This one lasted about 2 months without problems, but then started acting up.

----------------------------
Are you classified as human?
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

G

The pencil trick won't last for ever. Try the conductive ink! Be carefull not to close contacts between the L1 bridges themselves.

Also, be carefull installing the HeatSink/Fan. The thermal tape may not be usable after the first install. You'll need some thermal compound to replace the tape.

Good luck!

G

Thank you both.
I have now done the trick and my duron runs stable at 850. But the temp is a pretty big problem because on heavy load it goes up to 53C. So i really must get a better fan soon.. now i have a Titan, and A7V bios 1004.
/Moridin

G

I have the titan Majesty too, and run about that heat for my Athlon 800 clocked to 1000. I think it will be OK, sure it is a little hot but I dont think dangerously so. If you can afford a new fan, then get one, but before you do that upgrade to the 1005a bios, I've heard it can bring temps down a little too..and if you are using probe, don't trust it, I think the bios will give you a better reading of the temp. But who really knows, there has been quite some discussion on the subject, many people suggesting that the bios and other temp readings are determined by far to many outside factors to be truly accurate. If you are still worried, maybe you should get some Arctic Silver paste...I have heard only good reports about it, and it is much cheaper than a new fan.

DESIGN TEAM