Closed

Can't Install FAX for Windows XP? Try this to manually rei..

April 1, 2004 5:46:04 PM

After a long time spent I came up with this:

to reinstall FAX service and the FAX printer:

Copy everything between the ***** into notepad [Don't copy any
astericks, *]

set obj = CreateObject("FaxControl.FaxControl.1")

if not obj.IsFaxServiceInstalled then
WScript.echo "Installing Fax Service..."
obj.InstallFaxService
obj.InstallLocalFaxPrinter
elseif not obj.IsLocalFaxPrinterInstalled then
WScript.echo "Reinstalling Fax Printer..."
obj.InstallFaxService
obj.InstallLocalFaxPrinter
else
WScript.echo "Fax printer is ready to go."
end if

save the file as ReinstallFax.vbs, then open the ReinstallFax.vbs
from where y0u saved it.

This works for me on WinXP Pro.
My problem was using the Optional Components then clicking fax doesn't
work or install.

Also if you have an Error: "Fax printers are inaccessible" message go
to http://www.filesaveas.com/solutions.html and download his
fixfax.reg and merge/open it, then execute the ReinstallFax.vbs file
above

Zeos
July 11, 2006 7:58:17 PM

Hi Zeos,

I was having this problem, used your script and then got a 'printer already exists!' message so...

Went back and deleted the printer from control panel, and then just before running your script again decided to try the traditional 'add windows components' route one last time - and bingo! All is good.

Just something else for people to try out. Thanks
October 5, 2006 1:12:56 PM

Hello Zeos.

I have Windows XP SP2 and Office 2003 SP2 with all hotfixes till yesterday. The windows fax service was working fine and recently it stopped sending messages but will receive only. I decided to uninstall the windows fax component and it removed. Now when I try to reinstall it appears configuring fax etc. however no fax printer installed and fax service status shows stopping and status type is disabled. The tick mark against the Windows fax component in the add/remove is still blank. After I restart computer the fax service also disappears from the list.

I used your vbscript also gives the same result plus the following error message:

Line: 6
Char: 1
Error: The specified port is unknown
Code: 80070704
Source: (null)

I also tried repair reinstall of Widnows xp with no result. Please help.
[/img]
Related resources
February 25, 2007 11:31:06 PM

hey there
did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have the same issue now and it's driving me crazy. any help would be appreciated
June 2, 2009 2:59:22 PM

cadogangb said:
If you're still looking for a potential solution please take a look at my post on http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
I got it to work eventually. :D

Hi there, I've tried to find your solution that you posted but without any luck, it was two years ago, but I'm desperate as I'm having the same problem as everybody else here and it's doing my head in. I"m getting the same error message so was hoping you could help ??
August 13, 2009 7:01:30 AM

I had this problem in a fresh install of XP Pro sp2, updated to sp3.

It is addressed in Microsoft support KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018

I applied the "rebuild corrupted security database" fix in KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278316/

*** take note of the warnings and do this EXACTLY as described ... and note that %TEMP% is the temp folder, usually in your c:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\Temp ****

It worked perfectly for me. Good luck.

October 6, 2009 3:16:54 PM

I've lost count of how many hours I spent looking for a solution to reinstall my fax services. Fax was working without a hitch on my XP - SP2, until a windows update about 3 months ago. I'm obviously only one of about a million people looking for help fixing their fax issue. Some of the "solutions" scared the crap out of me, I don't like messing "behind the scenes" of my puter .... and none of those things worked. I finally found A VERY SIMPLE ANSWER that worked for ME and am posting it in case it might help someone else.

1. Click on the Windows Start Menu.

2. Click Run.

3. Type esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb in the Open
box, and click OK.

You should now be able to install fax services through the Control Panel Add/Remove Windows Components.

The link below is where I found the solution, after clicking 3 links to get to it I decided to just copy and paste here......... but the credit goes to the author Dave Murphy at the following google group.

(thanks to http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows...)
!