How do you change your ip address in windows 7

zanydude1

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hello,
I was booted offline on xbox but it was a complete internet boot, not a console one. Since then my internet has been extremely slow and constantly on a strict NAT type. The person who booted me told me to change my IP because of the 'virus' infecting my current IP with a download speed blocker. Any ideas?

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

was this by any chance a phone call you got over the phone?

i got a call from some idiot who didnt have a clue what he was talking about.

saying that the ip server for my area was down.

at that i knew it was bollocks what he was saying.

did you install anything they mentioned about?

your ip is a number given to you by your isp. you cant really affect it at all and usually any download program that has a speed limiter does it on the machine not on the whole network unless it is a setting in the router

This is how to change your local IP. Your ISP controls your WAN IP.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings

If this was your ISP telling you this, I'd run an A/V scan. If you are certain your computer is clean, see if you can provide your ISP with your router logs. The last time my ISP booted me and said I had a virus, it turned out that they had a rogue DHCP server on their network. My router logs helped them discover it and shut it down. Of course, I had to escalate a few times since the lower level techs had no clue what I was trying to tell them. When I finally got to talk to one of the network engineers, they discovered the problem quickly.

laiskapummi

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
My ISP did the same to me. I had to get the computer repaired. Any anti virus couldn't remove the virus I had.

I quess everything they did in the repair shop was a clean windows install. And they did that poorly too. Maybe you could try that.

zanydude1

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
No you guys dont understand, someone over mic on xbox had a program that could boot your ip offline and then mess the NAT type and sometimes the download speed. ITS NOT A VIRUS! It just messes the ip up. Which is why i needed to get a new ip which only one of you told me how to do.

rpg_poser

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
So someone on xbox live disconnected your xbox360 from the internet? They then told you your xbox was infected with a virus that slows the connection to your ISP and the fix is to change it's IP address? They also told you that it changes a NAT type?
Sounds like complete BS to me. Anyone else hear about some LEET xbox360 program that works on hacked xboxes that can do this?

At home, do you use a router for LAN or wireless access or do you just go directly to your DSL/Cable modem?

Yeah, I'll call it B.S. No remote program can change your NAT type unless you were stupid enough to leave remote management turned on in your router and left the default admin password on it.

The persons in charge of the server could boot you, but that should be about it.

Apexzer0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I agree, the NAT can't be changed that easily without actual access to your network. And infected ip? Seriously? Poppycock! Youost likely use a dynamic ip that changes all the time