Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
My CPU is being taxed for 98-99% of power by unknown sources on winxp. I pulled up the task manager to see what was doing it and no process was responsible for this. The system idle process says 99% My box is just barely able to get things done slowly. I've done a virus scan (Computer Associates ezantivirus it's always worked well for me) I did a spyware search with spybot and the free scan at pc pitstop and found nothing. This is nuts. I'm going to burn up here.

rigit

jubei_woop

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
i was using spybot for a while and thought everything was fine and dandy. had the autoprotect popup blocker on, all was up to date, my pc was imunized by the program. i thought my pc was clean. that was until i got a copy of spyware doctor. i ran a search through my system after instal (as you do) and it came up with 263 spyware programs!!! spybot managed to miss all these?! so i got rid of them and now my pc is noticably faster on startup, shut down and everything in between. free software is good, but if you want a clean pc, youll have to spend some cash. so, the point of this reply is maybe to try a better spyware remover

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dude, once in a while there is a good advise comes into your life (lucky you;) and it WILL make your life eezee(er).

INSTALL WIN2K and be marry with your life until something at least a little better than XP comes in (I don't think there will be anything better than win2k for a while though:(

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

RichPLS

Champion
LMAO!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I have tried allot of spyware programs but have never found anything better than CounterSpy. Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wish it had all the drivers win2k has and could run programs (at least all MS ones) I would use it, but for now it is not at all what win2k "should've been", caz win2k runs EVERYTHING I need, win2k3 does NOT. [/source]

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i thought my pc was clean. that was until i got a copy of spyware doctor. i ran a search through my system after instal (as you do) and it came up with 263 spyware programs!!! spybot managed to miss all these?!
There is a lot of anti spyware programs that using this tactic. It claims that finding out many spywares in your system (which is mostly not true) so when you want to get rid these spywares you have to buy its subscription. I've tried Spyware doctor and don't like it (scan too long and consume too much resources which slowing down my comp).
For the best antispywares, I like Microsoft antispyware, Lavasoft Ad-aware and Spybot.

jubei_woop

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
im not sure if its a tactic in this case since it did remove all found infections, and, i have found an incredible boost in performance and startup speed. i dont use the auto gaurd feature so the program isnt on unless i want it on. so the resources problem doesnt have to exist. but im very shocked about spybot since microsoft recommends it. im still using it though for double protection.

riser

Illustrious
I'm hoping you're using Spybot v1.4 plus the updates you should manually download, and immunize before running the scan?

High CPU consumption isn't nearly as fun as high alcohol consumption.

I use MS Antispyware almost exclusively... though sometimes I will also use Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware SE.

At home, I use Panda Internet Security... and I've found that it's sypware protection is pretty good... it treats spyware like viruses... it won't let the program install.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>