FSB o/c on TBird?

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Im interested in overclocking my Thunderbird 800, but am turned off by all the modifying of the processor bridges that have to be done in order to increase the clock multiplier. I have an Asus A7V and have noticed in the BIOS that I can FSB overclock and modify the core voltage all without opening up the case.
So I am wondering, what kind of results can I get from FSB overclocking and what other system frequencies does this change (ie PCI bus, memory bus, etc)? How high can the FSB go and what vcore should I be at?

TBird 800 - Asus A7V 1005a
256 PC133 - Maxtor 45GB ATA100
Radeon 32DDR - SB Live MP3+

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You would be very lucky to get 115Mhz FSB, and its more likely that you could only get about 108Mhz. At that minor increase the other system components should be fine. The Vcore should be at the lowest setting in which your system is still 100% stable.

The chipsets using the EV6 bus (ie. chipsets for AMD's Athlon/Duron's) do not have a very overclockable FSB. I would suggest that you look into unlocking the multiplier settings on your chip. It is the only was to signicantly overclock AMD chips.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can only hit 105 FSB and be 100% stable on my A7V.
U really need to conquer your fear and unlock the L1 bridges.
It's super easy and the only risk is removing your heatsink.
I have removed mine over half a dozen times (I just can’t leave well enough alone).
If u take your time u will have no problems.
It's the only way to make significant OCing gains.
Isn’t that the reason u bought an A7V?
Cya

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK, despite what my parents would think if they knew i could ruin my new "dream system", I think im gonna close the L1 bridges. But i have a few questions first:
1) which bridges do you open/close? toms guide says you have to do this to 1-4, but since i have an a7v i dont have to right?
2) what is that silver conductive pen and where can you get one?

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
im looking through the a7v manual and it looks like i can just use dip switches to overclock. all i have to do is turn jumperfree mode off and i can set the multiplier, fsb, and the core voltage
is there some reason this doesnt work that tom didnt mention?
also, i think i might need a new heatsink/fan (i have the coolmasters that came with the tbird, not bad but not great), so should i get some thermal grease or thermal compound? does the compound help anything?

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok this is what u do.
Carefully remove your heat sink.
Flip the lever next to the CPU and remove it.
The L1 bridges will look like this ::::
When u close them they will look like this ||||
Just use a #2 pencil or if u want something more heavy-duty just run down to Pepboys and buy some defogger paint.
Closing the L1 with a pencil is easy. It’s hard with paint.
If u decide to go the paint route use a needle to apply the paint and have some cotton swabs and alcohol ready. If u get too much paint on the needle a big blob will cover up 2 or 3 bridges so u will need to wipe it off.
It’s tricky to apply the paint so u might want to stick with the pencil trick.
Now reinstall the CPU and u might want to upgrade your heat sink to a Alpha PAL6035 or a FOP38 but don’t buy the loud ass delta fan. I got a copper hedgehog but it’s a little pricey.
Put some thermal grease on the CPU.
Mount your temp probe on the bottom of your heat sink so it will be right next to the CPU.
Now install the heat sink.
Now u can use those dip switches to change your multiplier.
Make sure u go to Asus.com and print out the dip switch settings.
There was an error in the manual and all the setting are wrong.
I don’t know if they have fixed it and/or when so just double check.
This was the reason I took off my CPU the first 3 times to reconnect my L1 bridges which were connected fine all 3 times.
Hope this helps u.
There are tons of articles about this exact mobo on the web, overclockers.com, athlonOC.com just to name a few.
So study a few more articles. Buy the stuff and then go for it.
Good luck & Cya

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks a lot, this doesnt sound too dificult now that i get the theory behind everything. I think i will use the #2 pencil trick. Im also gonna order the GlobalWin FOP32-1 which anandtek rated as one of the best and not too loud. So after i get all the stuff im gonna try it out and let you all know how it went. Im gonna need some luck ;)

G

My Athlon 800 runs at 1000, here are my tips...
follow the pencil trick..worked for me and others. Set the JEN jumper to the non default position, disabling jumper free mode. Now you can play with the jumpers. Set the FSB jumpers to all ON for 100FSB. I personally don't want to mess with my FSB, but others have done. Next set the multiplier, probably the highest you will be able to get is 10X, giving you the big G. Make sure the fan is installed and plugged in, then power up. For stability get bios 1005a, promise drivers build 33, and via 4in1 425. Should be fine then.

DESIGN TEAM

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oh, btw whats the chance of outright blowing the thunderbird? from the sound of it, its not to great unless you dont put on the hs/fan

G

Don't power up without the HSF locked on and plugged in. Monitor you temps to see if they are acceptable...my 800 OC1000 runs at about 52C, never going over 60C...I'm happy with that, I have a crappy Majesty fan, but never mind. If you are too hot, just get some arctic silver or a new fan...read up and you'll see whats best. I never heard of anyone melting their chip yet...one guy crushed his when trying to install the HSF, so be careful and go slowly.

DESIGN TEAM