Am I the only one with a cool CPU?

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
24C???
Is this your cpu temp?
If so, what is your room temp? Are you living in an igloo?
Mine is 45C right now, after about and hour and a half of Unreal Tourney.
My mobo temp is 28C now.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If your going to brag about your CPU temp u need to give some details like Mother board, heat sink etc.
I doubt your CPU is at 24C if u are air cooled, My A7V temp is higher then that!
I think your temp probe fell off or u mounted it on the top fin of the hear sink :)
Try mounting it on the bottom of the heat sink as close to the CPU as possible.
Cya

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You've either got a very cold room or a faulty reading. I can understand this if you are using Probe. Probe told me that my processor was running BELOW room temp before I got the upgrade. Now I run around 35C in a 23C room.

G

I would guess that it is either an early version of Asus PcProbe in combination with a CUSL2, or take your pick of any possible Socket A mb. Even a compensated BIOS A7V or KT7 can be "tinkered" with to produce cool cpu results.

For example, aiming a fan directly at the area behind the chip, so that the airflow effects the socket-thermistor even more.

Mike

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/socketatemps" target="_new">Socket A MBs: Temperature Accuracy and Comparison Issues</A>

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Doesn't Grizley1 live in Canada? It's about 0 Fahrenheit (-18C) here in upstate NY, and Canada is usually a lot colder. He probably doesn't even need a Heatsink/fan on his processor and just puts his computer outside :)

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yes I'm in Canada but I'm more southern than you! (Hehehe)

But it's -30 here (Farenheit!) so this room <i>is</i> pretty cold.

anyway,
If your going to brag about your CPU temp u need to give some details like Mother board, heat sink etc.
I doubt your CPU is at 24C if u are air cooled, My A7V temp is higher then that!
I think your temp probe fell off or u mounted it on the top fin of the hear sink :)
Try mounting it on the bottom of the heat sink as close to the CPU as possible.
Cya
LOL I'm not <i>THAT</i> stupid! C'mon, I build computer for a living.

My temperature probe is in there pressed right to the chip itself (the wires are quite thin to it was able to fit in the space between the heatsink and cpu, and it's epoxied in there.) And I wasn't bragging. I believe the title of the topic was "Am I the only one with a cool CPU?" then a shocked guy beside it.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Like I said before, what is your room temp or at least the temp of the air outside of your case? If your cpu is 24C, the mobo or case temp must be lower because the cpu always runs hotter. This would put your room temp a bit below 70F.
Do you have to wear a jacket when you work on your computer?

Please don't get offended by my questions, I would just like to know how cold a person's room temp must be to get the chip that cold. I don't think I would believe that the chip is running at the same temp as the room air.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Granted it may not be running a little hotter, but after i have my hands in room temperature for awhile and touch the heatsink closest to the chip it doesn't feel hot at all, in fact it barely feels luke warm. this situation is also puzzling to me as well.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Oh yes, sorry.

The heatsink I am using is a Global Win VOS32+ (yes *sniffle* it's an Athlon classic).

My fan is quite unusually customized. It's a squirrel cage type fan w/ three "nozzles". One I have directed at my hard drives, one at my O/Ced video card, and the largest one is attached to my heatsink with a custom shroud.

Before attaching the heatsink, I took off the heat plate and sanded it down nice and smooth (it's PERFECTLY flat, took me 2 and a half hours). I also sanded down the heatsink perfectly flat, that took me about 2 hours. I used a nice piece of glass laying around to use for the flat object to sand on.... worked quite well. Then I put a nice thin layer of Arctic Silver on and snapped that thing down real good. :)

mpjesse

Splendid
Running you CPU at 24 degrees celcius is pointless anyways... these processors are designed to withstand heats up to 200 degrees F- supposedly. Anyways, running it cool isn't going to accomplish crap. As long as it's under...i'd say 60 degrees celcius- it's all good baby! Mine runs at about 50 degrees celcius (idle) and it's overclocked from 800 to 1ghz (T-bird).

-MP Jesse