Critical System Failure After Windows Updates

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I've had a beautiful XP system going now for about 4-5 weeks. Smooth as silk and fast. Fully protected; love the OS.

I just completed about eight Security Updates from the update site. Seemed to download flawlessly, verified, and then installed themselves. I was told to reboot, whereupon I no longer can boot up normally OR EVEN IN SAFE MODE. It just keeps restarting over and over.

When I "Disable automatic restart after system failure", I get a blue screen with the following error:

"Stop: Bad Image Checksum
The image urlmon.dll is corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

Do I have a way out of this crap?

This agony from Windows XP updating itself!

I'm writing this to you guys from my 98SE machine which has NEVER failed me in five years.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I'm not sure what to go about. The MBR is okay; the boot files on "C" are okay. I don't know how to handle this urlmon thing. Which repair would I do?

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Well looks like you will have to reinstall. You can either re-format the drive and start over or just reinstall the OS over your current install. A re-format is probably the best option in my opinion.

Repair install

</font color=red><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ Dirty Little Sausage ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
While LMAO I forgot to mention that in the order to save your files you have to install XP into different folder ("ILoveXP_2" will do) and then copy your OE into your new install folder (but copy it after you reestablish accounts first to have it foolly functional).

Anyway, in the future (I mean take it as a free lesson) have your OE files in the separate drive (partition) from your OS so next time (based on your experience approximately 4 to 5 weex) your lovely XP goes tits up you still have your mail intact.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I took a shot to try and fix this problem.

I copied urlmon.dll from a friends' machine onto a floppy, and came home and booted up with my XP cd until I saw the option for Repair. This gives me a C:\Windows prompt. I change directory into System32 and copy the dll from the floppy into the system32 folder.

I rebooted (removing all disks), and voila, I went right into my desktop with everything okay.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Happy ending is a good thing, but a good thing with a happy ending is much better ( if you know what I mean ;o)

PS: I mean you have a good brain to fix a thing, which is a good thing, hehehe..

PSS: meanwhile, did you make your OE folder on a different partition to have it "safe" for next time when XP decides to looze a system file, hehehe?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

G

Hello guys, I'm writing from Italy, exeriencing a similar problem:
An horrible blue screen with the message: STOP: c0000221 {bad image checksum} the image urlmon.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum
What can I do? I've got photos of all my life on the hard disk, can you please help me?

nikc bbb

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
i have this exact same problem. im only 14 years old, and have completely ruined my computer. i am talking now from our other computer. i downloaded a song, from airmp3.net, with my antivirus protection OFF... i come back the next morning, and cant log in, as this blue screen with:

(STOP: c0000221 {bad image checksum} the image urlmon.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum)

I feel horrible about this. can someone please help me? that computer had all of my dads files, tax returns, and work-oriented things on it.