Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking PIII-1ghz

Last response: in Overclocking
December 29, 2000 8:40:34 PM

Hi

Anyone know the resluts obtainable from overclocking a 1gig PIII (a real 1gig on 133 bus). I just bought one of these and have currently got it running at 1125 without problems (it's currently running a Stability test without problems for 6 hours).

I've tried going to 1.2 gig, but the machine freeze whilst loading windows. I've got a decent heatsink (but not one of the best ones, and I haven't applied thermal compound, so it's using the thermal pad provided), and the temperature (at 1125mhz) never goes above 40, even when running the stability test.

Is it worth buying a top-of-the-range fan and some Arctic silver compound, or can these chips not handle 1.2?

Thanks in advance

Kris

More about : overclocking piii 1ghz

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2000 2:08:29 AM

What voltage are you running? You can get an FOP32 and some Artic Silver and bump the voltage up to 1.90 or 1.95 if you like, but you'll have to WATCH THE TEMPS at that voltage! If you are getting 1125 at 1.80 volts or less, you just might be able to reach 1.2ghz. I don't know of anyone who actually OWNS a 1ghz PIII, but have seen slower processors clock up to 1.18ghz with proper cooling at very high voltage levels.
December 31, 2000 2:09:41 AM

Hi guys

Thanks very much for both replies. To tell the truth, I didn't intend to overclock the CPU (the only reason I bought it rather than a Tbird 1200 is that Tbird boards don't work with my soundcard). I only tried it to see if I could overclock. At the moment it's running a 1125 without problems.

I say this, but I was having random freezes (even at 133fsb) until I removed two of my 3 sticks of 128mb. Will this problem be board or memory related.

My board is a BX133 raid. I have another question. I'm using a Matrox G400, and at 150fsb it's obviously 50% overclocked. Is this safe for the board? I've only had the board a few days and could return it for (for example) an Asus CUSL, but I'm happy with my current setup. Would a 815 board be a better solution, or is the fact that the G400 is currently working good enough reason to keep the BX?

Thanks again

Kris

PS. I'm getting 1125 with standard 1.70 voltage. I can even REDUCED the voltage to 1.65 at this speed, and it still works. Is this normal or have I just got a "good" CPU?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2000 4:42:04 AM

NOT normal, you have an EXELENT CPU! If you go to a CUSL2 you will probably get more stability at higher bus speeds, and take some of the pressure off that video card! You might even be able to clock higher with it! If you can run that fast with the processor set at 1.65v you might be able to get it to 1.2GHZ using a CUSL2 at 1.75 volts with the cooler your now using and not overheat it! But at least for the first few full load test keep an eye on the heat!
December 31, 2000 9:57:32 AM

Hi crashman

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that running my video card at a 50% overclock will damage it, reduce its life or what. To tell the truth, I'm not sure how it's working at this speed as Anand (I think) said that the G400 couldn't even work at the 33% overclock, but who knows?

Do you have a CUSL board. The one the shop has is a CUSL2-m (or something like that?), is this an update or something. Would the Asus definately be more stable than my current Abit board. As I said, I was getting random crashes with all 384mb of my memory in (even at 133fsb). Would the Asus get rid of these problems?

As for having an excellent CPU, what is the highest temperature my CPU can take. At the moment, whilst running the Stability cert at 1125, my temperature reaches 40.5c maximum. This seems lower than many peoples, but many have also said that above 40 is dangerous?

Also, I'm a little worried about taking the cooler off again to get the CPU out, as it requires a lot of pressure to remove and I'm a little paranoid at the reports of cracked CPUs!!

Thanks again
December 31, 2000 10:18:01 AM

Hi crashman

As a note to the above, I've just got it running at 1200. This time, it needed 1.8v to get into booting windows, and 1.85 to fully load windows. I've ran the stability cert for about 10 minutes at this speed without problems (1.85v).

My G400 obviously doesn't like it though, instead of spaces it's printing boxes and other strange symbols. My Soundcard doesn't like it either :(  so I couldn't keep it at this speed even if I got a CUSL, but I might get one to run at 1.1 with a safe AGP speed.

Would a CUSL DEFINATELY be as stable as the BX133, or is there a chance it wouldn't work at his speed. It looks like I DID get a good CPU (although I've put some cheapo heat-sink-compound on now which has probably helped, maybe it's worth buying some Artic Silver?)! I'm still worried about removing that CPU though, the cooler (Taisol) is VERY tight....

Kris
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2000 10:37:18 AM

If you're curious, you can visit the forums at <A HREF="http://www.cusl2.com" target="_new">http://www.cusl2.com&lt;/A> and see what kind of problems people are experiencing.

Mike
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2000 9:13:56 PM

I am not sure on the memory. I have the CUSL2. The CUSL2-C is the same but with the integrated video connector removed (no one uses it anyway, and it's a little cheaper, but was not yet available when I bought mine). The CUSL2-M is the Micro ATX version and has only 3PCI and an AGP slot (it fits in shorter cases). It is arguably the most stable at bus speeds above 133MHZ. As for the memory, the only memory problem I have heard of with the CUSL2 is something about not being able to properly address 512MB modules, but I think a Bios upgrade fixes that. Mine runs stable always, and there are people on CUSL2.com that have theirs running up to 180 MHZ front side bus (with minor cooling modifications).
40.5C is way low. These things can go up to about 60 safely, but should no be kept over 50 for long periods of time in order to insure a long life. Most run about 35 idle, 45 under max load.
As for getting the cooler off don't worry too much-it's the Athlons that are fragile, the PIII has a PLASTIC pin grid array which is slightly flexible, compared to the athlon's Silicon pin grid which is brittle (although a better conductor of heat). Just make sure you don't slip and damage a good motherboard.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2000 9:25:34 PM

OK, now I say DEFINATELY go with the CUSL2. You will be able to reduce your APG from 105MHZ to 79 MHZ and your PCI bus from 53 to 40MHZ. That should make your video card and sound card happy. The reason for this is that the BX chipset only supports 2/3 bus speed for the AGP port and 1/3 bus speed for the PCI bus, but the 815/815E chipset supports 1/2 bus speed AGP and 1/4 bus speed for PCI. This is due to the design, as the later was designed to operate all peripherals at normal speeds with a 133MHZ bus speed. So you can DEFINATELY improve the situation going to a CUSL2.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2000 11:29:29 PM

Ignore everything I just said and sell me that processor please? lol
January 1, 2001 2:51:39 AM

Hi again Crashman

Thanks very much again for the advice. I tried the cpu faster still, and it very nearly gets into windows at 1245mhz (1.85volts). It posts, hard drives check ok, loads the initial windows page, displays the config black screen again, then the screen becomes jumbled when the windows page displays again, and the system hangs.

At this speed, the CPU temperature when idle (read from the bios, which I presume is idle??) is 39.5c.

I'd like to ask a few more questions if I may.

(1) My soundcard didn't like a 12% overclock on my Aopen AX6B+. At the moment, it works with the 12% overclock (1125mhz) on the BX133-Raid. Is it almost guaranteed to also work with the CUSL at this bus setting?

(2) If I wanted to go faster than this (which my soundcard wont take), could I have a dual-boot system, using Windows with soundcard disabled when overclocking more, or is disabling devices in windows not enough to overcome problems with overclocking their PCI bus?

(3) How far do you think the CPU could go if I bought a top-of-the-range fan and Artic Silver compound. Everywhere I've read says that PIIIs will NOT go over 1.2ghz, yet it would appear that some of my problems at 1245 are AGP related (and even if not, surely a better cooler and Artic silver would get it working if it nearly gets into windows??)

(4) Why the sporadic crashes in my system when I use more than one stick of ram. These happen even at 133fsb (it's 133 ram). Is this likely to be a faulty mainboard, faulty ram or what??

(5) When running at 150+ fsb speeds on the CUSL, will the IDE, USB, COM port (etc. etc.) interfaces still work ok?

As for you wanting the chip, the whole episode seems ironic to me. I first bought a Duron 700 (which I still have, running at 988 on an MSI board) which wouldn't work with my Soundcard (due to problems with Athlon/Duron mainboards). I then bought a 700e (cB0 stepping), with the aim of reaching 933 (133 bus which wouldn't overclock my soundcard), but the chip couldn't do it. So I buy a CPU capable of 1.2ghz(+?) but I can't run this fast because of my soundcard!!

Such is life..

Kris
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2001 3:35:37 AM

1.)Guess again-the Processor might be overclocked by only 12%, but the Soundcard and Video card are both overclocked by 50%. This is the problem with the BX chipset, it is not CAPABLE of runing PCI at anything less than 1/3 bus speed or the AGP at anything less than 2/3, because it was never designed to go higher than 100MHZ bus. The fact that is does is a credit to it's design. Even running your CPU at the NORMAL speed of 1000MHZ leaves all you cards overclocked by 1/3! This in the main reason to change to a CUSL2-it will allow you cards to be set at a lower clock, due to it's PCI 1/4 and AGP 1/2 settings for bus speeds of 133 or greater.
2.)On a board with an 815/815E chipset, your soundcard should work BETTER than it did at the same bus speed on the BX board, because it will ONLY be overclocked by 12% instead of 50% like it is now! So you should be able to get the soundcard to work at MUCH higher bus speed.
3.) Try running it at 1.2 GHZ under a full load on a CUSL2 or other good quality 815 motherboard. If it is stable, try it higher! Just keep an eye on the temps!
4.)I can't really say what is causing the ram problem or if a new motherboard will help. All I can say is try it!
5.)I have had no problems with my board, nor have I heard of any, with the 150-160MHZ bus speeds your considering. Most of these things are integrated into the chipset, which can handle the bus speeds you need.
As to your conclusion, quit worrying about your soundcard. I outlined why it should work above!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2001 2:15:09 AM

I noticed that this post has been sitting a few days. I'm really trying to encourage this guy. Anyone elso want to chime in?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2001 8:58:05 PM

he is right i took my little 550e to 733 on my asus p2b bx that was max. it now on a p3v4x it is running at 814 and everybody is happy. a 48% overclock. it just won't do 825 @150 so it'l do until the new ddr boards come out. i mean a 3dmark score of 6920 ain't too bad
January 10, 2001 8:48:03 PM

What is so special about this darn sound card. After reading all the about posts its probably the only thing stopping you going any higher! You've been blessed with a fine CPU so if you can go that high, and you obviously have the cash, upgrade the motherboard! Happy Overclocking :) 

Oh, and I'll be REALY interested to know of any benchmark scores for a 1.2GHz P3
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 12, 2001 2:37:58 AM

Medazz: You have got to be kidding, you bought that damn P3 1ghz CPU because of your sound card?!?! What were you thinking? Just curious, but did you compare the price of an Athlon 1Ghz CPU, motherboard, and new sound card to the price of the Intel 1Ghz CPU, I bet it is about the same and you could have got all new equipment. Think!!!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2001 9:47:28 AM

Very important!
I figured it out: use a “16 penny nail”!!!
Stick the pointed end in the square hole on the metal clip push down and in towards the sink!!!
IT COMES RIGHT OFF!!! No slipping no struggle and most importantly no scratched board!!!
Just glad to help BDISK

PS, Serious replies only! pLeAzE!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2001 1:46:19 AM

Your right-I found that out about a month ago, I should have went back and posted an update. I never had a BX board with this option in BIOS so I din't know until recently that some boards do. The ones I had were all automatically configured. The BX still has only 2/3 AGP divider though.

Suicide is painless...........
!