G

I purchased a PIII 800/100bus SECC2 Slot 1 for my Asus P2B-DS. I downloaded the current bios and used the asus flash update, rebooted, shows the new bios at startup and runs fine with my PII 450.
I removed cpu and put in the 800 PIII which is also SECC2 instead of SEC like the PII but fits fine. I set the jumpers to use the 8x multiple with a 100 bus.
Start machine and only the power fan runs, nothing else runs...shut down system and converted back to the 450 PII..everything is ok.
Please help me if possible as i'm getting frustrated. Is it possible the cpu voltage isn't set correctly? if so how do i change it.
Thank you!

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First you may want to contact Asus to verify that your mobo does support that procesor if so make sure the settings are corret and once again if thay are then it sounds like the procesor may be bad.

SANDMAN

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds exactly like my problem dude. You might be out some money. The P3 800 is a coppermine core (L2 on the die, smaller die), your old CPU was Katmai core probably. My bro had a P2B and Celeron 300a. I bought him a P3 700 and had the exact same problem as you. Turns out the older hardware revision of the P2B can't supply the lower core voltage to the coppermine core. Katmai was over 2V core, coppermine is like 1.65V. Those Intel boards auto detect the voltage so you can't really change it. You have a few options. You can exchange the CPU for an older Katmai core P3 600 (as fast as the Katmai went). You can buy a new motherboard like I did (pain in the butt finding a slot1 coppermine board). You can look into getting some sort of slocket adapter with a voltage regulator on it, but I don't know if there is such a thing for slot1 CPUs. Good luck.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"