have i screwed my psu or m/b ???

tonkabilly

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
First, i have an asus a7 pro, athlon 750 unlocked, 128 ram 64 radeon, sound card, 10 gig h/d, 300w ps etc. I overclocked this system to 800 no problem. Went to 875 no problem 900 no go. This was all done with FSB in bios ver 1004d. Since 875 worked i decided to change to jumper mode and start at 850. Set at 100fsb x 8.5 System boots fine into win me. Within @ 1minute the sytem crash to black screen and I had to power off from back of machine. Tried to restart and the system would seem to turn on(hard drive, cd rom etc) but i get no post and my monitor wont turn on. Changed settings back to 100x7.5 no go Changed to jumperless no go. In a previous post someone had the exact same problem but with an A7v and the fix was to short the cmos and reboot. Bin there done that still no go. Ready to pull hair out(not to mention wife is ready to kick my butt:)
Any help would be great. I have tried taking everthing apart but still NO GO.
Help please,
sorry for the long post but tried to give all i have done.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
uumm... did you keep an eye on the cpu temp after you oc'ed it?

what kind of heat sink/fan are ou you using?

also, try giving the ram a little push in, you may have nudged it a little loose (i did that once) when you were messing around with the jumpers.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The monitor won't turn on at all? Sounds like something is wrong with your monitor or your video card. Make sure the video card is set in the slot correctly and make sure the monitor cable is connected to the video card correctly.
And put your jumpers to all OFF and put the jumper to jumperless.
If none of this works, try putting in a different video card and try and hook your monitor to a different computer to make sure the monitor is not bad.
You need to get you monitor to work before you can fix any bios or OS problems.

tonkabilly

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
the monitor is fine as i am writing this post on it on my old system. i will try a different video card though. the problem is that i dont get a post when i boot up. so the monitor wont turn on. how did the pwer supply swap go if you did it???

tonkabilly

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
well, changed the power supply and the new comp still wouldn't start. put the neww power supply from the athlon comp into my old k62 comp and the system started fine so the power supply is ok. changed vid card from radeon 64 to elsa erazor3 and no change. changed ram chips and no change. took bourd out of case and hooked up no change. so did i somehow frap my mb. this is what the power used to do when i first turned on the computer(plug in) it would run for about 2 seconds then turn off, then i would hit the button on the front of the machine and it would turn on fine with no problems. now when i plug it in the fans will all turn once or twice then shut off (not getting full speed from the fans like i used to) i would like to try and fix this myself as i live in a very remote area and there is nobody around to help me without sending the comp out for a few weeks.
thanks

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is there anyway you can put your chip in a different computer to see if it works? Or can you try putting a different chip in your computer to see if that helps?
After all your tests, it has to be your chip or your board. One of them is a gonner.
The only other idea I have is for you to make sure the chip is properly seated and clipped into its socket and the heatsink is on the chip properly. And while you have the HSF off, check to see that your core on the chip is not cracked.

tonkabilly

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
well tried everything but still no go. going to take to a comp shop tomorrow before work. nobody around here believes that amd is actually good??? thanks for the help and will post when i know for sure which is dead(cpu or mb) oh, and no the cpu is fine.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think AMD is pretty damn good.
You probably just need to replace your mobo.
Good luck.
How much does that computer store charge per hour?
Shops around here start at $200 per hour.

tonkabilly

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Hey Bubba,
Thanks for all the help. Turns out that my board is hooped. Not exactly sure what I did or if it was faulty to begin with. Next question, do I stay with the asus or go with and abit board. as to how much it cost, $20 canadian. Usually it is only $40 an hour.My chip worked fine in anouther asus system but another working chip didn't work in my system.
Again thanks:))

G

$200? Man that's a crime! Here in the cold sweden they charge about $70... now that's fair enough...

...man I could cut my head of for $200 / hour.

<b>Voodoo</b><i>Child</i> :cool: