Sign in with
Your question

Next-Generation consoles, discussion

Last response: in Video Games
March 17, 2012 11:52:13 PM

What are your thoughts on the next generations hardware, and what do you think we can expect.
March 18, 2012 12:00:36 AM

With the current consoles at near pathetic hardware but still manage good graphics, how good and easy would it be to jump into a trinity APU for the PS4 or Xbox Next. I mean the cream of the crop A10-5800k would be Quad Core 3.8GHZ(+), Radeon Hd 7660D graphics(+), in one chip. Base your next console around this, lower the chip to 22nm, add the PS3's Super fast RAM ,And Wah Lah a great console that should last 8+ years. Any Comments?
m
l
March 18, 2012 12:02:46 AM

I'll tell you not what I expect but rather what I hope for: some nice new god damned controller designs that are fully compatible with PC. PS3's controller is a nightmare of poorly executed ergonomics in the triggers, and the xbox 360 controller wishes it could be as comfortable and stylish as the Dreamcast controller from over a decade ago. Yeah, I'm ready to fight over these words TO THE DEATH!
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2012 12:06:33 AM

True a good controller design, and support for keyboard/Mouse would bring consoles to even the extremist PC players tv.
m
l
March 18, 2012 12:26:41 AM

The new xbox slims come with a APU, sorta. Its a graphic and CPU on a chip but its just called a System on Chip. This reduced heat, reduced cost, and was more efficient. But with the new Chip it had to be drawn back because it was faster than the old Xbox's with the data not having to travel as far. So this to me puts an APU as a wonderful contestant for the next generation consoles.
m
l
March 18, 2012 12:27:51 AM

Ohhhh no you misunderstand me. There will never be perfect keyboard/mouse support in console games because you can't incorporate such a feature on the platform that makes its bread and butter on A. Controllers and therefore B. FPS games with built in auto-aim.

I just want a nicely designed controller that works when I plug it into my PC that as of now is already several times upon several times more powerful than the next-generation of console will be. =)
m
l
March 18, 2012 12:44:52 AM

Id have to say the absolute perfect Game console would be:
Quad to six APU at 22-14nm and a Radeon Hd 7770 integrated with 512Mb-GPU only memory (on chip) ,
2-4 Gb of Sony's XDR ram at 3200Mhz
120GB SSD

This wouldn't be all that impossible to my mind (im not pro), Intel releasing Ivy Bridge 22nm Cpus in 2012, Amd follows and comes up with a 6 core 22nm Cpu. Bam the Cpu section of an APU. The Apu's graphics are looking to be better every year with trinity packing a 7xxx series, So a low Wattage 7770 isn't all that unreasonable. (Amd's dual graphics can also bring a console some boost) And with Sony already making XDR memory, just create larger versions of it. While this wouldn't blow Pc's out of the water, Console have worked for a while at drawing out something from nothing =) so Pc's may need to watch their backs.
m
l
March 18, 2012 12:52:47 AM

casualcolors said:
Ohhhh no you misunderstand me. There will never be perfect keyboard/mouse support in console games because you can't incorporate such a feature on the platform that makes its bread and butter on A. Controllers and therefore B. FPS games with built in auto-aim.

I just want a nicely designed controller that works when I plug it into my PC that as of now is already several times upon several times more powerful than the next-generation of console will be. =)

True, and this would be an unfair advantage to whom can use a mouse/keyboard to it potential. But i would love to see customization in controllers where the layout of the joysticks can be in a 360 or PS3 fashion. And you could set the angle and length of the 'handle parts' with knobs at the top/bottom and a screwdriver. Better yet take the R.A.T. mouse with different exchangeable parts and bring that to a controller, Instant Cash for the company. Oh well this will most likely never come true...
m
l
March 20, 2012 4:22:15 PM

im not really expecting to much from the new consoles to be honest. I think its going to be the same shell with a better graphics card. They will have bigger HDD out of the gate, probably 250, 500, 750, 1tb versions or there going to slowely upgrade each one like they did with the ps3 and xbox. They wont have SSD's or great CPU's or anything like that because sony learned if you want to throw in good hardware into a console its not going to be cheap. People by consoles because there less than a pc and they play the same games. Everyone is going to want all the extras but there not going to want to pay for the them. Sony released there first consoles with card readers/extra usbs and a bunch of extras but they sold horrible because the console cost more. I think both sides are going to learn from that and not try anything really innovative to be honest. They main focus i think it going to be the online. There both probably going to rehaul there store and focus on digital sales (hence the bigger HDD).
m
l
March 20, 2012 5:32:27 PM

casualcolors said:

Hi Casual :) 

Wow ...do consoles have autoaim for FPS...thats cheating lol.....something wrong with console gamers that they cannot learn to aim ??

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
March 20, 2012 5:36:56 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi Casual :) 

Wow ...do consoles have autoaim for FPS...thats cheating lol.....something wrong with console gamers that they cannot learn to aim ??

All the best Brett :) 

There is a built in auto-correct system to a small degree to compensate for the way that dual analog sticks are inherently less accurate than pointing and clicking with a mouse. Some games can disable this feature but it's pretty much accepted that everyone just uses it. I'm not sure if I feel like it's cheating, but I would say that if it wasn't available to anyone, the skill basement to console fps gaming would be considerably raised without causing imbalance. It can't be any secret though that people are more likely to buy a sequel to a title that they felt some degree of success in though, so I can see why they would take the time to develop and add the feature. Thankfully doesn't affect me at all since I play on PC.
m
l
March 20, 2012 6:32:57 PM

I don't think using a controller for fps is that bad. I use one to play bf3 and usually always end up in the top 10. It takes some getting used to but after a bit you get good with one. Plus when I play bf3 every once in a while on consoles I own everyone but playing with all the of the pc users have trained my reflexes a bit. Lol. It's easier to aim with the mouse but alot easier to move around and do anything else. Plus it's fantastic for vehicles.
m
l
March 25, 2012 10:59:18 PM

There also about being cost effective and i plan on seeing an Apu like chip in the next gen of consoles, and i do see the trend toward game downloads. Shame shame shame that the budget plug in play pc (console) couldn't be better built.
m
l
April 10, 2012 3:06:00 AM

i could see more in 3D and motion gaming- once they get better tech. the tech of today isn't quite there yet to make motion gaming usable- you spend more time fighting the controls the your opponents. i could see a FPS where you actually have a gun you point around, change mags, grenades on your belt, that sort of thing. we are a long way off though. something else really cool (way in the future) is wirelessly charging controllers via tesla coil.
m
l
April 10, 2012 8:23:06 AM

Motion gaming should be abandoned for all times. Seriously.

Less nunchuck controllers, more Saturn dogbones.
m
l
April 10, 2012 3:02:02 PM

now TESLA COIL sounds fun, I want one for a pet at my house, it will guard against intruders
m
l
April 10, 2012 6:00:56 PM

+1 for Saturn dogbones. as said, it would have to be REALLY advanced to make motion gaming usable. really really sensitive and responsive. i played a paintball game for Kinect where you had to pump your fist up and down like you were hitting yourself in the face for the "trigger". terrible.
m
l
April 12, 2012 5:29:50 PM

I think cloud storage and downloading of games as oppused to physical disc will be a big push. They will still ahve disk drives, but will push for digital only (as game developers want)

I think u will see a bump in graphics to fully support 1920x1080 as most HDTVs are nowadays

I think u will see very similar controllers thou, unless the Wii U's touchscreen takes off

I think u will see much bigger hard drives and OS that are more feature rich

I think the next gen consoles will try to be an all in one entainment platform

but i will say, all i care about is gameplay... better graphics are great, but i want gameplay that is solid over good graphics anytime

m
l
April 12, 2012 5:30:23 PM

and a target price of under $400 at release
m
l
April 12, 2012 6:07:25 PM

Simply put, the controllers need a PS1/2 quality D-pad, 6 face buttons in the sega saturn layout (with xbox 360 button quality), dreamcast quality triggers, PS1 quality L1 and R1 shoulder bumpers, and xbox 360 quality analog sticks.

To me, that would literally make the best controller. Add USB and native windows support and I'll buy 10.
m
l
April 12, 2012 9:19:41 PM

the sticks need to be placed at the same spot like PS. overall size about halfway between PS and xbox. watercooled console :) 
m
l
April 12, 2012 9:28:38 PM

6_5x47lapua said:
the sticks need to be placed at the same spot like PS. overall size about halfway between PS and xbox. watercooled console :) 

I actually like the stick layout on the xbox controller a little more. It angles the thumb up to make the left trigger+left analog feel similar to how the N64 trigger system worked. Sony's analog feels a little out of place, but I think part of that is due to them never rethinking the design beyond the original dualstick. It might be less aggrivating if they would use the same tops as the xbox controller on their analog sticks.
m
l
April 12, 2012 11:42:58 PM

casualcolors said:
I actually like the stick layout on the xbox controller a little more. It angles the thumb up to make the left trigger+left analog feel similar to how the N64 trigger system worked.

personally i prefer the sticks to be low- more relaxed. actually i think i wouldnt mind them up higher either, they just need to be symetrical.
m
l
November 25, 2012 11:17:28 PM

apu s with maybe a minor GPU cross fire config would work awesome as well as cheap to produce with 4-8gb of DDR3 ram .Oh right my laptop has it already and gets 7900 on 3D mark vantage .So its possible to do :D  .AS far as controllers go for fast action gaming l prefer my xbox controller in my PC for this .(dreacast ones hmm) PS3 ONES tho tough bad egros always have been . l would like to see USB 3 on there to for external storage .Maybe mouse and key board via blue tooth ? consoles do offer easy set up gaming for everyday gamer with extra apps
like smart phone even more reason to ignore the rest of your family :p 
but to let u know l have both pc ,laptop and console to game with :pt1cable: 
they all have pros and cons ,say own em all :kaola:  game it to the max !!
l just thing all the game console upgrades are long over due but at least they have
way more parts to choose from now :) 
m
l
November 25, 2012 11:22:09 PM

PS I LIKE AUTO AIM since l was trained for this by the army its seems pretty much automatic when you are doing it for real :) 
m
l
November 26, 2012 7:28:24 PM

They were advertising that the new consoles would have 6 times more graphics processing power. I think it's not that huge jump, really. They will increase the resolution to 1920x1080, which is twice as much as 1280x720, so only 3 times speed is left. Now, considering consoles run games on low settings when compared to PCs, the new consoles with 3 times more power will not run the games higher than high settings. And they will still be stuck at 30 fps.

And remember, that's for current games, not for ones that come out in 2013 or 2014 :) .
m
l
July 11, 2013 1:00:41 AM

Seems like my prediction was fairly accurate if not a little conservative.
m
l
!