New rig for Diablo III?

audiofx

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
I built my current rig back in 2007 and considering building a new one for Diablo III (specs below). I just finished Skyrim and able to play BF3 etc on it with decent FPS.

The next release I'll be playing is Diablo III. Right now, my system already meets the Recommended Requirements.

My 22" monitor is limited to 1680x1050 and that's what I've been playing Skyrim etc on. Should I build a new system if I'm already at the recommended requirements? Diablo III doesn't look to be a real demanding game. Or should I just upgrade my monitor and video to card to play at higher resolutions? Are higher resolutions worth it?

My specs:
Q6600
8 GB RAM
eVGA GTX 260
SATA hard drives

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
D3 isn't looking too demanding, nor is it Blizzard's style to limit a game to a crowd with more hardware than you're already sporting. Their business model revolves around 2 things with every title. The first, is accessibility and the second is alternative revenue.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I'd hold off on buying a graphics card for now with the 7870 due to release tomorrow and Kepler from nvidia due to release some of their cards shortly after.

If you want to buy a new monitor that's up to you, though. Start shopping around and if you're going to buy a monitor, the only accurate information about performance will come from reviews of the monitor by users. The technical specs that they list on newegg/amazon and so on as selling points (2ms response time! 1billion:1 dynamic contrast ratio etc) don't mean jack-all about the actual performance, and most of it borders on outright lying.

jjack339

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
you should be fine for D3. D3 does not have 50 different people in the same map etc so the CPU should be fine, and with its top down nature you should be able to put most of the settings on high, or medium at worst.

A 22" 1680x1050 monitor is just about the perfect size for gaming on a computer (since you are sitting pretty close to the screen anyway) - so upgrading is pretty much a waste (unless you go for 2 more 22" screens and a strong enough card to run the 3 monitors) - I'd just save the money for when the rest of the systems starts to struggle and upgrade the whole thing when the time comes !

audiofx

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
I guess I'll hold off until the next generation of games. Thanks for the suggestions.

It's amazing this system is 5 years old and I've updated the graphics card once. I remember the days when you needed a new system every 1-2 years!

Also the fact that no new generation of Consoles has been released in that time has held back things as well -- since most games are now designed for multiple platforms they have been holding back the PC advances in order to keep the games playable on the consoles !!

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Thats how i feel about my 580 right now. Its only really gets used with bf3, crysis 2 and metro 2033. Every other game it uses like 30-40% of my card I want to upgrade the the 680 when it arrives, but honestly i dont have a good reason too besides that its "new". lol