How non-standard is Compaq?

There is a sale on a new Celeron equipped Compaq in today's newspaper that
interests me. But I have heard that Compaq used to do some pretty
non-standard stuff. Is that still true? For example, if either the disk
drive or monitor were non-standard I would immediately lose interest in this
machine. Some things I could live with, such as a non-standard power supply
or even a mouse. With a bad power supply I would discard the system; and
how bad could it be to buy a new Compaq mouse?

hh

No longer. That was years ago. Presarios are no more proprietary than most
other PCs (Dell, Gateway, etc.) today.
HH

"kevin collins" <kevcollins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There is a sale on a new Celeron equipped Compaq in today's newspaper that
> interests me. But I have heard that Compaq used to do some pretty
> non-standard stuff. Is that still true? For example, if either the disk
> drive or monitor were non-standard I would immediately lose interest in
this
> machine. Some things I could live with, such as a non-standard power
supply
> or even a mouse. With a bad power supply I would discard the system; and
> how bad could it be to buy a new Compaq mouse?

I know the 5000 series were non-standard as hell,I got stuck with a 5423US
that was loaded with proprietary components.Hope they've gotten a lot
better.
"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> No longer. That was years ago. Presarios are no more proprietary than most
> other PCs (Dell, Gateway, etc.) today.
> HH
>
> "kevin collins" <kevcollins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > There is a sale on a new Celeron equipped Compaq in today's newspaper
that
> > interests me. But I have heard that Compaq used to do some pretty
> > non-standard stuff. Is that still true? For example, if either the
disk
> > drive or monitor were non-standard I would immediately lose interest in
> this
> > machine. Some things I could live with, such as a non-standard power
> supply
> > or even a mouse. With a bad power supply I would discard the system;
and
> > how bad could it be to buy a new Compaq mouse?

hh

That series came out 2 1/2 years ago (Jan 2002) Many changes since then. The
only thing proprietary in my S5200CL (Sept 2003) is the front panel
connector to the motherboard. It uses a standard Asus A7N8X-LA motherboard,
standard memory, drives, etc.
HH