Hey, Annie - who is our winner?

From the EQLive website, at
http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=64016 :

"On February 8th a new server will show up on your server selection list.
Zek will host the combined characters of the four current PVP servers
(Rallos, Tallon, Vallon and Sullon) and will use the Rallos Zek ruleset. It
is our opinion that merging the four current PVP servers will revitalize the
PVP environment, adding new challenges and players for you to test your
skills against."

So who won the merge pool?

James
25 answers Last reply
More about annie winner

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:48:17 GMT, "James Grahame"
    <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrotC:DRIVE_E

    > From the EQLive website, at
    >http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=64016 :
    >
    >"On February 8th a new server will show up on your server selection list.
    >Zek will host the combined characters of the four current PVP servers
    >(Rallos, Tallon, Vallon and Sullon) and will use the Rallos Zek ruleset. It
    >is our opinion that merging the four current PVP servers will revitalize the
    >PVP environment, adding new challenges and players for you to test your
    >skills against."

    But remember, boys and girls, EQ2 is "doomed" because it doesn't have
    PVP, which is what "everyone wants".

    Or so claim way too many morons on the official boards.

    Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
    "I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
    once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
    http://www.mrlizard.com

    "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in

    > From the EQLive website, at
    > http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=64016 :
    >
    > "On February 8th a new server will show up on your server selection
    > list. Zek will host the combined characters of the four current PVP
    > servers (Rallos, Tallon, Vallon and Sullon) and will use the Rallos
    > Zek ruleset. It is our opinion that merging the four current PVP
    > servers will revitalize the PVP environment, adding new challenges and
    > players for you to test your skills against."
    >
    > So who won the merge pool?

    Hmm, I think I went for March...

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 23 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage
    Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 14 Craftsman

    Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in

    > On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:48:17 GMT, "James Grahame"
    > <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrotC:DRIVE_E
    >
    >> From the EQLive website, at
    >>http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=64016 :
    >>
    >>"On February 8th a new server will show up on your server selection
    >>list. Zek will host the combined characters of the four current PVP
    >>servers (Rallos, Tallon, Vallon and Sullon) and will use the Rallos
    >>Zek ruleset. It is our opinion that merging the four current PVP
    >>servers will revitalize the PVP environment, adding new challenges and
    >>players for you to test your skills against."
    >>

    > But remember, boys and girls, EQ2 is "doomed" because it doesn't have
    > PVP, which is what "everyone wants".
    >
    > Or so claim way too many morons on the official boards.

    No doubt.

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:48:17 GMT, "James Grahame"
    > <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrotC:DRIVE_E
    >
    > > From the EQLive website, at
    > >http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=64016 :
    > >
    > >"On February 8th a new server will show up on your server selection list.
    > >Zek will host the combined characters of the four current PVP servers
    > >(Rallos, Tallon, Vallon and Sullon) and will use the Rallos Zek ruleset.
    It
    > >is our opinion that merging the four current PVP servers will revitalize
    the
    > >PVP environment, adding new challenges and players for you to test your
    > >skills against."
    > >

    > But remember, boys and girls, EQ2 is "doomed" because it doesn't have
    > PVP, which is what "everyone wants".
    >
    > Or so claim way too many morons on the official boards.

    WoW has (lots of) PvP servers, is developing PvP battlegrounds and a
    playerbase rapidly approaching three times that of EQ2.
    Don't confuse SOE incomepetance (and I just *know* I've spelled that
    incorrectly ><) with market forces.

    --
    Simond
    "I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:39:26 -0000, "Simond"
    <apocalypsecow@spamfilterdeletemeplease.dsl.pipex.net> wrotC:DRIVE_E

    >WoW has (lots of) PvP servers, is developing PvP battlegrounds and a
    >playerbase rapidly approaching three times that of EQ2.
    >Don't confuse SOE incomepetance (and I just *know* I've spelled that
    >incorrectly ><) with market forces.

    Patience.

    Get back to me in a year, and we will compare the population level of
    the PVP and non-PVP servers of WOW.

    > Get back to me in a year, and we will compare the population level of
    > the PVP and non-PVP servers of WOW.

    Remember, this is a Blizzard game we're talking about. Player killing has
    always been a big part of the battle.net culture, so I expect it will
    continue to be popular with the WoW audience for some time.

    As for the consolidation of PvP servers in EQ1, I think it's a reflection of
    two things: the poor implementation of PvP in EverQuest and the overall
    decline in the game's population. I expect to see more server consolidation.

    --
    Redbeard
    <Veritas>

    Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
    <Resolution, Retired>
    Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
    Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

    James Grahame wrote:

    > From the EQLive website, at
    > http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=64016 :
    >
    > "On February 8th a new server will show up on your server selection list.
    > Zek will host the combined characters of the four current PVP servers
    > (Rallos, Tallon, Vallon and Sullon) and will use the Rallos Zek ruleset. It
    > is our opinion that merging the four current PVP servers will revitalize the
    > PVP environment, adding new challenges and players for you to test your
    > skills against."
    >
    > So who won the merge pool?
    >
    > James

    Via the magic of Google, here is the last list that I had compiled.

    Oneiromancer............... March 15, 2005

    Graeme Faelban............. March 20, 2005

    Simond..................... April 13, 2005

    James Grahame.............. May 22, 2005

    Kaev....................... June 5, 2005

    Sugarman................... July 1, 2005

    Rumbledor.................. August 19, 2005

    Pamela Carlton............. October 10, 2005

    Crash86.................... November 1, 2005

    Lance Berg................. November 8, 2005

    Celaeno.................... April 1, 2006

    Don Woods.................. April 30, 2006

    Annie Benson-Lennaman...... May 16, 2006

    Tyas....................... January 14, 2007

    Mary Poppins............... Never

    So it looks to me that our winner is... the person that took the
    very earliest date! Oneiromancer, who was off by a mere 35 days, if I
    counted right. Please note that I have turned on the applause sign, and
    respond accordingly. /em clap clap clap! Oneiromancer, please watch
    your mailbox for the delivery of the imaginary VW flower painted van
    with the decent radio, as I will be shipping promptly and I'd imagine
    that you'll have to sign for it or something.

    But you know what? That wasn't as, I dunno, as satisfying at it
    could be. Truth be told, when I thought of this pool, I didn't even
    think about the Zeks. Oh, even if I had, I would have still picked far
    too late a date. But these have always been low population servers, and
    frankly they probably could have been merged long before WoW and EQII
    came along.

    So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the
    pool open for the first merger of the normal rules servers, and Firiona
    Vie. That's right kids, I will send off _another_ imaginary VW Flower
    painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the
    next server merger. And this one has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool
    black light poster of Led Zeppelin taped to roof, so that you can lay on
    the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.

    And I'll accept new entrants as well, and allow the old ones to
    change their dates as well. In the spirit of fairness I will keep my
    old date. And remember, by the rules of the contest everyone must have
    a unique date.

    If there are any updates, I will post the updated list in a new
    thread.

    --
    Annie

    AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
    http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

    Mirrored at:
    http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

    http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 01:14:55 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman
    <teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com> wrote:

    >James Grahame wrote:
    >>

    > So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the
    >pool open for the first merger of the normal rules servers, and Firiona
    >Vie. That's right kids, I will send off _another_ imaginary VW Flower
    >painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the
    >next server merger. And this one has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool
    >black light poster of Led Zeppelin taped to roof, so that you can lay on
    >the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.
    >
    > And I'll accept new entrants as well, and allow the old ones to
    >change their dates as well. In the spirit of fairness I will keep my
    >old date. And remember, by the rules of the contest everyone must have
    >a unique date.
    >
    > If there are any updates, I will post the updated list in a new
    >thread.

    I'm in for August 1, 2005

    --
    Elder Lizsolo Spiritmaster - 66 Beastlord
    Baron Darkensolo - 65 Cleric

    A: Top Posters
    Q: What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 01:14:55 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman wrote:

> [...]
    > came along.
    >
    > So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the
    > pool open for the first merger of the normal rules servers, and Firiona
    > Vie. That's right kids, I will send off _another_ imaginary VW Flower
    > painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the
    > next server merger. And this one has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool
    > black light poster of Led Zeppelin taped to roof, so that you can lay on
    > the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.
    >
    > And I'll accept new entrants as well, and allow the old ones to
    > change their dates as well. In the spirit of fairness I will keep my
    > old date. And remember, by the rules of the contest everyone must have
    > a unique date.
    >
    > If there are any updates, I will post the updated list in a new

    Put me in for May 25th (my anniversary and leave it to SOE to screw up a
    holiday weekend).
    --
    RJB
    2/2/2005 11:43:51 AM

    Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive,
    mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.
    -Gene Spafford

    RJB wrote:

    > Put me in for May 25th (my anniversary and leave it to SOE to screw up a
    > holiday weekend).

    Of 2005?

    --

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:01:33 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman wrote:

    > RJB wrote:
    >
    >> Put me in for May 25th (my anniversary and leave it to SOE to screw up a
    >> holiday weekend).
    >
    > Of 2005?

    Yes, your presumption in replying to Dan sounds good.
    --
    RJB
    2/2/2005 1:30:43 PM

    I've always thought that underpopulated countries in Africa are vastly
    underpolluted.
    -Lawrence Summers, chief economist of the World Bank, explaining why we
    should export toxic wastes to Third World countries

    Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in

    > On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:39:26 -0000, "Simond"
    > <apocalypsecow@spamfilterdeletemeplease.dsl.pipex.net> wrotC:DRIVE_E
    >
    >>WoW has (lots of) PvP servers, is developing PvP battlegrounds and a
    >>playerbase rapidly approaching three times that of EQ2.
    >>Don't confuse SOE incomepetance (and I just *know* I've spelled that
    >>incorrectly ><) with market forces.
    >
    > Patience.
    >
    > Get back to me in a year, and we will compare the population level of
    > the PVP and non-PVP servers of WOW.
    > *----------------------------------------------------*
    > Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
    > "I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
    > once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
    > http://www.mrlizard.com

    Actually, long term numbers in WoW will be interesting period.

    The number of copies sold indicates a large number of people who
    didn't previously play MMORPGs are playing, and we don't know yet
    whether they will be in it for the long haul. I would guess that
    the popularity of the PvP servers comes from folks who played
    multi-player Diablo and Warcraft, and think the only way to get
    something similar is on a PvP server. With battlegrounds coming
    and consensual PvP, the PvE ruleset servers may appeal to more
    folks after some experience with un-restricted PvP in a MMORPG
    environment.

    --
    Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
    Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw

    Mairelon, 15th Paladin
    Silverhand

    My WoW Mods: http://therealorang.com
    Yes, FlexBar 1.24 is out :)

    Hello RJB,

    >> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 01:14:55 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman wrote:
    <<snip>>
    >>So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the pool
    open for the first merger of the
    >>normal rules servers, and Firiona Vie. That's right kids, I will send off
    _another_ imaginary VW Flower
    >>painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the next
    server merger. And this one
    >>has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool black light poster of Led Zeppelin
    taped to roof, so that you can lay
    >>on the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.
    >>
    >>And I'll accept new entrants as well, and allow the old ones to change
    their dates as well. In the spirit of
    >>fairness I will keep my old date. And remember, by the rules of the contest
    everyone must have a unique
    >>date.
    >

    >> James Grahame wrote:
    <<snip>>
    > Put me in for May 25th (my anniversary and leave it to SOE to screw up
    > a holiday weekend).

    Put me down for april 1st, the day before my wedding!

    It would be typical that they gave me some choice whilst i was away on my
    honeymoon and i come back on a completely different server :)

    Dan Russell wrote:

    > Put me down for april 1st, the day before my wedding!

    Ok... I think I'm gonna make it an official rule that no year
    mentioned = 2005 unless the date has already passed, then it means
    2006. Of course, I can always correct later if this isn't right.

    --

    "Annie Benson Lennaman" <teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com> wrote in
    message news:42007DEF.EBD5ECC9@real.people.only.yahoo.com...
    > James Grahame wrote:
    >>
    >> So who won the merge pool?
    >
    > Via the magic of Google, here is the last list that I had compiled.
    >

    > Oneiromancer............... March 15, 2005
    >
    > Graeme Faelban............. March 20, 2005
    >
    > Simond..................... April 13, 2005
    >
    > James Grahame.............. May 22, 2005

    Drat! I have to settle for fourth!

    > So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the
    > pool open for the first merger of the normal rules servers, and Firiona
    > Vie. That's right kids, I will send off _another_ imaginary VW Flower
    > painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the
    > next server merger. And this one has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool
    > black light poster of Led Zeppelin taped to roof, so that you can lay on
    > the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.
    >
    > And I'll accept new entrants as well, and allow the old ones to
    > change their dates as well. In the spirit of fairness I will keep my
    > old date. And remember, by the rules of the contest everyone must have
    > a unique date.
    >
    > If there are any updates, I will post the updated list in a new
    > thread.

    Question: are you including European servers in your list of "normal"
    servers? Kane Bayle looks like it'll be folded into another server very
    soon, and I wouldn't want that to throw off the pool.

    By the way - Quellious down to 35% of accounts cancelled since WoW
    release, but the numbers have been very steady the past week or two. Looks
    like the bleeding is about done.

    James

    Dan Russell <daniel.russell@logicacmg.com> writes:
    > Put me down for april 1st, the day before my wedding!

    Tsk! You missed by a day! (I got married on April 1st. I even
    got to say "April Fools!" as part of the ceremony. :-)

    -- Don.

    -- Sukrasisx, Monk 51 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
    -- Terrwini, Druid 44 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
    -- http://www.iCynic.com/~don

    "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> writes:

    > By the way - Quellious down to 35% of accounts cancelled since WoW
    > release, but the numbers have been very steady the past week or two. Looks
    > like the bleeding is about done.

    Where do you get that number from? Statistical sampling of
    guilds/message boards? Feeding pies to the GMs? Hacking into the
    server database? Inquiring minds want to know!

    "Lizard" > Patience.

    > Get back to me in a year, and we will compare the population level of
    > the PVP and non-PVP servers of WOW.
    > *----------------------------------------------------*
    > Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard

    Already happening. Many people are rerolling on the non pvp servers already.
    Makes sense, it has been over 6 years since UO first came out. Many people
    thus would have no idea how annoying constant griefing pvpers can be.

    I really like how wow throws you some pvp curves . I have already ganked
    several horde , and just know they where doing something they werent
    supposed to be :) (In wow attacking the opposing forces npcs flags you as
    pvp for like 5 minutes and thus opens you up to anyone on the opposite side
    who wants to flag himself for 5 minutes to kill you , also just walking into
    some zones flags you; I recently had a nice running battle with a horde
    warrior and hunter after investigating the undercity )

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 01:14:55 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman
    <teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com> wrote:

    > So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the
    >pool open for the first merger of the normal rules servers, and Firiona
    >Vie. That's right kids, I will send off _another_ imaginary VW Flower
    >painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the
    >next server merger. And this one has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool
    >black light poster of Led Zeppelin taped to roof, so that you can lay on
    >the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.

    Well, that was sooner than I had thought.

    Tell ya what, I'll keep my original pick of July 1st, 2005. I wasn't
    really thinking of the Zeks much when I made the pick either, so I'll
    stand by it.

    --sugarman--

    Did you say something, Annie Benson Lennaman
    <teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com>?

    > So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the
    >pool open for the first merger of the normal rules servers, and Firiona
    >Vie. That's right kids, I will send off _another_ imaginary VW Flower
    >painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the
    >next server merger. And this one has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool
    >black light poster of Led Zeppelin taped to roof, so that you can lay on
    >the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.
    >
    > And I'll accept new entrants as well, and allow the old ones to
    >change their dates as well. In the spirit of fairness I will keep my
    >old date. And remember, by the rules of the contest everyone must have
    >a unique date.

    April 1 this year seems a bit too early for a regularmerger, so I am
    sticking with my old vote :)

    Cel
    Retired druids & sundry

    <patrik@nordebo.com> wrote in message
    > "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> writes:
    >
    >> By the way - Quellious down to 35% of accounts cancelled since WoW
    >> release, but the numbers have been very steady the past week or two.
    >> Looks
    >> like the bleeding is about done.
    >
    > Where do you get that number from? Statistical sampling of
    > guilds/message boards? Feeding pies to the GMs? Hacking into the
    > server database? Inquiring minds want to know!

    Back before WoW was released, my enchanter (never been in an LDoN
    adventure) was 10800th in the LDoN rankings. That means there were 10800
    characters on the server that had won at least one LDoN adventure. Today,
    she is about 6960th. One fact and two assumptions get you my number:

    Fact: characters are removed from the LDoN rankings if the account they're
    on is cancelled, or if they move to another server.
    Assumption 1: accounts that are cancelled are neither more nor less likely
    to have used LDoN than an account that is not cancelled.
    Assumption 2: the ratio of cancelled accounts to non-cancelled accounts is
    similar between those who used LDoN and those who have never used LDoN.

    James

    In article <j9uMd.99245$Ob.19101@edtnps84>, jamesgrahame@shaw.ca says...

    > <patrik@nordebo.com> wrote in message
    > > "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> writes:
    > >
    > >> By the way - Quellious down to 35% of accounts cancelled since WoW
    > >> release, but the numbers have been very steady the past week or two.
    > >> Looks
    > >> like the bleeding is about done.
    > >
    > > Where do you get that number from? Statistical sampling of
    > > guilds/message boards? Feeding pies to the GMs? Hacking into the
    > > server database? Inquiring minds want to know!
    >
    > Back before WoW was released, my enchanter (never been in an LDoN
    > adventure) was 10800th in the LDoN rankings. That means there were 10800
    > characters on the server that had won at least one LDoN adventure. Today,
    > she is about 6960th. One fact and two assumptions get you my number:
    >
    > Fact: characters are removed from the LDoN rankings if the account they're
    > on is cancelled, or if they move to another server.
    > Assumption 1: accounts that are cancelled are neither more nor less likely
    > to have used LDoN than an account that is not cancelled.
    > Assumption 2: the ratio of cancelled accounts to non-cancelled accounts is
    > similar between those who used LDoN and those who have never used LDoN.

    That jives with my numbers. I noted a character I wasn't ldoning much
    with went from around 1000th place in lguk to around 700th without doing
    any dungeons. Indicating that around 30% fewer players who had done more
    than a dozen lguks were in the game.

    And these 30%/35% drop rates don't account for the number of dormant
    accounts. Those that are prepaid 6 months or a year but for which the
    player isn't logging in any more... or even those on monthly that the
    dormant player just hasn't had the surety of itent to actually cancel
    yet.

    Bazaar and PoK population numbers are down around 50%, in my estimation.
    Suggesting an increase in dormant active accounts as high as 15-20%.

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:43:38 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >And these 30%/35% drop rates don't account for the number of dormant
    >accounts. Those that are prepaid 6 months or a year but for which the
    >player isn't logging in any more... or even those on monthly that the
    >dormant player just hasn't had the surety of itent to actually cancel
    >yet.

    Or former EQ players that switched to EQ2 but will keep active
    accounts due to the all-access pass (or whatever it's called).

    The 50% figure would jive with what I saw with my shaman when I logged
    him on for the last time right after christmas. ... but that was the
    holidays which often tend to be a bit slower than normal.

    Rgds, Frank

    42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    ] Bazaar and PoK population numbers are down around 50%, in my estimation.
    ] Suggesting an increase in dormant active accounts as high as 15-20%.

    I've noticed this on Stromm. Back in June, when I first logged on,
    any trip to POK caused lots of lag. Over 150, sometimes over 200
    toons there. Now I rarely get lagged there, and most times I stop by
    the number of toons is below 75. Rarely over 100.

    JimP.
    --
    djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
    http://wargame.drivein-jim.net/ WoW blog Jan 28, 2005

    My bet for first non-special-server (i.e. not FV or any of the Bayles) will
    be...July 11th.
    My birthday.

    Hey, it's just as good logic & reasoning as SOE seems to be using nowadays, =p

    --
    Simond
    "I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your
    slave." - Jareth the Goblin King, Labyrinth

Games Servers Video Games