Hey, Annie - who is our winner?

From the EQLive website, at
http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=64016 :

"On February 8th a new server will show up on your server selection list.
Zek will host the combined characters of the four current PVP servers
(Rallos, Tallon, Vallon and Sullon) and will use the Rallos Zek ruleset. It
is our opinion that merging the four current PVP servers will revitalize the
PVP environment, adding new challenges and players for you to test your
skills against."

So who won the merge pool?

James

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:48:17 GMT, "James Grahame"
<jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrotC:DRIVE_E

> From the EQLive website, at
>http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=64016 :
>
>"On February 8th a new server will show up on your server selection list.
>Zek will host the combined characters of the four current PVP servers
>(Rallos, Tallon, Vallon and Sullon) and will use the Rallos Zek ruleset. It
>is our opinion that merging the four current PVP servers will revitalize the
>PVP environment, adding new challenges and players for you to test your
>skills against."

But remember, boys and girls, EQ2 is "doomed" because it doesn't have
PVP, which is what "everyone wants".

Or so claim way too many morons on the official boards.

Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com

"James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in

> From the EQLive website, at
> http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=64016 :
>
> "On February 8th a new server will show up on your server selection
> list. Zek will host the combined characters of the four current PVP
> servers (Rallos, Tallon, Vallon and Sullon) and will use the Rallos
> Zek ruleset. It is our opinion that merging the four current PVP
> servers will revitalize the PVP environment, adding new challenges and
> players for you to test your skills against."
>
> So who won the merge pool?

Hmm, I think I went for March...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 23 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage
Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 14 Craftsman

Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:48:17 GMT, "James Grahame"
> <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrotC:DRIVE_E
>
>> From the EQLive website, at
>>http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=64016 :
>>
>>"On February 8th a new server will show up on your server selection
>>list. Zek will host the combined characters of the four current PVP
>>servers (Rallos, Tallon, Vallon and Sullon) and will use the Rallos
>>Zek ruleset. It is our opinion that merging the four current PVP
>>servers will revitalize the PVP environment, adding new challenges and
>>players for you to test your skills against."
>>

> But remember, boys and girls, EQ2 is "doomed" because it doesn't have
> PVP, which is what "everyone wants".
>
> Or so claim way too many morons on the official boards.

No doubt.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

"Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:48:17 GMT, "James Grahame"
> <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrotC:DRIVE_E
>
> > From the EQLive website, at
> >http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=64016 :
> >
> >"On February 8th a new server will show up on your server selection list.
> >Zek will host the combined characters of the four current PVP servers
> >(Rallos, Tallon, Vallon and Sullon) and will use the Rallos Zek ruleset.
It
> >is our opinion that merging the four current PVP servers will revitalize
the
> >PVP environment, adding new challenges and players for you to test your
> >skills against."
> >

> But remember, boys and girls, EQ2 is "doomed" because it doesn't have
> PVP, which is what "everyone wants".
>
> Or so claim way too many morons on the official boards.

WoW has (lots of) PvP servers, is developing PvP battlegrounds and a
playerbase rapidly approaching three times that of EQ2.
Don't confuse SOE incomepetance (and I just *know* I've spelled that
incorrectly ><) with market forces.

--
Simond
"I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:39:26 -0000, "Simond"
<apocalypsecow@spamfilterdeletemeplease.dsl.pipex.net> wrotC:DRIVE_E

>WoW has (lots of) PvP servers, is developing PvP battlegrounds and a
>playerbase rapidly approaching three times that of EQ2.
>Don't confuse SOE incomepetance (and I just *know* I've spelled that
>incorrectly ><) with market forces.

Patience.

Get back to me in a year, and we will compare the population level of
the PVP and non-PVP servers of WOW.

> Get back to me in a year, and we will compare the population level of
> the PVP and non-PVP servers of WOW.

Remember, this is a Blizzard game we're talking about. Player killing has
always been a big part of the battle.net culture, so I expect it will
continue to be popular with the WoW audience for some time.

As for the consolidation of PvP servers in EQ1, I think it's a reflection of
two things: the poor implementation of PvP in EverQuest and the overall
decline in the game's population. I expect to see more server consolidation.

--
Redbeard
<Veritas>

Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
<Resolution, Retired>
Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

James Grahame wrote:

> From the EQLive website, at
> http://eqlive.station.sony.com/community/dev_view.jsp?id=64016 :
>
> "On February 8th a new server will show up on your server selection list.
> Zek will host the combined characters of the four current PVP servers
> (Rallos, Tallon, Vallon and Sullon) and will use the Rallos Zek ruleset. It
> is our opinion that merging the four current PVP servers will revitalize the
> PVP environment, adding new challenges and players for you to test your
> skills against."
>
> So who won the merge pool?
>
> James

Via the magic of Google, here is the last list that I had compiled.

Oneiromancer............... March 15, 2005

Graeme Faelban............. March 20, 2005

Simond..................... April 13, 2005

James Grahame.............. May 22, 2005

Kaev....................... June 5, 2005

Sugarman................... July 1, 2005

Rumbledor.................. August 19, 2005

Pamela Carlton............. October 10, 2005

Crash86.................... November 1, 2005

Lance Berg................. November 8, 2005

Celaeno.................... April 1, 2006

Don Woods.................. April 30, 2006

Annie Benson-Lennaman...... May 16, 2006

Tyas....................... January 14, 2007

Mary Poppins............... Never

So it looks to me that our winner is... the person that took the
very earliest date! Oneiromancer, who was off by a mere 35 days, if I
counted right. Please note that I have turned on the applause sign, and
respond accordingly. /em clap clap clap! Oneiromancer, please watch
your mailbox for the delivery of the imaginary VW flower painted van
with the decent radio, as I will be shipping promptly and I'd imagine
that you'll have to sign for it or something.

But you know what? That wasn't as, I dunno, as satisfying at it
could be. Truth be told, when I thought of this pool, I didn't even
think about the Zeks. Oh, even if I had, I would have still picked far
too late a date. But these have always been low population servers, and
frankly they probably could have been merged long before WoW and EQII
came along.

So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the
pool open for the first merger of the normal rules servers, and Firiona
Vie. That's right kids, I will send off _another_ imaginary VW Flower
painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the
next server merger. And this one has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool
black light poster of Led Zeppelin taped to roof, so that you can lay on
the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.

And I'll accept new entrants as well, and allow the old ones to
change their dates as well. In the spirit of fairness I will keep my
old date. And remember, by the rules of the contest everyone must have
a unique date.

If there are any updates, I will post the updated list in a new
thread.

--
Annie

AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

Mirrored at:
http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 01:14:55 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman
<teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com> wrote:

>James Grahame wrote:
>>

> So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the
>pool open for the first merger of the normal rules servers, and Firiona
>Vie. That's right kids, I will send off _another_ imaginary VW Flower
>painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the
>next server merger. And this one has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool
>black light poster of Led Zeppelin taped to roof, so that you can lay on
>the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.
>
> And I'll accept new entrants as well, and allow the old ones to
>change their dates as well. In the spirit of fairness I will keep my
>old date. And remember, by the rules of the contest everyone must have
>a unique date.
>
> If there are any updates, I will post the updated list in a new
>thread.

I'm in for August 1, 2005

--
Elder Lizsolo Spiritmaster - 66 Beastlord
Baron Darkensolo - 65 Cleric

A: Top Posters
Q: What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 01:14:55 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman wrote:

> [...]
> came along.
>
> So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the
> pool open for the first merger of the normal rules servers, and Firiona
> Vie. That's right kids, I will send off _another_ imaginary VW Flower
> painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the
> next server merger. And this one has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool
> black light poster of Led Zeppelin taped to roof, so that you can lay on
> the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.
>
> And I'll accept new entrants as well, and allow the old ones to
> change their dates as well. In the spirit of fairness I will keep my
> old date. And remember, by the rules of the contest everyone must have
> a unique date.
>
> If there are any updates, I will post the updated list in a new

Put me in for May 25th (my anniversary and leave it to SOE to screw up a
holiday weekend).
--
RJB
2/2/2005 11:43:51 AM

Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive,
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.
-Gene Spafford

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:01:33 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman wrote:

> RJB wrote:
>
>> Put me in for May 25th (my anniversary and leave it to SOE to screw up a
>> holiday weekend).
>
> Of 2005?

Yes, your presumption in replying to Dan sounds good.
--
RJB
2/2/2005 1:30:43 PM

I've always thought that underpopulated countries in Africa are vastly
underpolluted.
-Lawrence Summers, chief economist of the World Bank, explaining why we
should export toxic wastes to Third World countries

Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:39:26 -0000, "Simond"
> <apocalypsecow@spamfilterdeletemeplease.dsl.pipex.net> wrotC:DRIVE_E
>
>>WoW has (lots of) PvP servers, is developing PvP battlegrounds and a
>>playerbase rapidly approaching three times that of EQ2.
>>Don't confuse SOE incomepetance (and I just *know* I've spelled that
>>incorrectly ><) with market forces.
>
> Patience.
>
> Get back to me in a year, and we will compare the population level of
> the PVP and non-PVP servers of WOW.
> *----------------------------------------------------*
> Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
> "I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
> once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
> http://www.mrlizard.com

Actually, long term numbers in WoW will be interesting period.

The number of copies sold indicates a large number of people who
didn't previously play MMORPGs are playing, and we don't know yet
whether they will be in it for the long haul. I would guess that
the popularity of the PvP servers comes from folks who played
multi-player Diablo and Warcraft, and think the only way to get
something similar is on a PvP server. With battlegrounds coming
and consensual PvP, the PvE ruleset servers may appeal to more
folks after some experience with un-restricted PvP in a MMORPG
environment.

--
Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw

Mairelon, 15th Paladin
Silverhand

My WoW Mods: http://therealorang.com
Yes, FlexBar 1.24 is out :)

Hello RJB,

>> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 01:14:55 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman wrote:
<<snip>>
>>So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the pool
open for the first merger of the
>>normal rules servers, and Firiona Vie. That's right kids, I will send off
_another_ imaginary VW Flower
>>painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the next
server merger. And this one
>>has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool black light poster of Led Zeppelin
taped to roof, so that you can lay
>>on the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.
>>
>>And I'll accept new entrants as well, and allow the old ones to change
their dates as well. In the spirit of
>>fairness I will keep my old date. And remember, by the rules of the contest
everyone must have a unique
>>date.
>

>> James Grahame wrote:
<<snip>>
> Put me in for May 25th (my anniversary and leave it to SOE to screw up
> a holiday weekend).

Put me down for april 1st, the day before my wedding!

It would be typical that they gave me some choice whilst i was away on my
honeymoon and i come back on a completely different server :)

"Annie Benson Lennaman" <teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:42007DEF.EBD5ECC9@real.people.only.yahoo.com...
> James Grahame wrote:
>>
>> So who won the merge pool?
>
> Via the magic of Google, here is the last list that I had compiled.
>

> Oneiromancer............... March 15, 2005
>
> Graeme Faelban............. March 20, 2005
>
> Simond..................... April 13, 2005
>
> James Grahame.............. May 22, 2005

Drat! I have to settle for fourth!

> So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the
> pool open for the first merger of the normal rules servers, and Firiona
> Vie. That's right kids, I will send off _another_ imaginary VW Flower
> painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the
> next server merger. And this one has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool
> black light poster of Led Zeppelin taped to roof, so that you can lay on
> the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.
>
> And I'll accept new entrants as well, and allow the old ones to
> change their dates as well. In the spirit of fairness I will keep my
> old date. And remember, by the rules of the contest everyone must have
> a unique date.
>
> If there are any updates, I will post the updated list in a new
> thread.

Question: are you including European servers in your list of "normal"
servers? Kane Bayle looks like it'll be folded into another server very
soon, and I wouldn't want that to throw off the pool.

By the way - Quellious down to 35% of accounts cancelled since WoW
release, but the numbers have been very steady the past week or two. Looks
like the bleeding is about done.

James

Dan Russell <daniel.russell@logicacmg.com> writes:
> Put me down for april 1st, the day before my wedding!

Tsk! You missed by a day! (I got married on April 1st. I even
got to say "April Fools!" as part of the ceremony. :)

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 51 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 44 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don

Patrik

"James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> writes:

> By the way - Quellious down to 35% of accounts cancelled since WoW
> release, but the numbers have been very steady the past week or two. Looks
> like the bleeding is about done.

Where do you get that number from? Statistical sampling of
guilds/message boards? Feeding pies to the GMs? Hacking into the
server database? Inquiring minds want to know!

"Lizard" > Patience.

> Get back to me in a year, and we will compare the population level of
> the PVP and non-PVP servers of WOW.
> *----------------------------------------------------*
> Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard

Already happening. Many people are rerolling on the non pvp servers already.
Makes sense, it has been over 6 years since UO first came out. Many people
thus would have no idea how annoying constant griefing pvpers can be.

I really like how wow throws you some pvp curves . I have already ganked
several horde , and just know they where doing something they werent
supposed to be :) (In wow attacking the opposing forces npcs flags you as
pvp for like 5 minutes and thus opens you up to anyone on the opposite side
who wants to flag himself for 5 minutes to kill you , also just walking into
some zones flags you; I recently had a nice running battle with a horde
warrior and hunter after investigating the undercity )

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 01:14:55 -0600, Annie Benson Lennaman
<teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com> wrote:

> So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the
>pool open for the first merger of the normal rules servers, and Firiona
>Vie. That's right kids, I will send off _another_ imaginary VW Flower
>painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the
>next server merger. And this one has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool
>black light poster of Led Zeppelin taped to roof, so that you can lay on
>the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.

Well, that was sooner than I had thought.

Tell ya what, I'll keep my original pick of July 1st, 2005. I wasn't
really thinking of the Zeks much when I made the pick either, so I'll
stand by it.

--sugarman--

Did you say something, Annie Benson Lennaman
<teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com>?

> So, in the spirit of "But I want a do over!", I'm going to keep the
>pool open for the first merger of the normal rules servers, and Firiona
>Vie. That's right kids, I will send off _another_ imaginary VW Flower
>painted van to the person who is closest to guessing the date of the
>next server merger. And this one has, oh, I dunno... how about a cool
>black light poster of Led Zeppelin taped to roof, so that you can lay on
>the shag rug and stare at it and just dig it all.
>
> And I'll accept new entrants as well, and allow the old ones to
>change their dates as well. In the spirit of fairness I will keep my
>old date. And remember, by the rules of the contest everyone must have
>a unique date.

April 1 this year seems a bit too early for a regularmerger, so I am
sticking with my old vote :)

Cel
Retired druids & sundry

<patrik@nordebo.com> wrote in message
> "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> writes:
>
>> By the way - Quellious down to 35% of accounts cancelled since WoW
>> release, but the numbers have been very steady the past week or two.
>> Looks
>> like the bleeding is about done.
>
> Where do you get that number from? Statistical sampling of
> guilds/message boards? Feeding pies to the GMs? Hacking into the
> server database? Inquiring minds want to know!

Back before WoW was released, my enchanter (never been in an LDoN
adventure) was 10800th in the LDoN rankings. That means there were 10800
characters on the server that had won at least one LDoN adventure. Today,
she is about 6960th. One fact and two assumptions get you my number:

Fact: characters are removed from the LDoN rankings if the account they're
on is cancelled, or if they move to another server.
Assumption 1: accounts that are cancelled are neither more nor less likely
to have used LDoN than an account that is not cancelled.
Assumption 2: the ratio of cancelled accounts to non-cancelled accounts is
similar between those who used LDoN and those who have never used LDoN.

James

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <j9uMd.99245$Ob.19101@edtnps84>, jamesgrahame@shaw.ca says...

> <patrik@nordebo.com> wrote in message
> > "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> writes:
> >
> >> By the way - Quellious down to 35% of accounts cancelled since WoW
> >> release, but the numbers have been very steady the past week or two.
> >> Looks
> >> like the bleeding is about done.
> >
> > Where do you get that number from? Statistical sampling of
> > guilds/message boards? Feeding pies to the GMs? Hacking into the
> > server database? Inquiring minds want to know!
>
> Back before WoW was released, my enchanter (never been in an LDoN
> adventure) was 10800th in the LDoN rankings. That means there were 10800
> characters on the server that had won at least one LDoN adventure. Today,
> she is about 6960th. One fact and two assumptions get you my number:
>
> Fact: characters are removed from the LDoN rankings if the account they're
> on is cancelled, or if they move to another server.
> Assumption 1: accounts that are cancelled are neither more nor less likely
> to have used LDoN than an account that is not cancelled.
> Assumption 2: the ratio of cancelled accounts to non-cancelled accounts is
> similar between those who used LDoN and those who have never used LDoN.

That jives with my numbers. I noted a character I wasn't ldoning much
with went from around 1000th place in lguk to around 700th without doing
any dungeons. Indicating that around 30% fewer players who had done more
than a dozen lguks were in the game.

And these 30%/35% drop rates don't account for the number of dormant
accounts. Those that are prepaid 6 months or a year but for which the
player isn't logging in any more... or even those on monthly that the
dormant player just hasn't had the surety of itent to actually cancel
yet.

Bazaar and PoK population numbers are down around 50%, in my estimation.
Suggesting an increase in dormant active accounts as high as 15-20%.

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:43:38 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>And these 30%/35% drop rates don't account for the number of dormant
>accounts. Those that are prepaid 6 months or a year but for which the
>player isn't logging in any more... or even those on monthly that the
>dormant player just hasn't had the surety of itent to actually cancel
>yet.

Or former EQ players that switched to EQ2 but will keep active
accounts due to the all-access pass (or whatever it's called).

The 50% figure would jive with what I saw with my shaman when I logged
him on for the last time right after christmas. ... but that was the
holidays which often tend to be a bit slower than normal.

Rgds, Frank

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
] Bazaar and PoK population numbers are down around 50%, in my estimation.
] Suggesting an increase in dormant active accounts as high as 15-20%.

I've noticed this on Stromm. Back in June, when I first logged on,
any trip to POK caused lots of lag. Over 150, sometimes over 200
toons there. Now I rarely get lagged there, and most times I stop by
the number of toons is below 75. Rarely over 100.

JimP.
--
djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
http://wargame.drivein-jim.net/ WoW blog Jan 28, 2005