Solved

Gaming computer, hardware suggestions?

I'm extremely new at learning abou the inside of my computer and so forth. I've been wanting to build a gaming computer for a while, but don't know what to get for the best price that suits my needs. So if anyone could help I would appreciate it. Here's what I would like my custom gaming computer to be able to do:

-play Skyrim on med-high
-play Starcraft 2 on ultra
-be <$1000

I was looking up what I needed but could barely find any info. I know I should have about 6-8gb ram, a good video card, and that's about it. I don't know what CPU I need, although I was thinking either and i5 or i7 (I don't know too much about AMD). I don't know anything about motherboards or the case or anything else so any suggestions on what hardware is best suited for my needs would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I am sorry if this is in the wrong section.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming computer hardware suggestions
  1. Bump
  2. Best answer
    I actually posted this setup in another thread today, but it's applicable here as well:

case - Coolermaster Haf 912 - 49.99
    cpu - i5-2500k - 200.00 after mib
    gpu - gtx 560ti from newegg - 210.00 after mib
    mobo - asrock extreme 3 gen.3 -120.00
    ram - any 1600mhz ddr3 8gb kit - 40-50.00
    hd - any 1tb 7200 rpm - 110.00
    psu - corsair tx650 or similar seasonic/enermax - 89.99
    windows 7 64bit home premium-99.99

929.97 add tax. Better components, money spent in the right places.

If you already have things you can salvage (like a 7200 rpm 1tb hd) then that is money that can be saved and put into better graphics cards. The i5-2500k performs as well as anything else within reason in gaming and is the reigning king for the time being in price vs. performance, and performance in general to a large degree.
  3. casualcolors said:
    I actually posted this setup in another thread today, but it's applicable here as well:

case - Coolermaster Haf 912 - 49.99
    cpu - i5-2500k - 200.00 after mib
    gpu - gtx 560ti from newegg - 210.00 after mib
    mobo - asrock extreme 3 gen.3 -120.00
    ram - any 1600mhz ddr3 8gb kit - 40-50.00
    hd - any 1tb 7200 rpm - 110.00
    psu - corsair tx650 or similar seasonic/enermax - 89.99
    windows 7 64bit home premium-99.99

929.97 add tax. Better components, money spent in the right places.

If you already have things you can salvage (like a 7200 rpm 1tb hd) then that is money that can be saved and put into better graphics cards. The i5-2500k performs as well as anything else within reason in gaming and is the reigning king for the time being in price vs. performance, and performance in general to a large degree.

I completly agree with the choice of these parts. I would maybe try to squeeze in a SSD since they are becoming cheaper and it does make a HUGE difference in every day tasks and gaming load time.
  4. xxyougotownedzz said:
    I completly agree with the choice of these parts. I would maybe try to squeeze in a SSD since they are becoming cheaper and it does make a HUGE difference in every day tasks and gaming load time.

Tough to get one with reasonable enough size to hold 1 large game + the OS, but it is definitely the next thing I would add to the list. Wouldn't recommend anything less than 120gb though, in case OP is noting any of this. Good call though.
  5. Best answer selected by jake323021.
  6. Thanks guys. Helps me a ton and I appreciate it.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Gaming Computers Video Games Product