Fan Noise

G

I just bought a discount computer with an Amd Athlon 700 processor. The fan noise is very irritating and much louder than any previous computers i have ever been around. There seems to be two small fans attached to the cpu along with a larger fan in the case. The two small fans are the ones that seem to be making the most noise; are they really necessary? should i buy a new cooling system and take out all these fans? please advise, thanks
pete

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
hell no! Whatever you do do not take out those fans! you wil fry your AMD chip...... you can go to the guy you bought it from and ask for a quiter cooler though. Or if you want to do it yourself, pick up a nice heatsink and fan from www.coolerguys.com

G

You can do a couple of things, spend 10 bucks and get a better fan (manufactured better than cheap OEM part) or get creative. Rubber washers will remove 90% of that noise! I have used rubber o-rings (like from a faucet) and they work alright. Put the washer between the fan and the case and don't overly tighten it (the fan shouldn't touch the case).

As to whether the fans are necessary... ? I don't know. Shut them off and see if the board crashes (LOL). Hopefully someone else has a similar system and can answer that.
Duck

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In my case (same two fans), I stopped the loud one, and put huge power supply fan over the CPU hit sink to blow onto it from the top. It is much quieter than the small ones, but blows whole buncha lot more better bigger valume of air through it.

its not too late yet... :smile:

G

Here are all the options I'm aware of: You could try to identify the CPU fans and try to replace them with quiter ones. You could replace the heatsink/fans with a new combo that you know is relatively quiet. You could set up the system to lower the fan speeds. I think this *may* be possible through software, but I know it is possible to do it by doing a little custom wiring inbetween the fans and motherboard to add a potentiometer, or something like that, limiting the voltage. You can also try greesing up the fan. You need to take the sticker off each fan and greese the ceter axle part. If you do this you need to greese it and move it around a bit by hand to work it in before it runs at 4000rpm (or whatever it runs at). Another thing you can try is adding some sound damping inside your computer. ie. some sort of material that you stick on the insides of the computer case. I'm not sure how effective this can be. I tried it a bit in my computer and it didn't do anything usefull.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You should read Antipop post, I agree CPU fans on AMD are not needed since heat is not an issue with AMD.
Take those load fans and chuck them.
Good Luck.

G

Windsurfer, fans are all thats keeping your sys alive, no fans no sys, you can get better ones (quieter) but dont flick those ones till you do

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by garf on 01/22/01 10:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>