here's the real test

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
i have a cyrix pr200 with a rated clock speed of 166mhz(66fsb x 2.5)with the fsb overclocked to 80mhz and the multiplier set at 2x(clock speed of 160.) all of this on a MTI mustang board with the sis5571 chipset. my question is whenevr i try to switch to the multiplier to 2.5 with 80mhz bus(200mhz). my system loses stability. same thing if i use the 66mhz bus with a mulitplier of 3, i get the same thing. does anyone have any ideas about bringing up the stability at all. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

G

I used to own a couple 534G boards and if my memory is right, JP12 controlled the PCI buss speed. It's possible your cards don't like running at 41.5MHZ. Try changing JP 12, one way forces the PCI buss to run at 33MHZ; the other setting will cause it to run at 1/2 the FSB or 41.5MHZ. If that doesn't help, you may have hit the ceiling of what the cpu can do. I used to run the MII-300 cpu's in my machines.
Never got 83MHZ to run stable, so I used the 75 MHZ setting.

Andy

G

cyrix cpus are heat monsters, and they are not very overclockable... when you up the bus, it prolly just gets a little too hot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Try getting a larger CPU cooler, like the FOP32 for socketed PIII's and Athlons. You can always use the cooler later on your next computer that way. Probably just a heat problem.