VZW Revenue Generation Scam

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
January 28, 2005 8:41:46 PM

Sometimes I wish that you could legally give corporate executives a
really good, hard paddling when they deserve it. Here's one situation
that every Verizon Wireless customer should know about in the
unfortunate situation that your phone is lost or stolen -- they'll
back you against the wall to extract more money.

I've heard many times where people who may find your phone will
answer, hoping it's the person who lost it and can provide a return.
So what can you do to protect yourself from phone abuse since you
never know what is the case? Ask Verizon Wireless to not provide you
with half your service -- restrict your outgoing calls. Sound about
right?

Much to my shock and dismay, I was told that this "service" would cost
$3.00 since it is a "feature" on my account. I was DISGUSTED and
calmly told this representative to explain to me how this was a value
added service and not me limiting the service that I was entitled. I'd
like to know when the overwhelming majority would use this "feautre"
ala call waiting, unless they had their back against the wall like I
do. She couldn't and I'm sure neither could those business development
a-holes that came up with this revenue generator except that we don't
really have a choice. So marketing now calls this a "feature" as
though we are all too stupid to really know what this is....

SHAME ON YOU VERIZON WIRELESS AND EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE FOR TAKING
ADVANTAGE OF YOUR OWN CUSTOMERS.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 28, 2005 8:41:47 PM

Marc wrote:
> Sometimes I wish that you could legally give corporate
> executives a really good, hard paddling when they deserve
> it. Here's one situation that every Verizon Wireless
> customer should know about in the unfortunate situation
> that your phone is lost or stolen -- they'll back you
> against the wall to extract more money.
>
> I've heard many times where people who may find your
> phone will answer, hoping it's the person who lost it and
> can provide a return. So what can you do to protect
> yourself from phone abuse since you never know what is
> the case? Ask Verizon Wireless to not provide you with
> half your service -- restrict your outgoing calls. Sound
> about right?
>
> Much to my shock and dismay, I was told that this
> "service" would cost $3.00 since it is a "feature" on my
> account. I was DISGUSTED and calmly told this
> representative to explain to me how this was a value
> added service and not me limiting the service that I was
> entitled. I'd like to know when the overwhelming majority
> would use this "feautre" ala call waiting, unless they
> had their back against the wall like I do. She couldn't
> and I'm sure neither could those business development
> a-holes that came up with this revenue generator except
> that we don't really have a choice. So marketing now
> calls this a "feature" as though we are all too stupid to
> really know what this is....
>
> SHAME ON YOU VERIZON WIRELESS AND EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE
> FOR TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YOUR OWN CUSTOMERS.

Get a grip...
They sell you service like they sell *millions* of other customers.
YOU lost your cell phone (unlike millions of other customers --
or at least unlike the great majority of them) and you want them
to provision your line specially because you lost your phone.
"Hey, do me a favor and have the operations guys run over
and provision my line specially until I call you back and then
have billing note it in my account as an emergency case and
then undue everything when I call back. I promise it won't
happen again".

Try cancelling a check that you wrote with your bank... Chances
are you will get charged for the "service". Tell them you lost
your wallet and they will probably sympathize with you and then
still charge you to cancel the check.

yeesh,
-Quick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 28, 2005 8:41:47 PM

Some businesses provide cell phones to their employees.
A few then want to restrict these phones use to control costs.

Like, incoming calls only????

Yes Marc, it is indeed a "service".

Chill.......

"Marc" <shakeme__spamre__move_wakeme@yah____oo.com> wrote in message news:0dflv0hatgj1u9scfju51vagaf9jj41pjq@4ax.com...
> Sometimes I wish that you could legally give corporate executives a
> really good, hard paddling when they deserve it. Here's one situation
> that every Verizon Wireless customer should know about in the
> unfortunate situation that your phone is lost or stolen -- they'll
> back you against the wall to extract more money.
>
> I've heard many times where people who may find your phone will
> answer, hoping it's the person who lost it and can provide a return.
> So what can you do to protect yourself from phone abuse since you
> never know what is the case? Ask Verizon Wireless to not provide you
> with half your service -- restrict your outgoing calls. Sound about
> right?
>
> Much to my shock and dismay, I was told that this "service" would cost
> $3.00 since it is a "feature" on my account. I was DISGUSTED and
> calmly told this representative to explain to me how this was a value
> added service and not me limiting the service that I was entitled. I'd
> like to know when the overwhelming majority would use this "feautre"
> ala call waiting, unless they had their back against the wall like I
> do. She couldn't and I'm sure neither could those business development
> a-holes that came up with this revenue generator except that we don't
> really have a choice. So marketing now calls this a "feature" as
> though we are all too stupid to really know what this is....
>
> SHAME ON YOU VERIZON WIRELESS AND EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE FOR TAKING
> ADVANTAGE OF YOUR OWN CUSTOMERS.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 28, 2005 10:26:31 PM

shock and dismay etc. boo hoo. stop wining and grow up.you lost the phone.
buy insurance.
January 29, 2005 2:58:52 AM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:10:24 -0800, "Quick"
<quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Marc wrote:
>> Sometimes I wish that you could legally give corporate
>> executives a really good, hard paddling when they deserve
>> it. Here's one situation that every Verizon Wireless
>> customer should know about in the unfortunate situation
>> that your phone is lost or stolen -- they'll back you
>> against the wall to extract more money.
>>
>> I've heard many times where people who may find your
>> phone will answer, hoping it's the person who lost it and
>> can provide a return. So what can you do to protect
>> yourself from phone abuse since you never know what is
>> the case? Ask Verizon Wireless to not provide you with
>> half your service -- restrict your outgoing calls. Sound
>> about right?
>>
>> Much to my shock and dismay, I was told that this
>> "service" would cost $3.00 since it is a "feature" on my
>> account. I was DISGUSTED and calmly told this
>> representative to explain to me how this was a value
>> added service and not me limiting the service that I was
>> entitled. I'd like to know when the overwhelming majority
>> would use this "feautre" ala call waiting, unless they
>> had their back against the wall like I do. She couldn't
>> and I'm sure neither could those business development
>> a-holes that came up with this revenue generator except
>> that we don't really have a choice. So marketing now
>> calls this a "feature" as though we are all too stupid to
>> really know what this is....
>>
>> SHAME ON YOU VERIZON WIRELESS AND EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE
>> FOR TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YOUR OWN CUSTOMERS.
>
>Get a grip...
>They sell you service like they sell *millions* of other customers.
>YOU lost your cell phone (unlike millions of other customers --
>or at least unlike the great majority of them) and you want them
>to provision your line specially because you lost your phone.
>"Hey, do me a favor and have the operations guys run over
>and provision my line specially until I call you back and then
>have billing note it in my account as an emergency case and
>then undue everything when I call back. I promise it won't
>happen again".

You are obviously not very bright. All they do is type in one setting
into the computer which shuts down outgoing calls just as easily as
putting in a new ESN number.

>Try cancelling a check that you wrote with your bank... Chances
>are you will get charged for the "service". Tell them you lost
>your wallet and they will probably sympathize with you and then
>still charge you to cancel the check.

Not the same and not comparable since there are other risks involved
although they have similar issues.
January 29, 2005 3:10:17 AM

I've never heard of any business like that and it would be the
exception. The bottom line is that if I'm paying for two way service
then limiting it to one way means I'm already paying more than the
service I'm getting.

And if it costs $3 to do this for 2 days then it is because they have
you locked into a contract and because you can't do anything but pay
them whatever "service charge" they'll charge you. It's not like you
can leave.

I'm waiting until you get charged for getting a new phone you didn't
buy from VZW and then get charged some exorbitant "service charge" for
them to put in the new ESN number and then do "loads of stuff that has
to go on in the power plant and other behind the scenes labor" to
justify the charge.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:59:31 -0800, "Richard Ness"
<richardno@damnspam.nessnet.com> wrote:

>Some businesses provide cell phones to their employees.
>A few then want to restrict these phones use to control costs.
>
>Like, incoming calls only????
>
>Yes Marc, it is indeed a "service".
>
>Chill.......
>

>"Marc" <shakeme__spamre__move_wakeme@yah____oo.com> wrote in message news:0dflv0hatgj1u9scfju51vagaf9jj41pjq@4ax.com...
>> Sometimes I wish that you could legally give corporate executives a
>> really good, hard paddling when they deserve it. Here's one situation
>> that every Verizon Wireless customer should know about in the
>> unfortunate situation that your phone is lost or stolen -- they'll
>> back you against the wall to extract more money.
>>
>> I've heard many times where people who may find your phone will
>> answer, hoping it's the person who lost it and can provide a return.
>> So what can you do to protect yourself from phone abuse since you
>> never know what is the case? Ask Verizon Wireless to not provide you
>> with half your service -- restrict your outgoing calls. Sound about
>> right?
>>
>> Much to my shock and dismay, I was told that this "service" would cost
>> $3.00 since it is a "feature" on my account. I was DISGUSTED and
>> calmly told this representative to explain to me how this was a value
>> added service and not me limiting the service that I was entitled. I'd
>> like to know when the overwhelming majority would use this "feautre"
>> ala call waiting, unless they had their back against the wall like I
>> do. She couldn't and I'm sure neither could those business development
>> a-holes that came up with this revenue generator except that we don't
>> really have a choice. So marketing now calls this a "feature" as
>> though we are all too stupid to really know what this is....
>>
>> SHAME ON YOU VERIZON WIRELESS AND EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE FOR TAKING
>> ADVANTAGE OF YOUR OWN CUSTOMERS.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 29, 2005 12:11:23 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:41:46 -0500, Marc wrote:

>I've heard many times where people who may find your phone will
>answer, hoping it's the person who lost it and can provide a return.
>So what can you do to protect yourself from phone abuse since you
>never know what is the case? Ask Verizon Wireless to not provide you
>with half your service -- restrict your outgoing calls. Sound about
>right?

What about getting a phone that does that (or something equivalent) for you in the first place? E.g. the LG VX6100 has a restricted call feature: you can receive all calls but only dial numbers contained in your phone book (to dial another number, you would have to turn off the feature which requires a password).
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 29, 2005 12:11:30 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:41:46 -0500, Marc
<shakeme__spamre__move_wakeme@yah____oo.com> wrote:

>Sometimes I wish that you could legally give corporate executives a
>really good, hard paddling when they deserve it. Here's one situation
>that every Verizon Wireless customer should know about in the
>unfortunate situation that your phone is lost or stolen -- they'll
>back you against the wall to extract more money.

<SNIP>

Think of it as an idiot tax - for losing your phone AND believing that
someone would sit there with it, awaiting the call of the owner to
arrange a place to give the phone back.

I worked at a corporate cell phone store, and only ONCE in the 5 years
I worked there did we ever get a call of someone saying they had a
phone of our customers (all of our phones had a sticker on the back
with our # on it).
a b F Wireless
January 29, 2005 12:41:10 PM

You obviously are VERY new to the wireless game.
Naiveté however, isn't an excuse for being obtuse.
You are letting the emotion of loosing a phone cloud your thought process.

'Normal' phone service is incoming and outgoing. To deviate from that is
special circumstance and would be called a "service". Over and above
the norm. You have this "one way" - "two way" idea that is not letting you
see what is the actual facts of the matter. Restricting a "normal" service
requires special action on their part, special switch codes and such.
Thus, it is a "service".

Granted, under this circumstance, them charging for it may be a bit much.
But, this may be more of a case of how YOU handled yourself in this situation.
By your (off base) rant here, I'm inclined to believe that this is probably the case.

I've acquired quite a few phones over the years from outside of the normal sales
channels and have NEVER been charged a red cent. Has them flashed with newer
firmware and everything. Again, no "exorbitant "service charge".

It's all in how you approach a situation. Something you obviously need to learn.
It's called 'people skills'........

"Marc" <shakeme__spamre__move_wakeme@yah____oo.com> wrote in message news:6c6mv0din3thf9fb0nlg9p0dddtdd8q1kk@4ax.com...
> I've never heard of any business like that and it would be the
> exception. The bottom line is that if I'm paying for two way service
> then limiting it to one way means I'm already paying more than the
> service I'm getting.
>
> And if it costs $3 to do this for 2 days then it is because they have
> you locked into a contract and because you can't do anything but pay
> them whatever "service charge" they'll charge you. It's not like you
> can leave.
>
> I'm waiting until you get charged for getting a new phone you didn't
> buy from VZW and then get charged some exorbitant "service charge" for
> them to put in the new ESN number and then do "loads of stuff that has
> to go on in the power plant and other behind the scenes labor" to
> justify the charge.
>
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:59:31 -0800, "Richard Ness"
> <richardno@damnspam.nessnet.com> wrote:
>
>>Some businesses provide cell phones to their employees.
>>A few then want to restrict these phones use to control costs.
>>
>>Like, incoming calls only????
>>
>>Yes Marc, it is indeed a "service".
>>
>>Chill.......
>>

>>"Marc" <shakeme__spamre__move_wakeme@yah____oo.com> wrote in message news:0dflv0hatgj1u9scfju51vagaf9jj41pjq@4ax.com...
>>> Sometimes I wish that you could legally give corporate executives a
>>> really good, hard paddling when they deserve it. Here's one situation
>>> that every Verizon Wireless customer should know about in the
>>> unfortunate situation that your phone is lost or stolen -- they'll
>>> back you against the wall to extract more money.
>>>
>>> I've heard many times where people who may find your phone will
>>> answer, hoping it's the person who lost it and can provide a return.
>>> So what can you do to protect yourself from phone abuse since you
>>> never know what is the case? Ask Verizon Wireless to not provide you
>>> with half your service -- restrict your outgoing calls. Sound about
>>> right?
>>>
>>> Much to my shock and dismay, I was told that this "service" would cost
>>> $3.00 since it is a "feature" on my account. I was DISGUSTED and
>>> calmly told this representative to explain to me how this was a value
>>> added service and not me limiting the service that I was entitled. I'd
>>> like to know when the overwhelming majority would use this "feautre"
>>> ala call waiting, unless they had their back against the wall like I
>>> do. She couldn't and I'm sure neither could those business development
>>> a-holes that came up with this revenue generator except that we don't
>>> really have a choice. So marketing now calls this a "feature" as
>>> though we are all too stupid to really know what this is....
>>>
>>> SHAME ON YOU VERIZON WIRELESS AND EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE FOR TAKING
>>> ADVANTAGE OF YOUR OWN CUSTOMERS.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 29, 2005 2:37:42 PM

Marc wrote:
> Sometimes I wish that you could legally give corporate executives a
> really good, hard paddling when they deserve it. Here's one situation
> that every Verizon Wireless customer should know about in the
> unfortunate situation that your phone is lost or stolen -- they'll
> back you against the wall to extract more money.
>
> I've heard many times where people who may find your phone will
> answer, hoping it's the person who lost it and can provide a return.
> So what can you do to protect yourself from phone abuse since you
> never know what is the case? Ask Verizon Wireless to not provide you
> with half your service -- restrict your outgoing calls. Sound about
> right?

You can usually do that from the phone for free.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 29, 2005 2:38:30 PM

Marc wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:10:24 -0800, "Quick"
> <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Marc wrote:
>>
>>>Sometimes I wish that you could legally give corporate
>>>executives a really good, hard paddling when they deserve
>>>it. Here's one situation that every Verizon Wireless
>>>customer should know about in the unfortunate situation
>>>that your phone is lost or stolen -- they'll back you
>>>against the wall to extract more money.
>>>
>>>I've heard many times where people who may find your
>>>phone will answer, hoping it's the person who lost it and
>>>can provide a return. So what can you do to protect
>>>yourself from phone abuse since you never know what is
>>>the case? Ask Verizon Wireless to not provide you with
>>>half your service -- restrict your outgoing calls. Sound
>>>about right?
>>>
>>>Much to my shock and dismay, I was told that this
>>>"service" would cost $3.00 since it is a "feature" on my
>>>account. I was DISGUSTED and calmly told this
>>>representative to explain to me how this was a value
>>>added service and not me limiting the service that I was
>>>entitled. I'd like to know when the overwhelming majority
>>>would use this "feautre" ala call waiting, unless they
>>>had their back against the wall like I do. She couldn't
>>>and I'm sure neither could those business development
>>>a-holes that came up with this revenue generator except
>>>that we don't really have a choice. So marketing now
>>>calls this a "feature" as though we are all too stupid to
>>>really know what this is....
>>>
>>>SHAME ON YOU VERIZON WIRELESS AND EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE
>>>FOR TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YOUR OWN CUSTOMERS.
>>
>>Get a grip...
>>They sell you service like they sell *millions* of other customers.
>>YOU lost your cell phone (unlike millions of other customers --
>>or at least unlike the great majority of them) and you want them
>>to provision your line specially because you lost your phone.
>>"Hey, do me a favor and have the operations guys run over
>>and provision my line specially until I call you back and then
>>have billing note it in my account as an emergency case and
>>then undue everything when I call back. I promise it won't
>>happen again".
>

> You are obviously not very bright. All they do is type in one setting
> into the computer which shuts down outgoing calls just as easily as
> putting in a new ESN number.

oops, I misread. You lost your phone, and they were charging you to report it
lost and disable it?

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 29, 2005 4:26:03 PM

I have returned two found cell phones. The first time I actually tried
calling the cell company in question, they refused to talk to me at all;
said I could give it to the police who would throw it away. I instead
called the first number on the addressbook and asked the person who
answered it who's phone it was. The second time I had learned my lesson
and realized that the company has no interest in helping to get the
phone back to the owner and didn't try, just called the most frequently
called number. and said: "Do you know who's phone this is?"

Josh

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:41:46 -0500, Marc
> <shakeme__spamre__move_wakeme@yah____oo.com> wrote:
>

>>Sometimes I wish that you could legally give corporate executives a
>>really good, hard paddling when they deserve it. Here's one situation
>>that every Verizon Wireless customer should know about in the
>>unfortunate situation that your phone is lost or stolen -- they'll
>>back you against the wall to extract more money.
>

> <SNIP>
>
> Think of it as an idiot tax - for losing your phone AND believing that
> someone would sit there with it, awaiting the call of the owner to
> arrange a place to give the phone back.
>
> I worked at a corporate cell phone store, and only ONCE in the 5 years
> I worked there did we ever get a call of someone saying they had a
> phone of our customers (all of our phones had a sticker on the back
> with our # on it).
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 29, 2005 5:28:55 PM

You had the option of programming a password on your phone so nobody but you
could make outgoing phone calls.
This feature was offered to you for free, for just the reason that you need
it- a stolen phone.

You chose not to use it, and, while I am no fan of Verizon billing, in this
case I don't think I can blame them for the $3 fee.

"Marc" <shakeme__spamre__move_wakeme@yah____oo.com> wrote in message
> Sometimes I wish that you could legally give corporate executives a
> really good, hard paddling when they deserve it. Here's one situation
> that every Verizon Wireless customer should know about in the
> unfortunate situation that your phone is lost or stolen -- they'll
> back you against the wall to extract more money.
>
> I've heard many times where people who may find your phone will
> answer, hoping it's the person who lost it and can provide a return.
> So what can you do to protect yourself from phone abuse since you
> never know what is the case? Ask Verizon Wireless to not provide you
> with half your service -- restrict your outgoing calls. Sound about
> right?
>
> Much to my shock and dismay, I was told that this "service" would cost
> $3.00 since it is a "feature" on my account. I was DISGUSTED and
> calmly told this representative to explain to me how this was a value
> added service and not me limiting the service that I was entitled. I'd
> like to know when the overwhelming majority would use this "feautre"
> ala call waiting, unless they had their back against the wall like I
> do. She couldn't and I'm sure neither could those business development
> a-holes that came up with this revenue generator except that we don't
> really have a choice. So marketing now calls this a "feature" as
> though we are all too stupid to really know what this is....
>
> SHAME ON YOU VERIZON WIRELESS AND EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE FOR TAKING
> ADVANTAGE OF YOUR OWN CUSTOMERS.
January 29, 2005 8:16:25 PM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:11:30 -0800, Evan Platt
<evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:41:46 -0500, Marc
><shakeme__spamre__move_wakeme@yah____oo.com> wrote:
>
>>Sometimes I wish that you could legally give corporate executives a
>>really good, hard paddling when they deserve it. Here's one situation
>>that every Verizon Wireless customer should know about in the
>>unfortunate situation that your phone is lost or stolen -- they'll
>>back you against the wall to extract more money.
>
><SNIP>
>
>Think of it as an idiot tax - for losing your phone AND believing that
>someone would sit there with it, awaiting the call of the owner to
>arrange a place to give the phone back.

<SNIP>

Last summer I found a phone. The screen was broken. I let it call the
last called number, explained the situation. 5 minutes later the owner
called the phone and I made arrangments to get the phone back to them.

So I guess there are nice people in the world. Then there is Verizon
which has a way of helping somebody with a problem and insists on
being paid. $3.00 is nothing but money grubbing in this situation
since all it takes is throwing one little software switch.

Oh yes. You are an idiot!<GRIN>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 29, 2005 10:27:20 PM

> I worked at a corporate cell phone store, and only ONCE in the 5 years
> I worked there did we ever get a call of someone saying they had a
> phone of our customers (all of our phones had a sticker on the back
> with our # on it).

I think most people just call the last number or someone in the contact list
and ask whose the owner is. My daughter does that when she finds them on
campus... met a couple of nice boys that way. <g> My mother in law found one
and has absolutely no knowledge of phones or carriers and dropped it off at
an authorized agent near her home (he went to high school with one of her
kids).
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 30, 2005 1:22:43 AM

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message news:H4NKd.1619$me4.1568@trndny04...
> You had the option of programming a password on your phone so nobody but you
> could make outgoing phone calls.

That takes a few seconds to find if you have a data cable.

Roger
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 30, 2005 5:53:00 PM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:22:43 -0800, Roger Binns wrote:

> "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message news:H4NKd.1619$me4.1568@trndny04...
>> You had the option of programming a password on your phone so nobody but you
>> could make outgoing phone calls.
>
> That takes a few seconds to find if you have a data cable.
>
> Roger

True, but most people on the street wouldn't have a clue about this.
February 1, 2005 6:20:34 PM

Verizon (and all companies) are motivated by profit. Keeping customers
satisfied generally increases their profit. You play a part in this. Your
dissatisfaction can (and should) cause you to seek another provider who
doesn't disgust you. If Verizon loses enough business because of this, it
will be motivated to change its ways.

I understand your frustration. It is kind of like the local phone companies
who charge customers for unlisted numbers, that is, a charge to NOT list
your number.

"Marc" <shakeme__spamre__move_wakeme@yah____oo.com> wrote in message
> Sometimes I wish that you could legally give corporate executives a
> really good, hard paddling when they deserve it. Here's one situation
> that every Verizon Wireless customer should know about in the
> unfortunate situation that your phone is lost or stolen -- they'll
> back you against the wall to extract more money.
>
> I've heard many times where people who may find your phone will
> answer, hoping it's the person who lost it and can provide a return.
> So what can you do to protect yourself from phone abuse since you
> never know what is the case? Ask Verizon Wireless to not provide you
> with half your service -- restrict your outgoing calls. Sound about
> right?
>
> Much to my shock and dismay, I was told that this "service" would cost
> $3.00 since it is a "feature" on my account. I was DISGUSTED and
> calmly told this representative to explain to me how this was a value
> added service and not me limiting the service that I was entitled. I'd
> like to know when the overwhelming majority would use this "feautre"
> ala call waiting, unless they had their back against the wall like I
> do. She couldn't and I'm sure neither could those business development
> a-holes that came up with this revenue generator except that we don't
> really have a choice. So marketing now calls this a "feature" as
> though we are all too stupid to really know what this is....
>
> SHAME ON YOU VERIZON WIRELESS AND EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE FOR TAKING
> ADVANTAGE OF YOUR OWN CUSTOMERS.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 3, 2005 12:29:20 PM

Tropical Haven wrote:

> I think it's important to try to get both CDMA and GSM in
> each and every market, that way when AMPS shuts down,
> there will be an abundance of digital coverage (although
> GSM doesn't have to worry about this, it won't help CDMA
> carriers that rely on analog.)

errr, ummm, parse error...

1) My understanding is that AMPS shares the same
bandwidth/spectrum as digital? So when a carrier
decided to drop it's AMPS support it would probably
turn up digital on the same tower. Granted, the range
could be less but "an abundance of digital coverage"
implies replacing AMPS with digital.

2) "it won't help CDMA carriers that rely on analog"
I'm not sure what you mean here? GSM phones
are analogous to the digital only CDMA phones.
They are not capable of doing AMPS (I think it's
sort of based on the lack of an ESN). So a particular
carrier with bandwidth in the 800 spectrum might
use it for CDMA or AMPS. I'm not sure how to apply
"CDMA carriers that rely on analog". I guess VZW
could be called one of these because they have
areas of analog coverage (Extended network partners?).
There is no reason those couldn't be made digital.

It's not like the FCC flips a switch on analog at some
point and areas of the coverage map go dark.

(maybe I'm just confused)
-Quick
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 4, 2005 6:42:01 PM

Here in SE WI, my guess is that both cellular carriers, cingular and
uscellular, will turn off amps fairly quickly. The same for verizon in
the parts of the country they are cellular. All three are, almost all,
or all, overlaid with digital. All three have not sold an analog only
phone in years. None of the major 3 carriers where I have read the
quarterly press reports, make any claims of big analog roaming income.
I don't know if their analog operations are still profitable. They are
likely only still up because of FCC rules.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 6, 2005 3:13:31 PM

"However, most CDMA users would notice the death of AMPS.", I don't
think so. Most CDMA users never leave areas covered by CDMA service,
from their own carrier, and then some/most of them can roam onto another
CDMA carrier.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 9, 2005 8:29:05 AM

> "However, most CDMA users would notice the death of AMPS.", I don't
> think so. Most CDMA users never leave areas covered by CDMA service,
> from their own carrier, and then some/most of them can roam onto another
> CDMA carrier.

Ok, I will change that to "most CDMA users concerned with comprehensive
coverage would notice the death of AMPS."
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 9, 2005 12:10:02 PM

Tropical Haven wrote:
>> "However, most CDMA users would notice the death of
>> AMPS.", I don't think so. Most CDMA users never leave
>> areas covered by CDMA service, from their own carrier,
>> and then some/most of them can roam onto another CDMA
>> carrier.
>
> Ok, I will change that to "most CDMA users concerned with
> comprehensive coverage would notice the death of AMPS."

Well, same answer. The Analog would be converted to digital.
And... the analog we are talking about is coverage that GSM
users never had in the first place.

-Quick
!