Asus A7V or abit KT7-RAID??

Corinthian

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
I plan on getting either a tbird 850,900 or a duron 800 and OC it to 1 Gig. Can I easily OC a 850 Tbird to 1 gig or do I need a 900? And are there any major differences that should make me choose the A7V over the KT7-Raid or vica versa?

I haven't done any OC'ing in years and I haven't kept up-to-date on what is happening, so if anyone could offer some general advice here, I'd most appreciate it.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you'll be happy with either board, but get the kt7 if you want raid capaility .... which is cool....

i had the a7v, great board...

the best way to oc a tbird is by connecting the bridges to unlock the multiplier

there are a whole bunch of articles on that kinda stuff at tom's site as well as at anandtech.com

i got my 800 up to 950 with the multiplier (9.5 x 100)... got up to 978 by adding some fsb ....

you could be able to get your 850 to 1000.....
it all depends on the chip.
I've seen a few people get their 800's to 1000, and some get only to 850....

oh yeah, and get a good fan... like a global win fop38 i you can stand the noise or an alpha pal.... again, there are more good articles that go into more depth here and at a few ther places like anandtech.....

good luck

G

My Athlon 800 hits 1G, there are a bunch of articles on the web about doing this, and just search this board for information on any possible little problems that might come up, as well as loads of other information. I'm using the A7V, it has been great since bios 1005a. I think most peoples Athlon 800's hit 1000, but prices are dropping fast so get as high as you can afford.

DESIGN TEAM

Corinthian

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
I've decided to go with A7V and an 800 duron that I will try to get to 1 gig. an 850 or 900 athlon isn't that much more expensive, but still there is a price difference and after thinking over my needs, an 800 duron will do. if I should happen to ruin it in the process of oc'ing it I can take that loss, and if I later should want an athlon I recon I can get one pretty cheap so the total cost of say an 800 duron bought today and an 850-900 athlon bought in 6 months-1 year should be not much more than an 900 bought today

G

I have both boards - kt7 raid and a7v.

The kt7 worked right away but the a7v took 1.5 months to get working - the release date of 1005a bios.

My next board will be neither of these two, but a toss-up between k7t Pro2a and the ak73.

I believe we get back an irq stolen by the HighPoint or the Promise controllers and there is less pci slot sharing. I have heard many good stories about both.

G

Looks like RAID might be possible on the Asus A7V too!
There's a 'mod' at <A HREF="http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/a7v-raid/" target="_new">http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/a7v-raid/</A>

I haven't tried this out yet, as I recently burned up my Athlon 800...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You can get tested and guaranteed, overclocked Durons at OCZ.SAFESHOPPER.COM. 950, 1000, and 1050 Mhz versions are $59.99, $69.99 and $79.99, respectively. They all require a good CPU cooler and good case cooling.

No I don't work for them. I'm just a satisfied customer.