what p3 to buy for OC

G

I am planning my next system. I write software and I must stay with intel because i must support intel based systems.
My plan is as follows:
MB asus cusl2, 1 micron PC133 cl2 256M mem chip, gainward geforce ultra 500 video. my question is what cpu? I would like to run at or near 1Ghz. i am thinking about p3-866eb, which should run at 975/150.

ANY suggestions? ( more bang for the buck)

G

has anyone tied to oc an 866/133eb and with what results?
Also do you know the increments that the asus cusl2 can be oc'd(fsb)?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Overclocking an EB is not such a good idea for easy performance. They have been known to go over 1GHZ with high enough voltage and excellent cooling but in order to get the AGP slot to run at 4X with buss speeds over 140 requires a bios hack. You could easily get a PIII 700E to run at 933 (stock 133 bus and 1.70-1.75v) or usually to 980 (at 140MHZ and 1.75-1.85v), and they are a lot cheaper. Of coarse, there are even higher performance gains possible, but to get 4X at those bus speeds requires the hack. As an avanced overclocker I might like to try the 866EB, but garrantees are easier to make on the 700E.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, if you like taking risk, go with the 750E and try to get 1Ghz out of it. No garrantees that it will work though. I can get my 700E to go to 1015 at 1.90v. Higher voltage does not help any further, but might if I had a little cooler room to work in. Like I said, no garrantees, but you could TRY the 750E at 1GHZ. My gameplan there would be to load the system at stock settings, then bump the voltage up to 1.95V with a good heatsink like the FOP32 w/Artic Silver, then, if it boots OK, lower the voltage 1 step at a time until it is no longer stable, then bump it back up 1 setting.

cipher

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would highly recommend a 800E cCO stepping. I have a SECC2 800E (cBO) which runs 100% stable @ 1.008GHz (have 17hr stab. cert). It also runs fine at 1.040Ghz also, but I have to use extra case fan/blow hole setup and really the extra 32Hz doesnt justify the extra noise so diconnected the fans(g friend hates the noise) so i leave it at 1.008Ghz with just the alpha P125 M60 running nice & quiet...

G

Check out the CPU database at <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.com</A> for more info on what cpu's can do. P-III 700's cb0 doo good. Mine hits 933 MHz at 1.65 volts.

Eek!

G

Hay crash!!!
and what mite that hack be. even better what site would have this info??