DP5-6H51 just sucks...

G

My computer overheats constantly with this fan (1100 GHz Thunderbird). After having the computer on for about 7 hours straight, if I decide to do anything even semi-demanding on my system (ie, play UT or Ultima 9) I end up overheating half-way through (about an hour and a half into the game). I'd like a suggestion on a better fan, and also I'd like to know if there's any way to keep this fan running cooler longer.

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You're right, you shouldn't be having those problems. Is it just a fan you are looking for, or the heatsink as well? I'm using a Tai-Sol forged 742092 heatsink/fan unit, and it's quiet, not too expensive, and keeps my CPU running at no hotter than 125 degrees F when I'm really pushing it. My idle temps are about 100 degrees F or so. Here's a link to a place that sells them. They seem to sell like hotcakes and you'll have to pre-order if you want to get one from this place, but I was glad that I did business with them. My case and cooling setup isn't the best it could be either, but with this heatsink, I'm happy.
Plus, (and this is a big plus), the Tai-Sol has probably the best retaining Socket A clip that I've seen. You can see for yourself. I'm not sure what mobo you are running your T-bird on, but you'll want to make sure you have enough room for this heatsink because it is a big un'..
http://www.inflowdirect.com/
good luck.. Phil

how is your case cooling ? case temps? i use the same cooler lapped and polished on bottom and cheap thermal paste.
a budget solution, extra spare fan mounted on side pulling air out or across fins. p3 550e@816 1.85v cpu 87 f m/b 78 f
as im typing .hosting a lan game cpu 123 f m/b 86 f with cpu short spikes/max load/135 f hitting this for less than 1 second . tested by running passmark burn in ,wintune,and stabilitytest at same time while monitoring asus probe.

G

I opened the right side of my case to let air flow better (used to overheat CONSTANTLY), and my case temperatures are significantly cooler. The highest I've seen it is 90-ish. I don't keep my computer on for very long anymore and I save games about every five minutes or whenever I can. It's a real pain in the ass to be an hour from where you last saved and then -bam- the screen goes blank, the little system speaker beeps, and the whole startup procedure begins.

Also, a side-note.. Is it harmful at all to keep my case open? Also, sometimes when I start up, everything starts up, but my monitor doesn't load any information (just has the testing-screen thinggy). I have my monitor hooked up to my AGP GeForce 2 Ultra, but aside from that, I can't think of anything that could make that happen.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by GranoblasticMan on 01/09/01 10:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

As for the temps, if opening the case makes a huge difference than that should tell you to improve airflow in and out of your case! In the case of the monitor not doing anything upon bootup could be a few things. Is the computer actually loading Windows when the screen is doing that?? You just think all is OK because you can't see it, but I would venture to say that it actually is just powering all the components. Is this an Abit KT7 board. Thier is a problem with them and some components that does not allow the computer to fully initialize on startup. Second, take the AGP card out, use compressed air and blow the AGP slot out, re-insert the card. After you insert the card look at the base of the card where it goes into the motherboard and make sure it is straight in the slot, not the back down or up further than the front of the card, then put the screw in to secure it. Now re-power the system and see if it helps.

G

It's a KT7-RAID. As for blowing the slot out with compressed air, can't really do that.. Don't have any handy right now. Is it the same basic concept as blowing the old SNES/NES cartridges?

G

You got it. It you can't blow it out I would still try taking the card out and re-inserting it to see if that helps. APG slots are very sensitive to card position, much more than ISA or PCI slots ever will be, as the connections are only about 1/32" apart, compared to about 1/16" apart. The tolerance of the slot is very low and if any connections don't make good contact it may not initialize video resulting in the problem you have. Also, on Abit's web site they say that penciling the L1 bridges could also cause the computer not to initialize, just power on.

G

Didn't overclock, so that's not the problem. As for AGP, I'll try that and report the results later.

G

You are right. I also sent an e-mail to Cooler Master to understand some unclear design characteristics of such heatsink (i.e., difficult to mount and dismount the heatsink, the poor quality of the fan, etc..).
I also noted a reduction of the speed of the fan due to a degradation of the lower ball bearing (this fan has two ball bearing devices) which brought to an increase of the CPU temperature.
For an Athlon 1100 such heatsink is not the optimum. You can lower about 7÷8 degrees C by using the Thermaltake Super Orb. It is quite noisy but works and allowed me to close (!!) the computer case. It is also convenient to install an exhaust fan in the rear of the Computer, as AMD also suggest. Also you may verify if the power supply does not blow warm air inside the computer. If it is the case you must install an exhaust fan. This is very important if you have also a lot of drives (disks or CD-rom) because they produce a lot of heat inside the computer case and let the power supply to work at higher temperature.

G

I had this same coolermaster hsf setup (in fact, I'm looking at it right now as I type, it's sitting on my computer desk doing its new job of paperweighting. It got demoted from cpu cooler when my FOP38 arrived in the mail :). I use the fan to move air on my prophet II mx's memory chips.

Greg

Duron 700@900 Asus A7V 1003
128mb PC100 WD 30gig ata 100
prophet II mx

G

I'm using the Coolermaster DP5-5H51, smaller brother of the herein criticized DP5-6H51, and I succeed in getting a Duron 650 to run 950 with no speciaal tricks other than ordinary thermal paste and a higher V-core of 1.85V.... so the DP5-6H51 can't be THAT bad..... and it's cheap too.

Keep it cool!

TRENDING THREADS