Add Printer Not Functioning

April 7, 2004 5:34:35 PM

The printer stopped functioning. Checking Printer-Fax
window showed the printer Icon missing.Clicking the Add
Printer Icon gives message " Operation could not be
completed." Any help would be appreciated.
Anonymous
April 7, 2004 7:45:37 PM

see if this works,
probably the spooler service is not running. This is usually caused by
print drivers
corrupting memory that the spooler service utilizes.
open a cmd prompt window from programs then type
net start spooler

"d2molsen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The printer stopped functioning. Checking Printer-Fax
> window showed the printer Icon missing.Clicking the Add
> Printer Icon gives message " Operation could not be
> completed." Any help would be appreciated.
Anonymous
April 7, 2004 7:45:38 PM

Did not work.error message; system error 1068. Also did
not work when typed into Run box

April 7, 2004 7:45:39 PM

Uh-oh. 1068 = ERROR_SERVICE_DEPENDENCY_FAIL, so I presume you had a Lexmark
printer installed ? See
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/PrintingFAQ.HTM#_Toc683...

--
This information is provided AS-IS and confers no rights.

> Did not work.error message; system error 1068. Also did
> not work when typed into Run box

Anonymous
April 7, 2004 7:45:39 PM

Hmmm error 1068

1068 ERROR_SERVICE_DEPENDENCY_FAIL

I'll bet you have a Lexmark printer.

To quote Victor D.
==
From Bruce Sanders web site.
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm This is an
additional steps to take along with what you did if you have a LEXMARK
printer:

If you have a Lexmark printer, these additional steps may be necessary
(thanks to Robert Orleth [MSFT] for providing this information). The
Lexmark printer installation process sometimes installs a service that makes
the print spooler service dependent on itself. If there is a problem with
Lexmark service or a Lexmark printer driver (or you removed it using the
steps above), the print spooler service may not start (see also
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324757). The steps
below make the print spooler service only dependent on the Remote Procedure
Call (RPC) service (RPCSS), which is normal. The print spooler service
dependencies are stored in the registry at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler\DependOnService

The sc config command at step 15 resets the value of that entry.

14.. Open a Command Prompt window

15.. key the command
sc config spooler depend= RPCSS
(note the space after the = but not before)

16.. restart the print spooler (see steps 8 and 9 above)

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

!