Add Printer Not Functioning

The printer stopped functioning. Checking Printer-Fax
window showed the printer Icon missing.Clicking the Add
Printer Icon gives message " Operation could not be
completed." Any help would be appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about printer functioning

    see if this works,
    probably the spooler service is not running. This is usually caused by
    print drivers
    corrupting memory that the spooler service utilizes.
    open a cmd prompt window from programs then type
    net start spooler

    "d2molsen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The printer stopped functioning. Checking Printer-Fax
    > window showed the printer Icon missing.Clicking the Add
    > Printer Icon gives message " Operation could not be
    > completed." Any help would be appreciated.

    Did not work.error message; system error 1068. Also did
    not work when typed into Run box

    Uh-oh. 1068 = ERROR_SERVICE_DEPENDENCY_FAIL, so I presume you had a Lexmark
    printer installed ? See
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/PrintingFAQ.HTM#_Toc68335083

    --
    This information is provided AS-IS and confers no rights.

    > Did not work.error message; system error 1068. Also did
    > not work when typed into Run box

    Hmmm error 1068

    1068 ERROR_SERVICE_DEPENDENCY_FAIL

    I'll bet you have a Lexmark printer.

    To quote Victor D.
    ==
    From Bruce Sanders web site.
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm This is an
    additional steps to take along with what you did if you have a LEXMARK
    printer:

    If you have a Lexmark printer, these additional steps may be necessary
    (thanks to Robert Orleth [MSFT] for providing this information). The
    Lexmark printer installation process sometimes installs a service that makes
    the print spooler service dependent on itself. If there is a problem with
    Lexmark service or a Lexmark printer driver (or you removed it using the
    steps above), the print spooler service may not start (see also
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324757). The steps
    below make the print spooler service only dependent on the Remote Procedure
    Call (RPC) service (RPCSS), which is normal. The print spooler service
    dependencies are stored in the registry at

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler\DependOnService

    The sc config command at step 15 resets the value of that entry.

    14.. Open a Command Prompt window

    15.. key the command
    sc config spooler depend= RPCSS
    (note the space after the = but not before)

    16.. restart the print spooler (see steps 8 and 9 above)

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "d2molsen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Did not work.error message; system error 1068. Also did
    > not work when typed into Run box

Fax Microsoft Printers Windows XP