Newbie to EQ2 Q's

Hi all....

Ive been out of EQ since hmm, sometime after LDON.

Im sitting here downloading the 10 hour patch, and reading the manual.

Question on servers...
Which of the servers offer PvP? I think I noticed in another post, there
are 4 of them. Differences between them? I did some pvp way back when,
briefly. I like the idea of Good vs Evil.

Classes...I played a Shaman in EQ to the mid 50's. Also, played a druid as
well as mage to the 40's.

Opinions on classes that are solo worthy?

Also, any advice for a first time EQ2 player?

Storm

More about newbie

    "Storm" <not@all.here> wrote in message news:4200de1f$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    > Hi all....
    >
    > Ive been out of EQ since hmm, sometime after LDON.
    >
    > Im sitting here downloading the 10 hour patch, and reading the manual.
    >
    > Question on servers...
    > Which of the servers offer PvP? I think I noticed in another post, there
    > are 4 of them. Differences between them? I did some pvp way back when,
    > briefly. I like the idea of Good vs Evil.

    As of now, there is no PvP in EQ2. There are hints of its possibility in
    the future, but, at the time of this writing, none.

    > Classes...I played a Shaman in EQ to the mid 50's. Also, played a druid
    as
    > well as mage to the 40's.
    >
    > Opinions on classes that are solo worthy?

    I have not found a class that cannot be soloed to some extent. There are
    none that can perform the ancient Druid technique known as "Quad-Kiting", so
    that sort of thing is out, but my Bard, my Druid, and my Crusader all do
    equally well soloing, though they must choose different prey, and I prefer
    the Crusader for soloing so far. I cannot speak to the caster types.

    > Also, any advice for a first time EQ2 player?

    My first bit of advice is to do every quest that comes your way. I have
    manged to get to and through level 10 and never leaving the inner zones.
    The quest rewards are, even solo, well worth the efforts. If you research
    them well, you can manage to do a good number of quests quickly by
    consilidating your trips. Allakhazam, once again, seems to have the "goto"
    site for item and quest information: http://eq2.allakhazam.com/.

    While there are in game maps for the town and major outdoor zones (Antonica,
    Commonlands, Nektulos and the like), I use The Tower of Dreams
    http://www.gry-online.pl/eq2/index.asp. Getting around Qeynos, and I
    presume that Freeport is similar, there are two things that are important to
    remember and learn. The Mariner's Bell (Connects to almost all city zones),
    and the "sewer". Qeynos calls it the Down Below, and Freeport calls it
    Theives Way, but these sewers connect ALL of the city zones. They also make
    it possible for someone from the opposing City to enter their antagonist's
    inner sanctum (Took my Qeynos Druid through the sewers last night and got a
    close look at North Freeport). You are safe there until a guard spots you.
    He will "attack" you, and instantly port you back outside the city, no
    damage, just a "Get the hell out of my city" thing.

    Best of luck and enjoy. I know that I am.

    Fingon, Eathan, Maelgwyn, all of Resolute on Lucan D'Lere

    >I cannot speak to the caster types.

    Having played a straight caster and summoner (pet class) I would reckon
    the later for soloers. That pet can be a lifesaver. Can keep mobs of
    you plus you have the bind option the straight casters have.
    Straight caster are better in groups though (better attacking magic)

    "Storm" <not@all.here> wrote in message news:4200de1f$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    > Hi all....
    >
    > Ive been out of EQ since hmm, sometime after LDON.
    >
    > Im sitting here downloading the 10 hour patch, and reading the manual.
    >
    > Question on servers...
    > Which of the servers offer PvP? I think I noticed in another post, there
    > are 4 of them. Differences between them? I did some pvp way back when,
    > briefly. I like the idea of Good vs Evil.
    >
    > Classes...I played a Shaman in EQ to the mid 50's. Also, played a druid
    as
    > well as mage to the 40's.
    >
    > Opinions on classes that are solo worthy?
    >
    > Also, any advice for a first time EQ2 player?
    >
    > Storm

    I played a shaman in EQ and I am playing a shaman in EQ2. They are very
    different in many ways, as is the game as a whole. So far, as the previous
    poster said, all classes appear to be soloable to a degree, and a shaman is
    no exception. The major difference in the game, is that no class can solo
    all the way to the top. It simply isn't possible given all of the Hallmark
    quests you must complete along the way, as many of them require a group to
    complete. The good news is that because everyone now requires groups that it
    is much easier to find a group when you need one.

    The really good thing about group vs. solo in EQ2 is that since most classes
    can solo with equal ease, there is always something to do even when you
    can't find a group. There are always easy, roaming MOB's about to bother
    while you are waiting for an invite. There are always soloable quests or
    portions of quests to complete, harvestable items to gather and exploring to
    do if you can't find a group right away.

    Storm wrote:

    > Opinions on classes that are solo worthy?

    I have a 27 paladin, and that subclass (follows from crusader
    class) appears to be rather strong for solo-ability. Among other
    benefits, paladins at level 20 get a summonable horse which serves
    as a sort of permanent SOW for escaping a losing fight.

    > Also, any advice for a first time EQ2 player?

    Two things:

    1) Decide early on to be a regular participant in the
    tradeskilling economy, which is far more robust than in EQ1. You
    can either decide to become a tradeskiller, or decide to become a
    serious harvester who supplies the tradeskillers. (I did the
    latter). In either case, this becomes a productive solo activity
    which you can do when you only have a half-hour to play or
    whatever. And in either case it can provide you a healthy cashflow
    in-game, and make you very popular in your guild if you join one.
    Your crafter/harvester level can keep pace nicely with your
    adventuring level, so that for example when you graduate to "Tier
    III" zones your harvesting skills are also graduating to "Tier
    III" harvests, etc.

    2) Constantly get quests, bunching them in whatever zone(s) you
    are mainly hunting in at any given level range. You can easily
    have things such that basically any mob you kill counts towards
    some quest or other. This allows you to be flexible about joining
    groups (people will advertise that they are building a group to
    kill a certain type of mob or do a certain quest). That in turn
    makes finding a good group fast and easy.

    Thanks folks for the tips/advice. :)

    Storm

Servers Video Games