Newbie to EQ2 Q's

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 2, 2005 12:01:53 PM

Hi all....

Ive been out of EQ since hmm, sometime after LDON.

Im sitting here downloading the 10 hour patch, and reading the manual.

Question on servers...
Which of the servers offer PvP? I think I noticed in another post, there
are 4 of them. Differences between them? I did some pvp way back when,
briefly. I like the idea of Good vs Evil.

Classes...I played a Shaman in EQ to the mid 50's. Also, played a druid as
well as mage to the 40's.

Opinions on classes that are solo worthy?

Also, any advice for a first time EQ2 player?

Storm

More about : newbie eq2

February 2, 2005 12:34:52 PM

"Storm" <not@all.here> wrote in message news:4200de1f$1_1@127.0.0.1...
> Hi all....
>
> Ive been out of EQ since hmm, sometime after LDON.
>
> Im sitting here downloading the 10 hour patch, and reading the manual.
>
> Question on servers...
> Which of the servers offer PvP? I think I noticed in another post, there
> are 4 of them. Differences between them? I did some pvp way back when,
> briefly. I like the idea of Good vs Evil.

As of now, there is no PvP in EQ2. There are hints of its possibility in
the future, but, at the time of this writing, none.

> Classes...I played a Shaman in EQ to the mid 50's. Also, played a druid
as
> well as mage to the 40's.
>
> Opinions on classes that are solo worthy?

I have not found a class that cannot be soloed to some extent. There are
none that can perform the ancient Druid technique known as "Quad-Kiting", so
that sort of thing is out, but my Bard, my Druid, and my Crusader all do
equally well soloing, though they must choose different prey, and I prefer
the Crusader for soloing so far. I cannot speak to the caster types.

> Also, any advice for a first time EQ2 player?

My first bit of advice is to do every quest that comes your way. I have
manged to get to and through level 10 and never leaving the inner zones.
The quest rewards are, even solo, well worth the efforts. If you research
them well, you can manage to do a good number of quests quickly by
consilidating your trips. Allakhazam, once again, seems to have the "goto"
site for item and quest information: http://eq2.allakhazam.com/.

While there are in game maps for the town and major outdoor zones (Antonica,
Commonlands, Nektulos and the like), I use The Tower of Dreams
http://www.gry-online.pl/eq2/index.asp. Getting around Qeynos, and I
presume that Freeport is similar, there are two things that are important to
remember and learn. The Mariner's Bell (Connects to almost all city zones),
and the "sewer". Qeynos calls it the Down Below, and Freeport calls it
Theives Way, but these sewers connect ALL of the city zones. They also make
it possible for someone from the opposing City to enter their antagonist's
inner sanctum (Took my Qeynos Druid through the sewers last night and got a
close look at North Freeport). You are safe there until a guard spots you.
He will "attack" you, and instantly port you back outside the city, no
damage, just a "Get the hell out of my city" thing.

Best of luck and enjoy. I know that I am.

Fingon, Eathan, Maelgwyn, all of Resolute on Lucan D'Lere
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 12:34:53 PM

>I cannot speak to the caster types.

Having played a straight caster and summoner (pet class) I would reckon
the later for soloers. That pet can be a lifesaver. Can keep mobs of
you plus you have the bind option the straight casters have.
Straight caster are better in groups though (better attacking magic)
February 2, 2005 6:38:53 PM

"Storm" <not@all.here> wrote in message news:4200de1f$1_1@127.0.0.1...
> Hi all....
>
> Ive been out of EQ since hmm, sometime after LDON.
>
> Im sitting here downloading the 10 hour patch, and reading the manual.
>
> Question on servers...
> Which of the servers offer PvP? I think I noticed in another post, there
> are 4 of them. Differences between them? I did some pvp way back when,
> briefly. I like the idea of Good vs Evil.
>
> Classes...I played a Shaman in EQ to the mid 50's. Also, played a druid
as
> well as mage to the 40's.
>
> Opinions on classes that are solo worthy?
>
> Also, any advice for a first time EQ2 player?
>
> Storm

I played a shaman in EQ and I am playing a shaman in EQ2. They are very
different in many ways, as is the game as a whole. So far, as the previous
poster said, all classes appear to be soloable to a degree, and a shaman is
no exception. The major difference in the game, is that no class can solo
all the way to the top. It simply isn't possible given all of the Hallmark
quests you must complete along the way, as many of them require a group to
complete. The good news is that because everyone now requires groups that it
is much easier to find a group when you need one.

The really good thing about group vs. solo in EQ2 is that since most classes
can solo with equal ease, there is always something to do even when you
can't find a group. There are always easy, roaming MOB's about to bother
while you are waiting for an invite. There are always soloable quests or
portions of quests to complete, harvestable items to gather and exploring to
do if you can't find a group right away.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:10:57 AM

Storm wrote:

> Opinions on classes that are solo worthy?

I have a 27 paladin, and that subclass (follows from crusader
class) appears to be rather strong for solo-ability. Among other
benefits, paladins at level 20 get a summonable horse which serves
as a sort of permanent SOW for escaping a losing fight.

> Also, any advice for a first time EQ2 player?

Two things:

1) Decide early on to be a regular participant in the
tradeskilling economy, which is far more robust than in EQ1. You
can either decide to become a tradeskiller, or decide to become a
serious harvester who supplies the tradeskillers. (I did the
latter). In either case, this becomes a productive solo activity
which you can do when you only have a half-hour to play or
whatever. And in either case it can provide you a healthy cashflow
in-game, and make you very popular in your guild if you join one.
Your crafter/harvester level can keep pace nicely with your
adventuring level, so that for example when you graduate to "Tier
III" zones your harvesting skills are also graduating to "Tier
III" harvests, etc.

2) Constantly get quests, bunching them in whatever zone(s) you
are mainly hunting in at any given level range. You can easily
have things such that basically any mob you kill counts towards
some quest or other. This allows you to be flexible about joining
groups (people will advertise that they are building a group to
kill a certain type of mob or do a certain quest). That in turn
makes finding a good group fast and easy.
February 3, 2005 3:24:00 PM

Thanks folks for the tips/advice. :)

Storm