PII 350 at 392 does not work on Asus P2BF!!??!

G

Mhhh... on every article or forum they say it works setting the fsb to 112 and running the 350 at 392...I boot and everything seems fine,but as windows 98 is loaded the system freezes and only the hd-drives "ticks" sometimes...
160MB / Banshee PCI / SB-Live value / Maxtor 13 gig 5400 / Advance 2941 SCSI / Audiowerk 2 ( HD-recording Card).

G

you have to remember that PIIs where really hard to o/c because of the L2 cache. you might not be able to o/c yours at all

G

what have the L2 cache to do with that??
why can all the other´s overclock it??

G

The L2 cache in these "old" Katmai PII´s is different for each CPU. The cache is not integrated in the core of the processor, but consists of external chips with different speed. (Why do you think the CPU´s come in a big black box? ;-) The faster the CPU, the faster L2-cache chips are needed. They are expensive, and dont have much headroom to make overclocking, as Intel only uses chips that are JUST good enough for the rated speed.

Example: My old PII 333 ran for 3 years at 416. -And that was even pretty GOOD for a PII. But if I disabled the L2 cache I could raise the speed up to 500! (That was in the good old days when Intel still ddint use multiplier-locks! <sigh> :)

Henrik

-The Dane In Spain-
cel600@945