Real CPU temp

SebNukem

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001
Hello all,

I have a A7V + Tbird1.1, not yet overclocked. I have a conflict of CPU temp reports. My 1004d BIOS reports 48C and the AsusProbe V2.12.03 reports 58C. Which one should I trust? Why this difference?

Thank you

Sebastien

G

NO, Probe 2.12 does not work incorrectly.

They implemeted a +10C for accuracy purposes to help compensate socket-thermistor under-reads. If anything, temps you get from probe 2.12 will be far closer to actual cpu temp than MBM or an earlier probe.

Not that the compensation solves socket-A temp problems. Temp changes are still compressed, etc, but you will get a better "approximation" of cpu core temp.

See sig for more details,
Mike

<A HREF="http://mikewarrior.freeservers.com" target="_new">Socket A MB Temp problems</A>

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So you are saying that the bios temp reading is incorrect?
If that is true, why don't they fix it in the bios instead of the probe software?
Also that would mean that my actual chip temp is between 50 and 55C at idle with Arctic Silver and the GlobalWin FOP32.
Sorry, I just can't believe that.
Other boards like the Abit are getting max temps that never get into the 40s with less cooling.

G

Because they do fix the bios as well... they implement a +10 already in abit bios, then asus has implemented a +8 in the A7vs.

Now, on the subject of temps, let's look at a couple of examples. A 1.ghz 1.85V t-bird puts out about 60W of heat at load.

AN FOP32-1 is around .40 C/W(varies based on grease, but about .38 or so lapped and with AS). With that, your CPU should be running around(max running) 24C over ambient case temp(not room temp). But what is your full load temp? That's the important temp, not your idle.

The kt7's you see not hitting 40C are a result of either Thermistors that aren't touching cpu back or older bios'.

As you'll see on the net, you can see c-orbs running 1.1ghz t-birds at 34C(which is impossible, save for a ambient case temp of 0C).

Needless to say, socket-thermistor temps are almost always low, hence why boht abit/asus implemented + compensations in later bios'. THe compensations help, but at high overclocks still push the effectiveness of these compensations.

See my sig for more info.

Mike
P.S. They can't fix the readings, because htey are measuring at a secondary heat pathway that measures only a percentage of CPU core temp change.

<A HREF="http://mikewarrior.freeservers.com" target="_new">Socket A MB Temp problems</A>

G

Its not about arguing... I'm trying to spread a message, i don't do it for personal gain.

But the fact that websites are taking the "easy" way out, and using dumb excuses is pretty disconcerting. Just take the temps as a "meter" for overheating and not be overly concerned because the temps are inaccurate. ANd definately take any temp "survey" with socket A chips with a major grain of salt.

Mike