Its so loud!!!

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just got an FOP-38 and the thing is super loud. My dad heard it from another room and walked in to see what the noise was about. Sounds almost like a small remote control jet plane. Is it possible mine is defective? I know they are supposed to be somewhat loud but i had no idea it was THIS loud. also is there a spray or lube I can put in the fan to quiet it down? like WD40 or silicone spray?

G

DO NOT SPRAY ANY LUBRICANT ON THE FAN!!!! Yes, this fan and heatsink setup is historically loud. If you read deeper in this post you will find people complaining of the noise! If you take the fan off of the Heatsink and listen to it by itself running, it is loud, even louder mounted on the heatsink. The fans usually run in the 6000-7000rpm range, which is very fast for a 12v fan of that size, but that fan does move the air, which is why it is so effective at cooling. I would recommend putting a slightly smaller fan on the heatsink to reduce noise, but of course this will reduce cooling capability somewhat.

G

Heh heh, yeah, I have one of those too. I sure can't sleep with it on. It works pretty good, though.

Greg

Duron 700@900 Asus A7V 1003
128mb PC100 WD 30gig ata 100
prophet II mx

G

The noise has been described as similar to that of a running vacuum cleaner.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
But say your fan dies- with a case full of fans it may be hard to notice when one chip fan shuts off, but you'll know when that one stops.

"Are you saying that I can dodge bullets?"