Att Alan Morris (printer problem revisited)

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Alan,

Been a bit busy and this became a less urgent issue, but
I have to look at it again now. The computer is Windows
XP, the password option does not actually come up. We
are running off a Windows 2000 network with Exchange
2000. The printers are many and varied from HP, Kyocera,
Ricoh, you name it, we've got one of them. I'm having
trouble with setting up all of them. It is okay if I add
them normally to the computer through the network, the
problem only occurs when I am trying to add them as
default printers for when I set up new users. At the
moment if I set up a printer and add it to the default
user through the registry editor, and then create a new
user and try and edit the printing preferences I get
errors about the operation not working and messages about
the printer spooler is not running, when I know for a
fact that it is. Suggestions?

Regards
Greg

I am not sure how you are adding the printer using the registry. Can you
give a description of how you accomplish this?

When you state Windows 2000 network you mean the domain controllers are
Win2k correct?

How does the driver get installed for the printer when you are using the
registry to add the device (connection?).

thanks

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Greg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Alan,
>
> Been a bit busy and this became a less urgent issue, but
> I have to look at it again now. The computer is Windows
> XP, the password option does not actually come up. We
> are running off a Windows 2000 network with Exchange
> 2000. The printers are many and varied from HP, Kyocera,
> Ricoh, you name it, we've got one of them. I'm having
> trouble with setting up all of them. It is okay if I add
> them normally to the computer through the network, the
> problem only occurs when I am trying to add them as
> default printers for when I set up new users. At the
> moment if I set up a printer and add it to the default
> user through the registry editor, and then create a new
> user and try and edit the printing preferences I get
> errors about the operation not working and messages about
> the printer spooler is not running, when I know for a
> fact that it is. Suggestions?
>
> Regards
> Greg

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Alan,

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 307016. I followed
the instructions in that. I have since also found
another way of doing it which is a little easier at

But regardless of the method I get the same result. By
Windows 2000 I do mean the domain controllers. As far as
both explanations go there is no mention of drivers. Is
there a way of manually installing the drivers without
adding the printer? I mean, this sounds like a really
simple operation and something that really should be
easily achieved but seems to great all sorts of
nightmares.

confers no rights.