Newbie needs advice

simtis

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Im trying to OC my T-Bird 800 but i must be doing something wrong. I used the HB pencil across each of the L1 Bridges, set the dip switches for 8.5 Mult but system wouldn't boot. Cleaned the chip and tried it again, same results. Im not sure if im getting enough graphite on the connectors. Im giving it about 4-5 passes per bridge. Voltage is set at 1.75

FOP-32 w/arctic silver
A-Open AK-73 Pro
128M PC133 Corsiar CL2

Is there a trick to using the pencil?

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sounds like there is some other issue causing your problem. Even if the L1 bridges aren't connected, it should still boot in default. Check the little stuff out again. CPU in all the way, RAM in the proper DIMM slots, cards in all the way, power supply hooked up right. I have seen the pencil trick work fine without any special attention.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

simtis

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You say if i dont have the L1 bridges connected correctly and i set the dip switch to 8.5 multiplier it should still boot to default. I thought when i moved the dip switches from the default to the 8.5 Mult it would force 8.5 and if that didn't work then it simply wouldn't boot. I guess I should read up a bit more.

Everything is working fine now with the Dip switches returned to default(allowing auto detect).

Thanks

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey mp, are you in Canada? If so, i was wondering where you got your ddr boards and which one you like better...
thanks

simtis

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK, got it to work by raising the voltage. Worked great @ 900 and again @1000. Now i seem to have other issues..Maybe i should post to a different thread but ill try here. My system locks up when i am using the internet. Cable modem. I think it may be because my Video card and Nic are sharing IRQ's. Does this sound like a problem. How can i correct this. My bios is currently set to auto assign IRQ's. better end this before it locks. Usually takes a couple minutes.

mpjesse

Splendid
Canada? Nooo... The boards were given to the govt. from IWill and Gigabyte direct. They're reference boards. One of the perks of my job is i get to play with all the new stuff. You have no idea what I get my hands on. =)

-MP Jesse

G

<b>You have no idea what I get my hands on. =)</b>

Hey MP, if you ever get your hands on one of those nuclear powered army tanks that can travel at 60 MPH, let me know. I've been dreaming of one for years to make the commute to and from work a little quicker and more <i>satisfying</i>.

Mike

mpjesse

Splendid
Ahhh... yes, the M1A2. Deadly machine. However, Gen Shinsiki is getting rid of those. The Army is using a 6 wheeled vehicle to replace it. We've adopted them from the canadians of all people. Anyhow, that's the general ballpark in which i deal with. Except, I deal with more law enforcement technology.

-MP Jesse

G

try moving your nic to a different pci slot you cant change which pci (and agp) slots that share irqs ie. agp and pci slot 1 always share an irq

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?

G

what os are you running is it 9x or NT kernel? and what ver of IE?

G

tanks for the info!
also i bet he could get his t-bird to screaming fast velocity if it was fired from the barrel of a cannon!

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?

simtis

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe this was the wrong thing to do but i did it. I went into bios and reserved the IRQ that the Nic and Agp were sharing and rebooted. the one i reserved was then assigned to my sound card and the agp and nic cards each got separate irq's. Seemed to work for now.

Win 98