Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Good 4 BF3? / PC Problem

Last response: in Video Games
March 20, 2012 8:12:59 PM

Got BF3 back in feburary and never got to play due to origins giving me the error "Invaild License. Reason code = Missing DLL: dxgi.dll Function. CreateDXGIFactory" whenever I started the game, I installed origins from the site and the game off the retail disk.

Desktop Specs

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT - 2 GB

Memory:
3070MB RAM

Operating System:
Windows Vista™ Home Premium SP1

People are saying its because I don't have sp2, so I manually installed it but it always failed, so I went back in a restore point and now installing all the important updates in windows update. ( all from word 2007 ) In hopes it will automatically download sp2.

If that doesn't work, could I run and play bf3 mp on my laptop?

Laptop Specs

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz

GeForce GT 540M 1gb

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Canyourunit.com says I pass minimum, but want to double check before wasting my internet cap on installing updates.

Thanks ^^
March 21, 2012 11:45:04 AM

unlikely, ~30 fps on low preset.
m
l
March 21, 2012 8:37:38 PM

would getting windows 7 64 bit fix it?
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2012 8:56:18 PM

not really the gpu is weak for BF3, the CPU is good enough (just in my opinion).

watch out for heat, it works a gpu hard, and you will have heat issues.

It would be better to buy a GPU for that desktop and use the quad. I'm on a Q9550 (a but faster and a GTX470, and I can get decent frame rates at decent quality. 3GB is just about oK. have a look here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-revi... to see whats a affordable and 4+ brackets above where you are now.

Not really sure why its not working as is though. latest nvidia drivers?
m
l
March 21, 2012 8:58:36 PM

Are you running vista or win7? ^

Im hearing that its because my card uses dx10 and i need to get sp2 or win7 sp1 for it to use dx11 software...
m
l
March 22, 2012 1:31:40 PM

if your card doesn't support DX11 getting new OS doesn't add new features to your GPU. Neither does getting new OS improve the computational capabilities of your GPU.

So bottom line: desktop - maybe low settings
laptop - probably low settings

If you wish to play BF3 at high visual fidelity you will have to spend money
m
l
March 22, 2012 8:36:42 PM

my problem is "Invaild License. Reason code = Missing DLL: dxgi.dll Function. CreateDXGIFactory"

which is telling me there is some problem with directx, im hearing that either getting sp2 or win7 will get dx11 with some kind of dx10 emulation. sp2 is failing when i manually install and windows update never pops it up
m
l
!