wireless 1st time

Hi folks, got a problem with my wireless network I am 'trying' to set up.
I have an ADSL BT modem which is connected to my pc via USB and connected to
the main phone line via a Micro Filter.
My dad's pc is downstairs and I am trying to get his to share my broadband
connection via wireless.
I have installed a D-Link Wireless PCI Card into his pc and mine and they
work fine. I have also connected a D-Link DSL-902 54Mbps Wireless ADSL
Router DSL-G604T via Ethernet cable to my internal NIC port, and everything
looks ok.
But the instruction book says I have to connect the ADSL connector to the
router but I cannot see how this can work as there is no ADSL connection
from my pc into the main phone line now.
Am I missing something here or do I need another cable somewhere?
Hope someone understands what I mean and can help me finish this as it is
driving me bonkers!
TIA

Wi-Fi Newbie
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless time

    > I have an ADSL BT modem which is connected to my pc via USB and connected to
    > the main phone line via a Micro Filter.

    That's the problem. Sounds to me like you have one of those little BT
    modems which only has USB?

    If that's the case, just junk it and replace it with the Dlink DSL902
    then connect both your machine and your fathers via wireless to the new
    router.

    You have the right bits, you're just plugging them into the wrong place.

    > work fine. I have also connected a D-Link DSL-902 54Mbps Wireless ADSL
    > Router DSL-G604T via Ethernet cable to my internal NIC port, and everything
    > looks ok.

    Yep, it'll look ok but just not right. You could do it this way by
    using internet connection sharing but trust me, don't bother, you have
    all you need if you connect it up right.

    > But the instruction book says I have to connect the ADSL connector to the
    > router but I cannot see how this can work as there is no ADSL connection
    > from my pc into the main phone line now.

    Quite, remove the BT modem and plug the Dlink into the ADSL port in the
    phone line via the microfilter. You could connect your PC to the router
    via a wired connection if it suits you better.

    David.

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 11:22:18 GMT, "Davie B" <davieb115@hotmail.com(no
    spam)> wrote:

    >Hi folks, got a problem with my wireless network I am 'trying' to set up.
    >I have an ADSL BT modem which is connected to my pc via USB and connected to
    >the main phone line via a Micro Filter.
    >My dad's pc is downstairs and I am trying to get his to share my broadband
    >connection via wireless.
    >I have installed a D-Link Wireless PCI Card into his pc and mine and they
    >work fine. I have also connected a D-Link DSL-902 54Mbps Wireless ADSL
    >Router DSL-G604T via Ethernet cable to my internal NIC port, and everything
    >looks ok.
    >But the instruction book says I have to connect the ADSL connector to the
    >router but I cannot see how this can work as there is no ADSL connection
    >from my pc into the main phone line now.
    The ADSL connector will connect the router to the phone line.The
    router will handle the connection to broadband. You and your dad then
    share the broadband signal on the router.

    http://www.yourcomputerdepartment.co.uk/domestic/images/adsl_wireless.gif

    HTH

    >Am I missing something here or do I need another cable somewhere?
    >Hope someone understands what I mean and can help me finish this as it is
    >driving me bonkers!
    >TIA
    >
    >Wi-Fi Newbie

    Web Design for Wise Owls - www.WiseWebs.co.uk

Wireless Wireless Network Connection Wireless Networking