Apple Launching Mac App Store on January 6, '11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
It's a good concept. Many Linux distro's, especially Ubuntu, have used some sort of app store and I love it.

The only problem is that it will make Apple even wealthier and thus even more arrogant...

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
While it's not a new or unique concept, it's a good idea. I love the convenience of Steam. Seems like the Mac App Store works the same. Buy once and use it on all the computers you own. Automatic updates are nice too.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I hope Microsoft follow suite with Windows 8 and ideally the next Windows 7 service pack, except don't make it as closed and controlled as Apple no doubt will. Something more akin to Synaptic but some sort of quality control or rating process just to filter out the very worst apps.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]malphas[/nom]I hope Microsoft follow suite with Windows 8 and ideally the next Windows 7 service pack, except don't make it as closed and controlled as Apple no doubt will. Something more akin to Synaptic but some sort of quality control or rating process just to filter out the very worst apps.[/citation]

Its called a website... download.com, tucows.com, sourceforge.net etc.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I'm aware there are websites, that's actually exact the kind of quality control mechanisms I had in mind. The blatantly obvious difference here however is an appstore can be integrated into the OS and provide a cleaner, faster, more user-friendly - and potentially safer - service than an ad-laden website(s). As well as tying in other benefits in the future, like combining automatic program updates with the Windows Update feature.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Is this a handy solution to volume licensing issues? Now a school can have the IT guy set up one Mac App Store account, buy an app, and all 200 machines in the school will have access to it. Brilliant! (er wait no...)

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I wish Santa will deliver me an iMacs this Christmas - I don't mind if the Mac App Store will personal hand it to me. Thank you and Merry Christmas tom.

RisnDevil

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
If the Mac App Store has the same storefront, support, and capabilities as the mobile App Store, we may finally see gaming come (back) to Macs in full force. Games sell more than anything else on the App Store, and I only see that reflect in the desktop store. I just hope Apple doesn't choke it down, and allows for "freedom of content".

Status
Not open for further replies.