Sign in with
Your question

Dead Island overheating my cpu

Last response: in Video Games
March 21, 2012 1:16:44 AM

Ok I got Dead Island yesterday, once i started playing 10 minutes into the game my temps on my cpu go up into the high 90's, like 97/98, so i instantly turn off the game and my temps go back down to normal. I can play Battlefield 3 on my pc in high/ultra and get 60 fps, and its never done this to my cpu. My pc is about a month old, and i play all types of games on it from bf3 to skyrim to WoW. but only dead island causing my cpu to run at extreme temps. My pc build is:
asrock extreme4 gen 3 mobo
evga gtx 570 graphics card factory superclocked
core i5-2500k cpu
16gb of 1600mhz ram
a ocz 500w power supply
antec 902 case

why is this game doing this to my pc, and how do i stop it? I've looked all over the forums and no one seems to be able to give a clear fix. plz help me
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 4:34:35 AM

I've seen this problem with others too. Looks like there isn't really a good fix for it.
Is your game patched?
m
l
March 21, 2012 7:06:17 AM

I faced the same issue with my 470. Only, mine crossed 100 and that's what got me very worried. For your 570, the threshold I believe is at 93-95, correct? If you're really too pressed on playing that game, you're gonna have to provide adequate additional cooling for the card (fans, heatsinks, etc).

Have you tried creating a fan profile for the GPU? I made a fan profile with MSI's afterburner software which allowed me to define the speeds of the fan at different temp's. I'm presuming that EVGA will have a similar software. I still feel the temp's are way too high for a 570.

You can also try by reducing the graphics details on the game. I'm afraid just like the Gman above said, there really isn't a good fix for the problem.
m
l
Related resources
a c 117 à CPUs
March 21, 2012 7:47:49 AM

might help if you go back and re-read his problem. its the cpu he is on about...

OP. open the case and make sure the cpu heat sync is properly attached. if not lock it down properly. this should instantly fix the issue... if its not the HSF on the cpu then i would recommend you go into bios and load optimized defaults. and for now turn off turbo boost.
1s done start the game and see if the cpu temp climbs again... if its as it should be 50'c or there abouts then turn turb back on and see what happens... if your temps are still fine then you need to run a prime 95 test. run cpu-z along side it and check the voltages as the test runs... if the volts go to high then you need to reduce the turbo mode to standard not performance or full turbo... as it sounds like your motherboard may be getting to aggressive with the voltages... if this is the case then you need a bio update from the motherboards manufacturer...

some simple tips.
make sure the case and vents are dust free. make sure your fans are working at the correct speeds. swap out your stock cooler for a decent 3rd party cooler. as this will allow better cooling and increase your safety margin for thermals.
m
l
March 21, 2012 7:56:46 AM

HEXiT said:
might help if you go back and re-read his problem. its the cpu he is on about...

My bad there!! Dunno why I read CPU as GPU. :o 
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 10:58:19 AM

namelessonez said:
My bad there!! Dunno why I read CPU as GPU. :o 

You just misread 'C' as 'G'.
m
l
March 21, 2012 1:55:58 PM

Ok, like I said before, THIS IS THE ONLY GAME IT HAPPENDS WITH. I play games all day everyday. I play some of the most graphic intense games like battlefield 3, skyrim, and so on, only dead island crushes my cpu, i have an aftyer market cooling that i forgot to mention called a hyper 212 evo, everything on my pc is working perfectly and dust free.

ALSO how do i patch/know is my game is patched?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 2:05:56 PM

onlyxwishes said:
Ok, like I said before, THIS IS THE ONLY GAME IT HAPPENDS WITH. I play games all day everyday. I play some of the most graphic intense games like battlefield 3, skyrim, and so on, only dead island crushes my cpu, i have an aftyer market cooling that i forgot to mention called a hyper 212 evo, everything on my pc is working perfectly and dust free.

ALSO how do i patch/know is my game is patched?

Right click on your Dead Island.exe and check the game version. The latest is v1.3.
m
l
March 21, 2012 2:35:52 PM

Gman450 said:
Right click on your Dead Island.exe and check the game version. The latest is v1.3.

Ok im running 1.0, how do i patch my game???????
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 3:54:09 PM

onlyxwishes said:
Ok im running 1.0, how do i patch my game???????

Update the game through Steam.
m
l
March 21, 2012 4:04:10 PM

can you give me a step by step? im completely at a loss on how to do that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 4:06:30 PM

I don't do steam. I prefer retail disks than steam.
But usually, updates are done automatically. Check if you haven't turned it off in the settings.
m
l
March 21, 2012 4:17:56 PM

i dont see an option to update, i added the game to steam as a non-steam game. but i go into the game settings and see no option to update
m
l
March 21, 2012 4:20:13 PM

Steam should update games automatically. You can also right click the game go to properties I think in steam and make sure it updated. Dead island is a great game but gives people alot of headaches. It's the only game out of like the 50 I own that has giving me BSOD. It's frozen on me, crashed, had framerate issues and cause BSOD twice for no reason. The game is just really buggy and wasn't optimized right. The best thing for you to do is just make sure everything on your computer is up to date and hope for the best to be honest. It's a shame because the game is fun.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 4:23:04 PM

The game does seem really fun. I used to have this game when I had my old 8400GS. But it was just too laggy. I've never tried it on my GTS450. I should really try it, but I'm already trying to finish a few before I hit it up again.
Oh and OP, sorry for moving out of topic...
m
l
March 21, 2012 4:43:26 PM

is there any problems on the xbox version??????
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
March 21, 2012 4:53:06 PM

steam will only update steam bought and steam installed games.game to steam wont let you get its updates. you will have to go to a 3rd party site like game front

and get your updates from there. i use it for every game i have if it doesnt already update.....
*edit

hmm it seems the patch is only available on steam. so you will have to use the steam installer. then 1s the game is fully activated and intergrated into steam you will then be able to get the patch even if you have a disk version.
m
l
March 21, 2012 5:23:44 PM

Idk about the Xbox. But I Played it on the ps3 before I tried playing it on the pc. The game looks alot better on the pc but trying to get it to run great is horrible. The ps3 has some of the same issues just not as bad. It froze on me a few times and has al
m
l
March 21, 2012 5:28:18 PM

Idk about the Xbox. But I Played it on the ps3 before I tried playing it on the pc. The game looks alot better on the pc and has less bugs but trying to get it to run great is horrible. The ps3 has some of the same issues just not as bad. It froze on me a few times and has alot of bugs but at least it runs better. If you can get it to run right the game is worth playing I beat it single player on the ps3. The only reason I grabbed it for pc is because it was 10 dollars and I never tried coop. If you can't get it to run right on your pc I would try it on Xbox.
m
l
March 23, 2012 9:59:58 PM

Ive tried everything, still no one can tell me how to run dead island with it making my processor temp hit 98 dgrees Celsius? im running v1.3 with v-sync on and everything but it still overheats.
m
l
March 24, 2012 1:09:36 AM

onlyxwishes said:
Ive tried everything, still no one can tell me how to run dead island with it making my processor temp hit 98 dgrees Celsius? im running v1.3 with v-sync on and everything but it still overheats.

I dont think anyone honestly has an answer for you. The only thing we can say is make sure your game is patched and up to date. Dead Island is a great game but it runs like crap. I didnt have my CPU over heat but i had everything else happen with that game. Im in the same boat as you everything else runs great with no problems. The problem with dead island is it was made by a "no-name" studio. They went big and made a great game they just didnt have the experience to make it run right or fix it for that matter once it was released. Not alot of people gave the game a chance since it still is kind of a "unknown gem" type of game. So the community wasn't there to fix the bugs and support the game so it never got fixed. I would recommend going to a dead island fan forum if there still is any that are active and express your problem to them. One of them might be able to help you. If not, the try and fix the problem yourself or buy it for the xbox. Even with all the bugs its a great game, i wouldnt say go though all this trouble trying to get it to run if the game wasnt worth a play though. I highely recommend it if you can get it to run. I had a blast with it, when it first came out on the ps3. I bought it for the pc to play though it again but its just to messed up on the pc.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 2:50:01 AM

Dead Island has got lots of bugs in it. If the patches didn't work, I think it's best you don't play the game. I wouldn't want to damage my CPU in such a case, just to play one game.
m
l
!