Network Printing

mark

I am having the same problem with network printing both at
home and at work. The problem occurs with both 2000 & XP

At home I have a printer connected to a wireless print
server and I
use it via the network. Everything works just fine, but
every now and
again I have to turn off the printer and turn it back on
or I will get
the typical Windows error that the document failed to
print??

At work I have 13 printers located in 4 different offices,
each is
assigned it's own static IP and all I do is add each
printer with a
TCP/IP port. Things work ok, for the most part, but once
again, every
now and again documents don't print, they just disappear
in the
network. I mean they make it through the local queue but
never come
out the printer.

There has to be something that I'm just not clued in on.
What makes
it difficult to troubleshoot is it's lack of consistency,
I just can't
seem to pinpoint anything that I can factually say causes
the issue?

Any suggestions or ideas would be grealty appreciated!!

If the printer supports LPD, when the problem occurs, use the lpq command to
query the print device.

lpq -S 111.111.111.111 -P raw

E:\>lpq -S 10.198.8.23 -P raw
JetDirect lpd: no entries

E:\>lpq -S 10.198.8.72 -P raw
no entries

E:\>lpq -S 157.56.27.17 -P LPT1_PASSTHRU
no entries
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team