Battlefield 3 or Modern warfare 3

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Gtx
  • Battlefield
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
March 21, 2012 3:39:53 AM

hey all! i am getting a brand new gtx 560 ti ds ssc video card and i know there have been alot of these but i would like to make one for my self. i am more leaning on getting battlefield 3 but then again my machine isnt that good so thats when mw3 comes in to the show. anyhelp would be appreciated!!

another question off hand is that since i have an old machine i want to know what settings i would be able to play at in both games

SPECS:

CPU: dual intel xeon 5130 @ 2.00 ghz

GPU: gtx 560 ti ds ssc

RAM: 8gb (i might be getting 16gb soon)

PSU: 575 watt

More about : battlefield modern warfare

March 21, 2012 3:49:17 AM

You'd be able play both games fine, especially MW3, since that game uses the very same engine as the first Modern Warfare, released a few years back. The only difference is that it's been modified.
At what resolution are you gaming at?

I'd say you can run Battlefield 3 at 1080p with settings turned from High/Ultra with no AA and still get decent FPS.
The SP in BF3 is kind of linear and not well worth IMO.
I'm not sure of the SP in MW3, cause I've yet to play it.
The MP in BF3 is the best part.
m
l
March 21, 2012 3:59:41 AM

Gman450 said:
You'd be able play both games fine, especially MW3, since that game uses the very same engine as the first Modern Warfare, released a few years back. The only difference is that it's been modified.
At what resolution are you gaming at?

I'd say you can run Battlefield 3 at 1080p with settings turned from High/Ultra with no AA and still get decent FPS.
The SP in BF3 is kind of linear and not well worth IMO.
I'm not sure of the SP in MW3, cause I've yet to play it.
The MP in BF3 is the best part.

WOW thanks so much! i am playing at a lower resolution (1280x1024) but i will be picking up a 1080p monitor some time in the future. another question that i have is what monitor should i get i would like to keep it under $200. from the res that i am playing at right now would i be able to turn on AA if so how much and what would be the fps drop?

thanks in advance
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2012 4:09:52 AM

your cpu is a little clunky but its a grind unit. if i could i would bump it to 3ghz and see the real meat of it. recommended for your gpu is high settings not ultra. although at ultra theres only a marginal difference for a very high gpu cost. but the cpu is the real issue. it really needs to be at 2.4 ghz yes its a xeon but that just means its can run faster and cooler than its i7 counterparts. it doesnt mean its necisarily a better gaming part... for gaming its raw speed thats most important and your cpu although very nice doesnt have a lot of it. so some games would appear clunky and laggy when theres no need for em to be, if you bump the clocks.

on mw4 theres little impact on performance with fsaa maybe 6-7 fps at 4xaa so you should still manage over 60 minimum.
bf3 will need a lot more tweaking. on avaerage you will be able to run at high and stay above 60 fps but you will have dips when you get to certain maps or areas of maps... so you may be better running at lower overall settings with maximum rez and textures... this way you will see everything but wont get drown out by smoke and shadows.
m
l
March 21, 2012 4:30:37 AM

zathador114 said:
WOW thanks so much! i am playing at a lower resolution (1280x1024) but i will be picking up a 1080p monitor some time in the future. another question that i have is what monitor should i get i would like to keep it under $200. from the res that i am playing at right now would i be able to turn on AA if so how much and what would be the fps drop?

thanks in advance

At your current res, I think you can turn on AA. There wouldn't be much of a performance drop. At 1080p, I'd recommend you turn down AA to nil.
m
l
March 21, 2012 4:42:02 AM

HEXiT said:
your cpu is a little clunky but its a grind unit. if i could i would bump it to 3ghz and see the real meat of it. recommended for your gpu is high settings not ultra. although at ultra theres only a marginal difference for a very high gpu cost. but the cpu is the real issue. it really needs to be at 2.4 ghz yes its a xeon but that just means its can run faster and cooler than its i7 counterparts. it doesnt mean its necisarily a better gaming part... for gaming its raw speed thats most important and your cpu although very nice doesnt have a lot of it. so some games would appear clunky and laggy when theres no need for em to be, if you bump the clocks.

on mw4 theres little impact on performance with fsaa maybe 6-7 fps at 4xaa so you should still manage over 60 minimum.
bf3 will need a lot more tweaking. on avaerage you will be able to run at high and stay above 60 fps but you will have dips when you get to certain maps or areas of maps... so you may be better running at lower overall settings with maximum rez and textures... this way you will see everything but wont get drown out by smoke and shadows.

thank you so much for your help. i know my cpu needs a bit more power so i was wondering what cpu over clocking utility i should use and what would be the best clocks for my cpu?
m
l
July 27, 2013 12:58:00 PM

zathador114 said:
hey all! i am getting a brand new gtx 560 ti ds ssc video card and i know there have been alot of these but i would like to make one for my self. i am more leaning on getting battlefield 3 but then again my machine isnt that good so thats when mw3 comes in to the show. anyhelp would be appreciated!!

another question off hand is that since i have an old machine i want to know what settings i would be able to play at in both games

SPECS:

CPU: dual intel xeon 5130 @ 2.00 ghz

GPU: gtx 560 ti ds ssc

RAM: 8gb (i might be getting 16gb soon)

PSU: 575 watt

I wouldn't bother upgrading your RAM to 16GB before beefing another part like the GPU or CPU. Maybe even the PSU since you will be over clocking you would be surprised how much more power you use when over clocking. You may also want to consider cooling options if you keep your set up just to keep everything cooler while over clocking them any one of those things would be better than bumping up extra RAM you don't really need just yet.
m
l
!