EQ2 First Time I've Been De-Guilded...

Well...

Here's the actual conversation in guild chat.

Me: I just soloed that bastard Lord Androus. It felt good to get him back
after all the deaths he caused me.
Pompous Guild Leader: HEY!
Me: What?
PGL: This is a family guild...
Me: bite me :p

I really thought she was kidding at this point. I mean 'bastard'? Is that
really what she's upset about??

Now in private tell

PGL: You are SO out of here
Me: Why?
PGL: You know why...

So she tosses me out of guild.

This guild was described as an adult guild when I joined. There is constant
sexual innuendo chat which no one seems to mind.
But she tosses me for saying 'bastard'...It's her guild and she makes the
rules, but c'mon...bastard???

28 Fury looking for new guild on Toxuilla :)

LoonBoon
20 answers Last reply
More about time guilded

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:34:39 -0500, "LoonBoon" <LCallis@nuvox.net>
    wrote:

    >This guild was described as an adult guild when I joined. There is constant
    >sexual innuendo chat which no one seems to mind.
    >But she tosses me for saying 'bastard'...It's her guild and she makes the
    >rules, but c'mon...bastard???

    I'm guessing you would have been fine if your response to the guild
    leader's objection hadn't been "bite me".

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Sympathy for the retailer:
    http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
    "Door's to your left" -Gord

    Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

    "Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:34:39 -0500, "LoonBoon" <LCallis@nuvox.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>This guild was described as an adult guild when I joined. There is
    >>constant
    >>sexual innuendo chat which no one seems to mind.
    >>But she tosses me for saying 'bastard'...It's her guild and she makes the
    >>rules, but c'mon...bastard???
    >
    > I'm guessing you would have been fine if your response to the guild
    > leader's objection hadn't been "bite me".
    >
    > --
    Yeah...I suppose so. I really thought she was kidding. And the little ":p"
    was supposed to indicate I was being playful back.

    LoonBoon wrote:

    > This guild was described as an adult guild when I joined. There is constant
    > sexual innuendo chat which no one seems to mind.
    > But she tosses me for saying 'bastard'...It's her guild and she makes the
    > rules, but c'mon...bastard???

    Well, you're right about it being her guild and her rules... but she
    also has a duty to make the rules very clear to her members, I feel. Is
    there a website anywhere that lists the guild's charter and rules? Has
    any mention of any rules been made at all? If she is making snap "this
    is wrong enough to toss you out" decisions then I think that her guild
    is going to suffer greatly for it. Sure, it might be funny to others
    when it happens to *you* (and I'm not saying it was), but how will they
    feel the next time someone, maybe a good friend of theirs, gets tossed
    out with as little deliberation or ceremony? It happens two or three
    times and everyone is going to feel a sword dangling over their heads.

    Saying "bastard" in guild chat doesn't seem bad to me, but we both
    agree that it is her right to call shots like this. Still, she could of
    handled it better. A simple tell to you of "Hey, I don't think that's
    appropriate language. I mean this guild to be kid friendly." might
    have gone a long way to let you know she was serious. Now, I don't
    think that it was terribly appropriate of you to say "Bite me" to your
    guild leader, and I think that response, rather than the word "bastard"
    is what got you kicked out. If she can't handle that word, the
    implications behind "bite me" probably sent her into a tail spin!

    On the whole, I think this was probably a good thing for you. Guild
    leaders need to have a cool head when dealing with members, and a bit of
    patience helps as well. Seems she was short on both counts. I doubt
    that her guild will flourish in the long run.

    --
    Annie

    AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
    http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm

    Mirrored at:
    http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm

    http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

    "LoonBoon" <LCallis@nuvox.net> wrote in message

    > But she tosses me for saying 'bastard'...It's her guild and she makes the
    > rules, but c'mon...bastard???

    Like some of the other respondents, I agree that it's probably a good thing
    for you to be out of that guild. I can't imagine anyone in a guild described
    as "adult" having a problem with calling a *mob* a "bastard". Sheesh. Sounds
    like someone was being way too sensitive. Maybe this was just a pretense for
    some other reason they wanted you out of the guild? That's often what drives
    seemingly arbitrary moves.

    And although there are plenty of leaders I've known with whom I would have
    felt perfectly comfortable saying "bite me", it doesn't appear that you knew
    this one well enough to take that risk, so you'd probably be best holding
    off doing this in the future (even with the emote) until you're confident
    you know the person better. ;-)

    Good luck finding a more suitable guild. They are out there.

    --
    Redbeard
    <Veritas>

    Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
    <Resolution, Retired>
    Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
    Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

    "Annie Benson Lennaman" <teapray@real.people.only.yahoo.com> wrote in
    message news:42011A8E.F223EA00@real.people.only.yahoo.com...

    > LoonBoon wrote:
    >
    > > This guild was described as an adult guild when I joined. There is
    constant
    > > sexual innuendo chat which no one seems to mind.
    > > But she tosses me for saying 'bastard'...It's her guild and she makes
    the
    > > rules, but c'mon...bastard???
    >
    > Well, you're right about it being her guild and her rules... but she
    > also has a duty to make the rules very clear to her members, I feel. Is
    > there a website anywhere that lists the guild's charter and rules? Has
    > any mention of any rules been made at all? If she is making snap "this
    > is wrong enough to toss you out" decisions then I think that her guild
    > is going to suffer greatly for it. Sure, it might be funny to others
    > when it happens to *you* (and I'm not saying it was), but how will they
    > feel the next time someone, maybe a good friend of theirs, gets tossed
    > out with as little deliberation or ceremony? It happens two or three
    > times and everyone is going to feel a sword dangling over their heads.
    >
    > Saying "bastard" in guild chat doesn't seem bad to me, but we both
    > agree that it is her right to call shots like this. Still, she could of
    > handled it better. A simple tell to you of "Hey, I don't think that's
    > appropriate language. I mean this guild to be kid friendly." might
    > have gone a long way to let you know she was serious. Now, I don't
    > think that it was terribly appropriate of you to say "Bite me" to your
    > guild leader, and I think that response, rather than the word "bastard"
    > is what got you kicked out. If she can't handle that word, the
    > implications behind "bite me" probably sent her into a tail spin!
    >
    > On the whole, I think this was probably a good thing for you. Guild
    > leaders need to have a cool head when dealing with members, and a bit of
    > patience helps as well. Seems she was short on both counts. I doubt
    > that her guild will flourish in the long run.
    >
    > --
    > Annie
    >
    > AGE EverQuest Live FAQ:
    > http://www.icynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
    >
    > Mirrored at:
    > http://webpages.charter.net/lenny13/age.faq.htm
    >
    > http://www.derfy.net/agefaq.html

    While I am not saying this story is in any way untrue, what we do not hear
    is if there had ever been any similar incidents in the past. Having been in
    a situation similar to this on more than one occasion, I can say that the
    removal from the guild was the result of a "last straw" type situation.

    In my case, the individual had been spoken to more than once about his
    behavior, in one case he had been killing both Misty Thicket guards and
    Ak'Anon guards, something that was specifically precluded in our charter.
    We were a "Good" guild and such actions reflected negatively on us as a
    whole. After repeated warnings, he refused because "the exp is TOO damn
    good!" So, he was removed. This person then proceeded to bad mouth the
    rest of us individually and as a group to anyone who would listen. So...

    While this may have been his first and only infraction, he, like many of us,
    may be putting the best spin on it he can to garner sympathy from the group
    and make himself feel better about what he brought upon himself.

    Now, Loon, before you get defensive, I am not saying that this is the case,
    just pointing out, for those of us who where not there and witness to the
    incident, that there may be another side to the story that we do not have.

    Just tossing another perspective into the pot.

    Fingon etal.

    > So she tosses me out of guild.
    >
    > This guild was described as an adult guild when I joined. There is
    > constant sexual innuendo chat which no one seems to mind.
    > But she tosses me for saying 'bastard'...It's her guild and she makes the
    > rules, but c'mon...bastard???

    lol, dont worry about it. I've decided to avoid all guilds in EQ2, there are
    way to many power mad leaders out there who seem to think they are running a
    gulag and not playing a game.

    "LoonBoon" <LCallis@nuvox.net> wrote:

    >But she tosses me for saying 'bastard'...It's her guild and she
    >makes the rules, but c'mon...bastard???

    Given what you've written here, I'd say you're clearly coming out well
    ahead by not being in her guild any more.

    --
    Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
    www.lokari.net

    "LoonBoon" <LCallis@nuvox.net> wrote in

    > Well...
    >
    > Here's the actual conversation in guild chat.
    >
    > Me: I just soloed that bastard Lord Androus. It felt good to get him
    > back after all the deaths he caused me.
    > Pompous Guild Leader: HEY!
    > Me: What?
    > PGL: This is a family guild...
    > Me: bite me :p
    >
    > I really thought she was kidding at this point. I mean 'bastard'? Is
    > that really what she's upset about??
    >
    > Now in private tell
    >
    > PGL: You are SO out of here
    > Me: Why?
    > PGL: You know why...
    >
    > So she tosses me out of guild.
    >
    > This guild was described as an adult guild when I joined. There is
    > constant sexual innuendo chat which no one seems to mind.
    > But she tosses me for saying 'bastard'...It's her guild and she makes
    > the rules, but c'mon...bastard???
    >
    > 28 Fury looking for new guild on Toxuilla :)

    Sounds like you are better off for having been deguilded from that
    particular guild, good luck finding a decent guild.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 23 Dwarven Mystic, 21 Sage
    Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 14 Craftsman

    "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > "LoonBoon" <LCallis@nuvox.net> wrote in
    >
    >> Well...
    >>
    >> Here's the actual conversation in guild chat.
    >>
    >> Me: I just soloed that bastard Lord Androus. It felt good to get him
    >> back after all the deaths he caused me.
    >> Pompous Guild Leader: HEY!
    >> Me: What?
    >> PGL: This is a family guild...
    >> Me: bite me :p
    >>
    >> I really thought she was kidding at this point. I mean 'bastard'? Is
    >> that really what she's upset about??
    >>
    >> Now in private tell
    >>
    >> PGL: You are SO out of here
    >> Me: Why?
    >> PGL: You know why...
    >>
    >> So she tosses me out of guild.
    >>
    >> This guild was described as an adult guild when I joined. There is
    >> constant sexual innuendo chat which no one seems to mind.
    >> But she tosses me for saying 'bastard'...It's her guild and she makes
    >> the rules, but c'mon...bastard???
    >>
    >> 28 Fury looking for new guild on Toxuilla :)
    >>

    > Sounds like you are better off for having been deguilded from that
    > particular guild, good luck finding a decent guild.

    Thanks Graeme
    I wasn't really looking for confirmation of my feelings, but I do feel
    better after reading your response. You're a pillar in this group and I
    usually agree with your posts (note no sarcasm emoticon). At least I feel
    like I wasn't totally out of line.

    LoonBoon

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:57:26 -0000, "Cheddar" <me@there.net> wrote:

    >> So she tosses me out of guild.
    >>
    >> This guild was described as an adult guild when I joined. There is
    >> constant sexual innuendo chat which no one seems to mind.
    >> But she tosses me for saying 'bastard'...It's her guild and she makes the
    >> rules, but c'mon...bastard???
    >
    >lol, dont worry about it. I've decided to avoid all guilds in EQ2, there are
    >way to many power mad leaders out there who seem to think they are running a
    >gulag and not playing a game.

    Every time I hear one of these stories, I feel even happier with my
    guild...

    And what's with all the carrots ?

    "LoonBoon" <LCallis@nuvox.net> skrev i en meddelelse
    > PGL: This is a family guild...

    As in children playing? This is what I would call an adult role playing
    game. When I role play a bad ogre or troll in Freeport I'm not going to use
    "baby talk" or being polite. At least you must be in Qeynos?

    How are they going to protect to children outside the quild? Everybody can
    /ooc /tell /yeld bastard or something even worse.

    Frandsen wrote:
    > "LoonBoon" <LCallis@nuvox.net> skrev i en meddelelse
    >
    >>PGL: This is a family guild...
    >

    > As in children playing?

    Well, in our guild, there were/are a few of us who do allow our
    children to play. Although for my daughter, her play time generally
    consists of jumping up and down on the beds in Shar Vahl, climbing
    trees and tents in Shadeweaver's and playing hide and seek with
    me when I'm on the other computer. :P

    Tracey

    >This is what I would call an adult role playing
    > game. When I role play a bad ogre or troll in Freeport I'm not going to use
    > "baby talk" or being polite. At least you must be in Qeynos?
    >
    > How are they going to protect to children outside the quild? Everybody can
    > /ooc /tell /yeld bastard or something even worse.

    I look at it this way. When people are in my house, I have every right
    to ask them to watch their language. When they're passing by on the
    street and yelling things, I don't.

    Tracey

    Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in news:420251DD.40009@aol.com:

    > Frandsen wrote:
    >> "LoonBoon" <LCallis@nuvox.net> skrev i en meddelelse
    >>
    >>>PGL: This is a family guild...
    >>

    >> As in children playing?
    >
    > Well, in our guild, there were/are a few of us who do allow our
    > children to play. Although for my daughter, her play time generally
    > consists of jumping up and down on the beds in Shar Vahl, climbing
    > trees and tents in Shadeweaver's and playing hide and seek with
    > me when I'm on the other computer. :P
    >
    > Tracey
    >
    >>This is what I would call an adult role playing
    >> game. When I role play a bad ogre or troll in Freeport I'm not going
    >> to use "baby talk" or being polite. At least you must be in Qeynos?
    >>
    >> How are they going to protect to children outside the quild?
    >> Everybody can /ooc /tell /yeld bastard or something even worse.
    >
    > I look at it this way. When people are in my house, I have every right
    > to ask them to watch their language. When they're passing by on the
    > street and yelling things, I don't.
    >
    > Tracey

    A bit of important detail was snipped...

    From the OP:

    "This guild was described as an adult guild when I joined. There is
    constant sexual innuendo chat which no one seems to mind. But she tosses
    me for saying 'bastard'...It's her guild and she makes the rules, but
    c'mon...bastard???"

    Had the guild been represented as a family guild to begin with, and were
    the sexual innuendo also silenced, then this would have been reasonable.
    As it stands, at least from the description of events, it was not
    reasonable, and the OP is better off for no longer being in that
    particular guild.

    --

    In article <420251DD.40009@aol.com>, Tracey wrote:
    > Well, in our guild, there were/are a few of us who do allow our children
    > to play. Although for my daughter, her play time generally consists of
    > jumping up and down on the beds in Shar Vahl, climbing trees and tents in
    > Shadeweaver's and playing hide and seek with me when I'm on the other
    > computer. :P

    It's fun to watch little kids in 3D computer games. A long time ago at
    work, we were doing some work on educational software, and for some reason
    wanted to see how kids would handle a 3D computer world, so we had the
    daughter of the boss, who was around 5 or 6 at the time (the daughter, not
    the boss!), get into a Quake 2 deathmatch level and run around. She was
    having a great time exploring.

    Then I got in and she had a lot of fun interacting with me, and she
    discovered accidently that she could shoot me. She had some wimpy gun
    equiped so it would take a lot to kill me, so she was having a great time
    firing away.

    Then I fired back with something like a rocket launcher and blew her to
    bits. She respawned and the next time she found me, she had a better weapon
    and killed me. She was quite happy.

    But then I respawned, and she killed me again. Repeat this a few times, and
    she's saying "I killed him...why is he alive?". So the next time she
    fragged me, she got a rocket launcher, and started methodically blowing away
    all the fragments of my corpse, to try to make sure there was nothing left
    to come back to life. Her parents swear that she had not watched any horror
    movies, so she came up with the "you must destroy every bit of the corpse to
    prevent resurrection" theory on her own. :-)

    --
    --Tim Smith

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:47:22 GMT, Tim Smith
    <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

    >It's fun to watch little kids in 3D computer games. A long time ago at
    >work, we were doing some work on educational software, and for some reason
    >wanted to see how kids would handle a 3D computer world, so we had the
    >daughter of the boss, who was around 5 or 6 at the time (the daughter, not
    >the boss!), get into a Quake 2 deathmatch level and run around. She was
    >having a great time exploring.
    >
    >Then I got in and she had a lot of fun interacting with me, and she
    >discovered accidently that she could shoot me. She had some wimpy gun
    >equiped so it would take a lot to kill me, so she was having a great time
    >firing away.
    >
    >Then I fired back with something like a rocket launcher and blew her to
    >bits. She respawned and the next time she found me, she had a better weapon
    >and killed me. She was quite happy.
    >
    >But then I respawned, and she killed me again. Repeat this a few times, and
    >she's saying "I killed him...why is he alive?". So the next time she
    >fragged me, she got a rocket launcher, and started methodically blowing away
    >all the fragments of my corpse, to try to make sure there was nothing left
    >to come back to life. Her parents swear that she had not watched any horror
    >movies, so she came up with the "you must destroy every bit of the corpse to
    >prevent resurrection" theory on her own. :-)

    *Waits for the wandering parent watchdog to have a fit over how you
    corrupted the innocent young girl* ;)

    --

    murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Given what you've written here" is pretty key.

    I sort of thought that might be the case, too. Always knows when to
    use a qualifier safety net. :)

    --
    Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
    www.lokari.net

    Just find a better guild, man. Don't waste your time with people like
    that. You also have to keep in mind that 75% of the people can't
    comprehend sarcasm online. I would go as far to say that she was on
    the rag and it was that time of month. There are so many guilds in
    EQ2 that surely you can find a better one within 2 days.

    In article <fvnk111l8oerqjfusb1ab2fg2as5o32pln@4ax.com>,
    hoffhargnogn@nospam.org says...

    > I would go as far to say that she was on
    > the rag and it was that time of month.

    Classy.

    I hope, for his sake, he doesn't end up in your guild.

    PS
    That conjunctive clause is redundant. (Unless you think 'the rag' &
    'that time of month' refer to separate things... in which case you can
    add idiocy to mysogyny on the list of your major shortcomings.)

    42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:MPG.1c8405ba26955b54989a49@shawnews:

    > In article <fvnk111l8oerqjfusb1ab2fg2as5o32pln@4ax.com>,
    > hoffhargnogn@nospam.org says...
    >

    >> I would go as far to say that she was on the rag and it was that
    >> time of month.
    >
    > Classy.
    >
    > I hope, for his sake, he doesn't end up in your guild.
    >
    > PS
    > That conjunctive clause is redundant. (Unless you think 'the rag' &
    > 'that time of month' refer to separate things... in which case you can
    > add idiocy to mysogyny on the list of your major shortcomings.)

    Don't forget topposting...

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 26 Dwarven Mystic, 22 Sage
    Aviv, 12 Gnome Brawler, 24 Provisioner

    If you have not found a Guild yet, give me a tell ingame. We are
    *player* friendly.

    Zygondi
    The Qeynos Elite
    Toxx